SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
K so let’s say Malik shows up ... so we do any trades???

The last 7 games of this calendar year should decide that. A good stretch puts us right near the division lead, but a rough stretch leaves us fighting for a playoff spot.

I can't fathom a scenario where we sell, but I wouldn't mind grabbing an extra OA from a team that upgrades. Guys like Cole Tymkin, Macauley Carson, and Jake Durham come to mind and could be had for peanuts if they decide to add better options.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
I'm not seeing the need with all 8 guys probably returning next year. I'm excited to see Constantinou get a lot more ice time as he continues to adjust to our system.
I’m not sure all 8 would return. LeGuerrier would be an OA and scours play in Laval in MTL’s system where they can better him. They could even send him to the ECHL.

But I agree with Constantinou, it appears he’s taking good strides so far. His 200ft game as a Dman is slowly improving. If that trajectory keeps up he’ll be a good anchor for the 1st line RD spot next season (when we should go a bit deeper in the playoffs).

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Montreal is in no rush to sign LeGuerrier. They have his rights until summer 2021. It is quite likely that he is back next season.

I disagree, LeGuerrier is a solid stay at home d that doesn't have a history of injury issues like others. He might be back as an OA, but Montreal will sign him at the end of the season.

Reactions: Marj44

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Montreal is in no rush to sign LeGuerrier. They have his rights until summer 2021. It is quite likely that he is back next season.

We’ve seen the same age situation with Conor Timmins where he was not returned (although being out all year skews that). And I’m aware there’s a talent difference between Timmins and LeGuerrier but if I were in management I’d consider LeGuerrier gone and hope for him to be sent back.

We’ll see if he signs by the end of the year or offseason. Gotta remember that Montreal lacks depth on the left side of the defence and if they buy out Alzner then there’s room in Laval for LeGuerrier (though he seems to be able to play both sides).

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i'd put money on Leguerrier being back. he's not pro-ready. he strikes me as an ideal OA candidate. he needs to return for a final season where he ties it all together.

obviously his return will benefit us greatly as well.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Kind of apples to oranges comparing a second round defenseman with over a ppg, with a fifth rounder with barely 0.5 ppg.

I wonder what % of fifth rounders get signed in their first year? Can't be very high.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Just checked the 2018 draft. Only one of the first 10 players drafted in the fifth round is signed 18 months after the draft occured.

Is the stat truly that much different for 3rd or 4th round pics? Guessing not. I'm assuming approximately 4 of the first ten players drafted in the second round are signed with the 18 months of the draft.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Their handling of him has been nothing short of disgraceful. I feel bad for the young man. He deserves regular shifts in the NHL or the OHL instead of having his development harmed like this.
Cannot understand why he has not been loaned to the world jr team.

Reactions: Birddog

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Very true but I think it’s more likely we find out sooner than that based on an article I recently read.
“9. Pros or Nos?: Mark Hunter and Hockey Canada President Tom Renney have split the duties to chase down NHL GMs in terms of player availability. Here’s a list of the players available, their NHL team, and the GM of that team, through NHL games of Sunday night:

Noah Dobson, NY Islanders
8GP | 0G | 2A | 14:02 ATOI
GM: Lou Lamoriello
Last Game Played: Dec. 9

Barret Hayton, Arizona Coyotes
14GP | 1G | 3A | 11:08 ATOI
GM: John Chayka
Last Game Played: Nov. 29

Kirby Dach, Chicago Blackhawks
24GP | 5G | 5A | 11:59 ATOI
GM: Stan Bowman
Last game played: Dec. 8

10. Freeze Time: Keep in mind, NHL rosters are frozen on Dec. 19 and if a player is not released before the deadline, he will not be eligible for the WJC.
11. Making the Cut: Hockey Canada head scout Brad McEwen says he expects the team to be picked after Thursday’s game and doesn’t anticipate bringing players overseas who would be cut and sent back.”

So it’s more likely we will find out soon. They play Usports tonight and tomorrow and will pick the team after tomorrow’s game. Another article I read yesterday stated they will be leaving for the Czech Republic on Friday. If they are not planing on taking anyone overseas that they will potentially send home, then one would assume they will have their full team on the plane. That said, I can’t imagine they will leave a few roster spots open and run the risk of being short handed if the pro players are not loaned out. This points more clearly to the roster being picked on Thursday as being as close to concrete as you would get. The article I cited above also states that they will be taking 3 goalies which hockey Canada said is typical when this tournament is held overseas, but that eliminates a roster spot that they could have left open.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Their handling of him has been nothing short of disgraceful. I feel bad for the young man. He deserves regular shifts in the NHL or the OHL instead of having his development harmed like this.
I went looking for other examples of 19 year olds that stuck in the NHL with this type of light usage to start the season (14 GP by Dec. 10). I couldn't find any. Then I went looking for players with this type of light usage who were eventually sent down. I finally gave up that search too.

First round draft picks play. Somewhere. Without exception. Until now.

#FreeHayton

Reactions: Fischhaber
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad