SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
TSN says that only 1 forward left to be cut before the entire roster is finalized. Apparently Formenton is injured and will not be on the team. Pretty tough loss and you’d have to feel pretty horrible for the young fella.

Hopefully, both Frost and Hayton have done enough to not be that final cut.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Frost and Hayton made Team Canada way to go boys

Technically, not yet.
There is one final cut to make on the forward group. The team is waiting to see the results on how far along the two other injured players are. If one of them is not good to go... I would think it’s a no brained that both make the team. If both players are capable of playing, someone still has to be sent home. Let’s hope it’s neither of them. Fingers crossed, we will anxiously await the final cut.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Technically, not yet.
There is one final cut to make on the forward group. The team is waiting to see the results on how far along the two other injured players are. If one of them is not good to go... I would think it’s a no brained that both make the team. If both players are capable of playing, someone still has to be sent home. Let’s hope it’s neither of them. Fingers crossed, we will anxiously await the final cut.

I do not think either will even be in the realm of consideration for Canada. My guess is Entwistle if they are willing to cut a winger. Even though he is big, I do not think he is any better than the guys Canada cut (including someone like Ratcliffe) and Canada is not small up front anyways. He's easily the worst forward on that offense right now IMO.

If they are sticking to centers, Anderson-Dolan may actually not make it. Not only is there the uncertainty of the wrist injury, but he is not one of the better guys they have anyways. It would either be him or someone like Studnicka or Bowers. Maybe even Vilardi would be considered, because he has suffered a lot of injuries and there is no telling whether he would be 100% for the tournament. Even if he was, I am not sure he would be one of the top guys playing anyways.

It would get a little bit tighter if Rasmussen and Thomas come back from the NHL though. Rasmussen would likely end up on the wing, and that would certainly mean Entwistle would be the one to go, but Thomas is another center who would probably center the top line. Of course there would still be guys I'd cut over Frost and Hayton down the middle (see above), but they may not be more than 3rd or 4th liners at that point.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Technically, not yet.
Yes frost has officially made the team I know for a fact he was told last night he is on the team

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Pizza guy? :)

Most likely billets a player or two and pumps them for information that, although is an inside track, should be respected as a more confidential relationship.

There’s not an ounce of fact in my statement, just a hunch/opinion.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Most likely billets a player or two and pumps them for information that, although is an inside track, should be respected as a more confidential relationship.

There’s not an ounce of fact in my statement, just a hunch/opinion.
No I don’t billet just in the know I guess

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Let’s just take a minute to acknowledge Ethan Taylor. When he came in earlier for Villalta (injury) he had the vets in front of him. They could help carry him and it was more show and tell type.
This weekend the Hounds relied on him to be the guy. There’s no Matty V on the bench to save you in a bad game, there’s no Frost or Hayton to help carry some pressure. It’s you and we need you to help the young team in front of you.
The kid responds by going 2-0 with a .953 saves percentage. Big fan of this guy since last year’s camp and he’s looking good.

I think it’s safe to say the future of the Hounds looks bright. The young kids are here to play despite being small and young.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Let’s just take a minute to acknowledge Ethan Taylor. When he came in earlier for Villalta (injury) he had the vets in front of him. They could help carry him and it was more show and tell type.
This weekend the Hounds relied on him to be the guy. There’s no Matty V on the bench to save you in a bad game, there’s no Frost or Hayton to help carry some pressure. It’s you and we need you to help the young team in front of you.
The kid responds by going 2-0 with a .953 saves percentage. Big fan of this guy since last year’s camp and he’s looking good.

I think it’s safe to say the future of the Hounds looks bright. The young kids are here to play despite being small and young.

Between Taylor and the other goalie in Buffalo....Owen Parker I believe is like 6’5”? Our goalies will be our biggest players going forward! Lol

Reactions: Houndzfan

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

Quietly the Greyhounds just continue to win and are always it seems competitive. I say quietly and I think that is because for all the success the team has it has been to the Memorial Cup twice I think and one once? Not totally sure on that but I know that last step of success seems to be a big one for the Greyhounds! Love the Uniforms (Whites) look awesome! LOL....

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Quietly the Greyhounds just continue to win and are always it seems competitive. I say quietly and I think that is because for all the success the team has it has been to the Memorial Cup twice I think and one once? Not totally sure on that but I know that last step of success seems to be a big one for the Greyhounds! Love the Uniforms (Whites) look awesome! LOL....

We went to 3 consecutive Memorial Cups, actually.

Reactions: Buttsy

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
We went to 3 consecutive Memorial Cups, actually.

Cheers thanks for the update I said "I think" for that exact reason. Your Team is one that has to be respected for their ability to compete pretty much annually. Seems sometimes not to get the respect they deserve maybe it's geography from being from the "Great White".........LOL...anyway awesome organization!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I was browsing the rookie scoring leaders and there are 5 Greyhounds in the top 33. This shouldn't surprise anyone who watches the team. I was curious if other teams had some late round success like us, or if they relied primarily on high picks. Here's what I found for guys after the third round.

Before the list, I should also mention that 9th rounder Ethan Taylor is one of the top rookie goalies.

11. Jordan Frasca (Wsr 7th), 13 pts
11. Jacob Winterton (Flt 10th), 13 pts
15. Mason Millman (Sag 7th), 13 pts
16. Rory Kerins* (SSM 4th), 12 pts
17. Cullen McLean (SSM 15th), 12 pts
20. (Ryan O'Rourke* would be here)
25. Alex Johnston (SSM 6th), 8 pts
27. Avery Hayes* (Ham 6th), 8 pts
33. Tye Kartye (SSM 8th), 7 pts

*2002 birth year

Curiously, all of these players come from the same division except for Avery Hayes of Hamilton. While other teams seem to almost stumble into late round successes, the Hounds have made a habit of it.

This is no fluke. If I did the same for last year, it would have been Ryan Roth, Cole MacKay, Joe Carroll, Zack Trott, Brett Jacklin, Jacob Legurrier, etc.

I just wanted to give credit and a thumbs up to the scouts and coaching staff that select the right players and develop them beyond expectations.

Last edited:

Doc25

Dec 16, 2018
Between Taylor and the other goalie in Buffalo....Owen Parker I believe is like 6’5”? Our goalies will be our biggest players going forward! Lol

Curious as to who yous guys see as the goalie of future. Taylor or parker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad