SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Half season rental player for picks? And player? Barrie is going no where so no shame there. Its a buyers market not many teams making runs and excess of great players on teams that wont go no where...

You obviously don't follow OHL trades very much if you think that is even half of Keane's value, even in this supposed buyers market. Look what Robertson went for. The rumored Studnicka deal is huge as well.

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
DiPietro and Luukkonen are better just off of the top of my head. It's not even close. There are probably a few others who are good as well.

That being said, he is more than good enough to steal a series, even from the top teams. SSM has an easy path to the conference finals unless they play London before then. It sounds like OS and Guelph are selling, so that means the only London, SSM and maybe Saginaw (who could add to their group for a run this year) would be the ones competing in the West. Then just look at how much of a powerhouse SSM was last year, but they ended up losing to Hamilton who had 23 less points than them in the standings.

I think SSM buys, but they will be strategic buys. They will not waste assets on rentals. They will look at 99's they can bring back as OA's. There are a few teams that are selling that have too many 99's to bring back for next year, and I think SSM could add a top 9 winger (i.e. Luke Boka from Windsor, Bradley Chenier from North Bay, Jake Durham from Flint, etc.) and top 4 LD (i.e. Jakob Brahaney out of Kingston or Kade Landry out of Hamilton) to round out their group. It'll probably cost a few young roster players (i.e. Calisti or one of the 01' forwards), and maybe a few third round picks, but since SSM has done so well with hitting on later round picks in the past few years, it does not hurt them as much as it does other teams.

I have already said this earlier though so I am just repeating myself really.

Luukkonen is a stud. A case can be made for DiPietro though. Him and Vilalta are on the same level imo. And I agree with you I think we’ll see some 99s brought in. Personally I’d love to see Brett Neumann in a greyhounds uniform.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Pretty dominant effort by the Hounds tonight, outplayed Saginaw by a fairly significant margin. That's the way hockey goes sometimes.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So many high quality chances tonight that we just couldn't finish on. Rusty from the break perhaps. Oh well.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Speculation about a potential Hayton trade on the Ottawa board:
According to JF Plante, the 67’s are cooking up a deal for another Canadian WJ player.

Am hoping it would be Barrett Hayton for the next two years!

Neuman is a 19 year old. His cost would be very high and would also need to include additional 2nds on his return as an OA. I can't see that being a picks only deal. He isn't in the same category as Suzuki but he really isn't all that far behind for cost of acquisition.

Regarding Haydon, I can't see it either but who knows. His price would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of:

Tolnai
Quinn
Three 2nds
Three 3rds
One 5th
Two conditional 2nds (playing next year)

For

Hayton
Sambrook
Reminder: 9 OHL Canadian WJ players; Bouchard, DiPietro, Entwistle, Frost, Hayton, Phillips, Studnicka, Suzuki, Tippett

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Sudbury has always been a thorn in SSM's side. No matter how good or bad SSM has been since I started watching, Sudbury have always been able to give the Hounds the gears. Just so happens this year both teams are doing well. Good match up last night. Was fun to watch.
Hounds have some good depth, even with the two big guns gone. No wonder the idea of selling isn’t that appealing.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Re: Dominic Mufarreh's status

I found this link to the Affiliations At Large document for Junior 'A' hockey.
4. The final date for final declaration of any Affiliate-at-Large is January 15th. However, no player can be used as an affiliate until his status has been approved at the OJHL/OHA office utilizing the appropriate submission form. Player and parental signatures will continue to be required.

7. All affiliate players acquired through the Affiliation-at-Large process are permitted to play 10
games as an affiliate player. Once their registered lower category team is eliminated from
regular competition including playoffs, the players in question can play an unlimited number of
games at the higher level, only if they have played a minimum of 10 games with their registered
lower category team. Players not meeting this requirement will be limited to 10 games only with
the higher category as an affiliate.

Thinking this might apply to Mufarreh, as he has only played 9 games for the hounds. Might also apply to Watson, depending on how many games the hounds plan on dressing him for. Might also apply to Peccia as he has only dressed for 3 games.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the Greyhounds may have only used 23 "regular" player cards if they have 3 players on "AP" player cards. That would leave potentially 7 "regular" cards still available.

Reactions: shot caller

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Total speculation on my part, but our friend Hounds Insider said earlier today that Demeo might be going to Barrie.

Peca is having a down year, but he looked really solid last season and can return as an OA. He's a real puck hound and plays our style.

Reactions: soo hound girl

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Total speculation on my part, but our friend Hounds Insider said earlier today that Demeo might be going to Barrie.

Peca is having a down year, but he looked really solid last season and can return as an OA. He's a real puck hound and plays our style.

Exactly the type of player I thought SSM would go after. 99' winger. Obviously there were a bunch of potential fits (I said Boka from Windsor, etc.), but Peca makes sense too...

Especially if it is a close to direct swap for DeMeo.

I could imagine SSM could make one or even two moves for a 99' defenseman, one for both sides of the defense. One of those packages could be Calisti + picks, and the other could be a forward (i.e. Jacklin) + picks.

Howdeshell - Frost - Roth
Trott - Hayton - MacKay
Kerins - Carroll - Peca
Kartye - McLean - Johnston
Pucek/Watson/Mufarreh

O'Rourke - Hollowell
99' - Sambrook
Wale - 99'
LeGuerrier

Villalta - Taylor

That is a pretty good lineup, and would not cost too much in picks or players off of the roster. Plus all of the guys you add would be brought back for next year.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
From the best prospect guy in the business @Brock

Jaden Peca - Barrie Colts
I sound a little like a broken record, but here's another one of those offensive sparkplugs for the Colts whose game took massive strides this season. 7 points in 2017. 47 in 2018. Love Peca's intensity level on the ice. He's one of the better forecheckers in the league and despite being under 6'0, he's terrific at creating space for linemates because of how well he works the wall and drives the net. There's a reason why whoever the Colts put with Willms and Peca found success.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Robertson got a comparable or slightly better 01 along with 4 2nds and 3 3rds for Robertson. Take off a 2nd for Paquette and I would expect something in the same range.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Peca sounds like a player in Hayden Verbeek's mold. Similar stats to Verbeek's second last season too. Sounds like a good pickup with some potential upside. Can anyone comment on this particular comparison?

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Peca sounds like a player in Hayden Verbeek's mold. Similar stats to Verbeek's second last season too. Sounds like a good pickup with some potential upside. Can anyone comment on this particular comparison?
Nothing has been confirmed on this trade so no clue if it has or will happen

Reactions: HockeyPops

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Interesting times for sure. I hope we either sell small or buy, but don’t stand pat.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
predicting that if Morgan Frost gets traded it will either be to Ottawa or Niagra not London as most speculate. I think Hunter is going
after Suzuki from Owen Sound as his impact forward. Also if Raftis decides to send an overager to complete deal with Ottawa or Niagra
if its Ottawa I think you will see Sambrook go along with Frost if its Niagra I think you will see Hollowell go with Frost.

Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad