SSM Greyhounds 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Puck possession is a double edge sword. If you dont have the strength and size to get the puck back when you lose it you are in trouble. If your defense or your forward group cant consistently win the puck battle in the corner or remove guys from the front of the net or if you cant park a guy in front of the net in the offensive zone, you are not going to win games when the other team has talent, strength and is hungrier.
We are not reinventing hockey here. This is hockey 101 and every fan around me notices the same thing.
I'm backing the team 100 percent when I'm there but you have to take the blinders off a bit too!
I believe this is managements job to recognize this and I think thus far they have definitely brought in the talent but have forgot that we need the so called "sandpaper" too

Ryan O'Rourke and recent draft pick Marc Boudreau will turn into those sandpaper guys that you like so much. It's nice to get them, but we can't sacrifice our winning formula of speed and skill to do it.

I think you need to keep in mind that this was the second youngest team in the entire league. It's easy for guys like Jordan Sambrook to play physically, but age is a huge factor in this league and our young guys just weren't there yet. It's remarkable that we made it so far with such a young group.

Reactions: HockeyPops

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Only my opinion and this includes the following players presently on the team NOT having a spot for next year:
Calisti
Roth
Jacklin
Pucek
Hopefully, Raftis can make deals for these players and give them an opportunity to play regularly on another team.
Some may question me including Roth but last year in the playoffs he disappeared and this year in the playoffs he was non-existent.

I'll repost part of the comment I submitted earlier. Maybe you didn't read it - Jacklin had very limited ice time this season and so did Pucek. I'd be surprised if either one want to return. Roth was simply never played in the playoffs this season. Why, who knows. Being a rookie on a stacked team makes sense to me, but this year was puzzling. Just looked at the SOO website and was surprised at the stats. Kartye and Carroll had 3pts, Johnson and Mackay had 4pts, Roth had 3pts and I barely remember him being on the ice. I feel losing a 20+ goals scorer would be a big loss for the Hounds this coming season because no one left on the roster is going to carry the load lost by the graduating class. We need to take advantage of getting very good OA players.

I find your post once again simply foolish. They Hounds will lacking scoring next season and you believe the best option is to trade Jacklin, a big and hard skating forward, Pucek, a big skilled forward who was scratched endlessly so who knows what he can do, and Roth, a 20 goal scorer. What is logic?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Roth's game crumbles when it gets physical.

Pucek is like a softer Tim Gettinger.

Jacklin has hads made of cement.

I don't feel we need any of those three going forward either.

Reactions: hounds72

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Roth's game crumbles when it gets physical.

Pucek is like a softer Tim Gettinger.

Jacklin has hads made of cement.

I don't feel we need any of those three going forward either.
And yes I agree...roth is too small for playoff hockey and coach dean realized this. Pucek played alot better once pytlick showed up but definitely not good enough to take a spot away form a Canadian boy...otto makinen and tokarev were in the same boat....and jacklin has more heart than everybody but unfortunately not quite at a skill level for major A. However i think on the right team he could be a very physical 3rd or 4th line guy

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
And yes I agree...roth is too small for playoff hockey and coach dean realized this. Pucek played alot better once pytlick showed up but definitely not good enough to take a spot away form a Canadian boy...otto makinen and tokarev were in the same boat....and jacklin has more heart than everybody but unfortunately not quite at a skill level for major A. However i think on the right team he could be a very physical 3rd or 4th line guy

Seems like all three should be traded, but it's hard to make such conclusions if neither of these boys has ice time. Size, talent and heart are all import characteristics, but it's difficult to argue with stats. I agree, we should always look at home for boys, but I do not agree you should make such comments about taking a spot away from a Canadian boy. You are clearly a fan of coach dean. I'm definitely not sold on him and I'm guessing next season will tell all of us a lot about his ability as a coach.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
but I do not agree you should make such comments about taking a spot away from a Canadian boy.
The wording he chose wasnt ideal.

But if he meant that we only have so many roster spots, and if Pucek remains then we forego our opportunity to draft a real impact import, and if our newly drafted impact import fails to report we have many good domestic picks in the pipeline that could replace Pucek's spot and would produce at the same rate.

If he meant that, then I happen to agree. Releasing Pucek carries very little risk with loads of upside.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
I mean I think we should develop our own kids and import spots should only be for players that are game changers...tolchinsky...pytlick are game changers...there are lots of good hockey players here in Ontario that deserve to be developed.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
And in all fairness..I actually like pucek...I think he could be a real crash and bang type player...very effective on the chase and in the corners...however I dont think the hounds staff utilize these types of players properly

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Wait wait he kinda is...BUT we sat him all season cause remember we dont like those players in our system...and there are probably 50 other kids within a 500km radius from here that play an even tougher game that we could use!

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Wait wait he kinda is...BUT we sat him all season cause remember we dont like those players in our system...and there are probably 50 other kids within a 500km radius from here that play an even tougher game that we could use!
He was injured a good part of the season. He just returned again at the start of the playoffs but struggled and did not get back into the lineup until Peca got suspended.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
He could have had 4 or 5 so far. Beecher’s also on the team and wow 6’3” and 210lbs already. We could just get those 2, Hayton back 2 more OA’s and 1 impact Import and viola!!! Lol sorry off season day dreaming!

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
I mean I think we should develop our own kids and import spots should only be for players that are game changers...tolchinsky...pytlick are game changers...there are lots of good hockey players here in Ontario that deserve to be developed.

Surprised by your reply and I'm likely stirring the pot, but Jacklin is from Ontario and you might see value in him staying with the Hounds. So is your issue with Pucek and Roth not being from Ontario? Pucek was hurt, but if healthy he might be a game changer or at least he would be a solid contribution to the Hounds if he remained healthy. If I remember correctly he was invited to an NHL Camp at the start of the season and played a lot before being injured. Small or not, all most impossible to argue with the points Roth puts up. He was in the top ten for rookie scoring last season and had 21 goals, 42 points this past season. Hmm...... This is an anonymous board, tell us how you really feel.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
I'll clarify here. The two import spots should only be used for 2 elite players. Besides a couple of you here everybody I've talked to would agree on this.

If your imports dont turn into game changers you are better off to run with somebody that you have chosen in the ohl draft or free agency... could careless if it's a local boy or a gabe guertler from Florida.

I am biased though and i do love seeing kids that went through the ontario minor hockey programs make it to major junior A, but I also recognize and appreciate the programs in the USA and in particular Michigan

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Is it possible to see Caufield here next year? Whoever drafts him will have alot of say as to where he plays. If we can get Caufield, get Hayton back, which I think is likely, still have Pytlik, a year older O'Rourke plus Holmes and Boudreau, who knows? Could be a potentially very good team again next year.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
It all depends on which NHL team drafts him and how that team views playing at Wisconsin vs playing in the OHL for the Hounds.

I’m sure he and his family and advisors will be pushing hard for Wisconsin, because growing up in Steven’s Point up the highway from Madison it’s probably been his DREAM to play for the Badgers. As playing for the Hounds would be for kids growing up here in town!

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
John Beecher would be another kid in the same boat once he gets drafted as well. NHL team deciding which is best, Hounds or U of M?

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Of course the nhl teams want them to play in the CHL. The last thing they want is their draft picks doing a a full 3 to 4 years in NCAA..then leaving school and becoming a free agent and pulling a Jimmy vesey. Playing in the CHL guarantees he plays for your team...where the college root is like throwing away a high end draft pick sometimes

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I agree but some US based teams might be more inclined to let them play 2 or more years in college against older kids. Don’t forget the whole US mindset is high school, college then pros! US born kids grow up with that and the whole junior hockey thing really has to be sold to the families. I’d be shocked if he did report, that would be great though but I’m not holding my breath.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A week ago I was banned from the saginaw discussion for telling them Prosvetov's antics were going to cost them, and when it did I would be back with an "I told you so"...

Well, I might not be able to post it in the saginaw discussion, but I TOLD YOU SO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad