SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Also Mario Culina is also with the Badgers. It seems strange that none of them could get a shot at the AHL doesn't it?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Going from the Sault Star article, it appears that Matt Halushak and CJ Clarke have remained with the team along with all of the expected players.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Propp
Taylor

Leguerrier
Wale
Calisti
Wawrow
O'Rourke
Halushak
Holmes

Peca
Clarke
Roth
Hayton
Jacklin
Trott
Carroll
Kartye
MacKay
Pytlik
Johnston
McLean
Dickinson
Kerins
Watson
Mufarreh
Boudreau

Reactions: HockeyPops

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
For those who couldn’t catch the red-white game here’s a little insight;

The game looked sloppy at times and the vets (including Clarke) showed they can turn the switch on and off seemingly at will. There was a good hustle amongst the players in general, much more than previous years. Notice that there was a little more muscle used instead of finesse all the time. Guys we’re able to use their strength/body to create turnovers or block lanes.
Both the vets and younger players play extremely fast and there were a lot of smart decisions with the puck. Didn’t see many poor decisions or “show off” moves. Many of the players that were cut actually played a good game.
Propp and Taylor both looked calm and confident in their only period (3rd) and in the shootout (Taylor struggling a little more in the shootout).

Overall it looks like even if this team doesn’t contend they’ll still be exciting to watch. Also liked how almost everyone was smiling and laughing while interacting during stoppages. This team seems to be close together.

Reactions: HockeyPops

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I like what I’ve seen at camp so far. Is it a little suspicious that no media coverage focussed on Barrett Hayton, and even the team’s list of players on the current roster has him at the bottom of the list?
It’s a big question mark for the season. What does everyone think?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I like what I’ve seen at camp so far. Is it a little suspicious that no media coverage focussed on Barrett Hayton, and even the team’s list of players on the current roster has him at the bottom of the list?
It’s a big question mark for the season. What does everyone think?
I would not make a mountain out of a mole hill. They mentioned that he is training in Arizona. Obviously he is focusing on making the NHL, and everyone understands that. Hopefully for the Hounds he returns, but nobody knows how things will go.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
For sure it was a better red and white game then the last few.

I thought the goalie Heaslip has alot of potential. He was always jacked up throughout training camp and def had some skill...came up through same program as villata .

Watson has some serious skill and can do lots on the fly. This kid is gonna be a stud.

Dickinson can move. Very sleek, fast and like watson very creative.

Clarke was a man amonsgst the boys. Hopefully he can carry this forward when dealing with more elite talent. But we need a big body and hes one that has some skill

Holmes comes as advertised and will be a mold of Orourke but a little beefier then orourke was at this age

Prop is solid. No proble. Back there.

Muffareh came back alot more filled out and has a good eye for the game...and lots of skill

The 2nd year players will need to be on their A game consistently to prevent a couple of these kids from stealing spots

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Twice Ive watched CJ Clarke look like he was ready for a breakout in the preseason and a 25-30 goal season. Twice I watched him fall completely short of that. 4g and 9pts in 5 preseason games last year then 10g in 70 games once the real games began. That's a HUGE discrepancy. He often looks like he has the skill set to produce he just never actually does. I would temper my expectations.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Twice Ive watched CJ Clarke look like he was ready for a breakout in the preseason and a 25-30 goal season. Twice I watched him fall completely short of that. 4g and 9pts in 5 preseason games last year then 10g in 70 games once the real games began. That's a HUGE discrepancy. He often looks like he has the skill set to produce he just never actually does. I would temper my expectations.

I think we'll start the year with CJ Clarke and see how he's doing when some of these teams with 4 or 5 OA's (Sarnia, London, Niagara, and others) have to pare down their roster. At that point we can either keep him or add an OA blueliner.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
The hounds are known for turning careers around....tyler gaudet, bobby macintyre and recently jaden peca..this kids been put in a position to do good things...we will definitely have to wait and see

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Deans quote in the paper was crystal clear. He expects CJ to put up points if he is stealing a roster spot from one of the kids. If CJ falls back into old habits, he won't stick around.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Deans quote in the paper was crystal clear. He expects CJ to put up points if he is stealing a roster spot from one of the kids. If CJ falls back into old habits, he won't stick around.
If you showed up and watched him play one game, you'd swear he could put up 60pts+ with his foot speed, stickhandling and skating abilities but the regular season starts and he just becomes a shadow. I thought maybe the move to Missy would do it. Nope. Fool me once and all that....CJ's already got me twice. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Reactions: Dogsgottabite

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Hey guys, I’ve got some quick hits on some soo guys from the game today in Sudbury

This Dickinson kid you guys have I totally thought had to be an NCAA kid you guys stole of your first rounder cause he just blew me away. Absolutely love his game and couldn’t believe he’s an 02 FA. If you guys don’t keep him around I’d hope to god some team in this league takes a go at him because I think he’s the next Anthony Cirelli though it is only in one viewing.

Calisti looked like a machine today on the ice. Don’t know what they do to kids up in the soo but I swear the development is awesome I’m super impressed with how he looked today.

Joe Carroll manhandled our boys... don’t wanna talk about it.

Kartye looked much better then I recalled he was quite fun to watch today and I think he’ll take a good step this season too.

It was either 14 or 15 I’m forgetting which now but one was an absolute pest and really got some of the wolves rookies going it was pretty entertaining even for wolves fans.

Overall, I love Hounds hockey, if I wasn’t a wolves fan I’d definitely be a soo fan. You guys just play such a methodical game it’s a treat to watch and frankly I prefer it to even watching the Knights. You seem to have a nice crop again this year.

Oh also... I didn’t even notice Clarke. Like at all. I hope your coach doesn’t keep him over the kids.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
If you showed up and watched him play one game, you'd swear he could put up 60pts+ with his foot speed, stickhandling and skating abilities but the regular season starts and he just becomes a shadow. I thought maybe the move to Missy would do it. Nope. Fool me once and all that....CJ's already got me twice. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if he did.
Your observations are right on point. Skilled but soft.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Hounds. Let's grab ryan merkley from the Pete's. We could trade a forward and potentially a dman. Clear up the some of the cluster in our forward group. That would be the puck moving dman we need.. another dangelo. You ship a dman with him to the Pete's and you have a potential slot open for an overage shut down dmann at some point

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Future is very very bright for the Greyhounds. Going to be a fun team. We are deep.

No Ryan Merekly. He has no trade value and has the chance to ruin the entire dressing room. Too high of risk.

He will be in Europe playing

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Hey guys, I’ve got some quick hits on some soo guys from the game today in Sudbury

This Dickinson kid you guys have I totally thought had to be an NCAA kid you guys stole of your first rounder cause he just blew me away. Absolutely love his game and couldn’t believe he’s an 02 FA. If you guys don’t keep him around I’d hope to god some team in this league takes a go at him because I think he’s the next Anthony Cirelli though it is only in one viewing.

Calisti looked like a machine today on the ice. Don’t know what they do to kids up in the soo but I swear the development is awesome I’m super impressed with how he looked today.

Joe Carroll manhandled our boys... don’t wanna talk about it.

Kartye looked much better then I recalled he was quite fun to watch today and I think he’ll take a good step this season too.

It was either 14 or 15 I’m forgetting which now but one was an absolute pest and really got some of the wolves rookies going it was pretty entertaining even for wolves fans.

Overall, I love Hounds hockey, if I wasn’t a wolves fan I’d definitely be a soo fan. You guys just play such a methodical game it’s a treat to watch and frankly I prefer it to even watching the Knights. You seem to have a nice crop again this year.

Oh also... I didn’t even notice Clarke. Like at all. I hope your coach doesn’t keep him over the kids.

I don't see Clarke staying very long

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Future is very very bright for the Greyhounds. Going to be a fun team. We are deep.

No Ryan Merekly. He has no trade value and has the chance to ruin the entire dressing room. Too high of risk.

He will be in Europe playing

Jordan Smith can nip that in that attitude in the butt.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
I think that the Hounds should use their 3rd OA spot on a D-man and a right shot one if at all possible to shore up their d-corp.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think that the Hounds should use their 3rd OA spot on a D-man and a right shot one if at all possible to shore up their d-corp.

Grima is such an obvious fit. Sarnia has done nothing to address their OA logjam and their fans seem to think that he is the odd man out.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Calisti has so far been the surprise of the preseason for me. Holmes and Halushak have looked good. Wouldn't surprise me if Raftis sits on this decision for a while and see how things are looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->