SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
A move had to be made. I feel bad for Propp, but he has easily been the worst player in the league and has almost torpedoed our chances at a good seed. Hopefully Brkin to bring some stability to this team.

Reactions: HockeyPops

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Brkin is a really good goalie. Had a rough go of it in the WHL this year but he had a stellar season with Spokane last year. Was really surprised when no one wanted to trade for him (in the WHL), but not surprised he was eventually claimed.

Not surprised he was claimed and traded in the OHL either.

Hopefully he can match the magic of last year because if he does, you've easily got one of the best goalies in the OHL.

Also much better than Bonello... Who I guess is getting dumped by Kingston now? For a guy who is hardly an upgrade? I guess they really wanted the 13th rounder too :laugh:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A move had to be made. I feel bad for Propp, but he has easily been the worst player in the league and has almost torpedoed our chances at a good seed. Hopefully Brkin to bring some stability to this team.
Propp is not exclusively responsible for our poor stretch of play, but he did not play very well and is certainly partly to blame. Ruicci's article last week made it clear that the leash was very short. Anybody surprised by today's moves really has to take their head out of the sand.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I know he can be sent back to junior after 10 games, but would he still be paid his entry level contract, which I believe is $700000. Does not make sense to pay that much and sent back to junior. Has this ever happened to anyone before.
He gets paid per game he is up, regardless of whether he is dressed. If he gets sent back he stops getting paid.

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
His numbers are better than Villaltas last year.

If Malik comes at WJC this is also a HUGE win in long run. Bailey pans our and he becomes a piece we can use to add to our team without even really taking away.

Malik's season ends December 7th in Frydek

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
If Brkin can bring some stability to the crease then things should turn around very quickly.

We are one of only 6 teams (Oshawa, Ottawa, London, Saginaw, Windsor) that gives up less than 30 shots per game. The defense has been quite good in that regard.

All of those teams are in home playoff spots without elite offenses. The Greyhounds have more goals than all of them. Reducing chances from your opposition is a recipe for success.

It really goes to show what a difference a goaltender can make. Good luck to Brkin.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Will be first to admit I was wrong on Propp. Thought he would be much better as his numbers in North Bay (on a bad team) were much better. Not sure what happened?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Will be first to admit I was wrong on Propp. Thought he would be much better as his numbers in North Bay (on a bad team) were much better. Not sure what happened?
North Bay typically plays pretty good structured defense. They generate most of their chances through neutral zone turnovers and odd man rushes the other way but don't give up many themselves. The Soo is a very different team, generating a lot more from defensemen joining the rush, but it's probably not a stretch to say Propp had worse defensive zone coverage than what he had in North Bay. We need a goalie that can make those saves off the odd man rushes because of the way we play.

Villalta was the kind of goalie that we could rely on to bail us out a few times a game when we coughed up a few good opportunities. Propp struggled this year in those situations, for whatever reason. Maybe he plays better under the North Bay defensive system.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
North Bay typically plays pretty good structured defense. They generate most of their chances through neutral zone turnovers and odd man rushes the other way but don't give up many themselves. The Soo is a very different team, generating a lot more from defensemen joining the rush, but it's probably not a stretch to say Propp had worse defensive zone coverage than what he had in North Bay. We need a goalie that can make those saves off the odd man rushes because of the way we play.

Villalta was the kind of goalie that we could rely on to bail us out a few times a game when we coughed up a few good opportunities. Propp struggled this year in those situations, for whatever reason. Maybe he plays better under the North Bay defensive system.

But North Bay was 2nd worst in the league in shots against at 37 a game last year, while the Soo ran around 31. The "defensive system" thing in North Bay is a myth - they are just outdated stylistically and because of that no one wants to go there and play in that system.

Propp last year faced an average of over 37 shots a game, and a ridiculous average of 51 per game in the playoffs. This year in the Soo he faced an average of 32 a game. Hope the change of teams helps.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think he gets payed regardless after ten games even if he is sent back to junior

NHL salaries are pro rated for any players on a two way deal.. They are paid differently for time in the NHL vs AHL and not paid at all outside of signing bonuses during time in junior.

louis

Apr 3, 2014
Sudbury fans are making fun of us on their site. Are Sudbury games on tv? We happen to be there right now.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
sort of excited to see what Brkin can do.

i hope we don't leave him out to dry in his first game and he holds sudbury to a goal or two.

getting the "stink" out would be huge for the young guys to "turn the page".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad