SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What a night for Pytlik! Raftis has done it again, getting a stud from Europe with a late pick.

I said Peca would be a ppg player with the Hounds when the trade happened, but he's doing even better than I had expected. Great night for him as well.

Ethan Taylor did a heck of a job to keep us in it early as well. Hopefully Matty V can be back soon, but we'll be just fine in the meantime.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
What a night for Pytlik! Raftis has done it again, getting a stud from Europe with a late pick.

I said Peca would be a ppg player with the Hounds when the trade happened, but he's doing even better than I had expected. Great night for him as well.

Ethan Taylor did a heck of a job to keep us in it early as well. Hopefully Matty V can be back soon, but we'll be just fine in the meantime.

This team has been solid from selecting all the pieces that make the gears turn. From the board (president) or whom ever who selected Dubas, followed by Raftis, to the scouting staff finding some very good talent and big Jr. ceilings, to development staff helping players hone in on their skills and teamwork. The Hounds organization is done an amazing job at making this team an exciting place to play for and for fans to cheer on. We're in the presence of a solid dynasty here and it's organizations like this that players have no issues committing to coming to play in SSM as it gives higher potential to turn pro.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
A dynasty? Go look up the definition. Ha.
Gladly... one again you’re spouting off before you validate your position. No where do I see any mention of championships. One would argue that we can properly assess a teams quality and success based on championships. However, I would argue differently. It would be nice to win one but I would certainly see us fit under the definition provided below.
“A prolonged run of successful seasons”. Sort of sums up the hounds for the better part of the last decade.

From Webster’s dictionary -

Sports Dynasties

Dynasty has been in use in English for over 600 years, for most of that time referring to a ruling family that maintains power through succession. Around the beginning of the 19th century, the word developed the figurative sense “a group or family that dominates a particular field for generations.” Nowadays, this sense of dynasty is often applied to a sports franchise which has a prolonged run of successful seasons. The sports use appears to have begun in the early 20th century. An article in The Washington Post in 1905 refers to “John T. Brush’s baseball dynasty,” and by 1912 the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that “if players were free agents at the end of every two years, baseball dynasties such as those built up by the Cubs, Athletics, Detroits and Giants would not be possible.”

Definition of DYNASTY

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
I'm just saying when it comes to dynasty. The Hounds ain't the Patriots or the Spurs. On a pro sports forum fans would not consider them a dynasty or even the media. Chill out.

Reactions: dirty12

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
I'm just saying when it comes to dynasty. The Hounds ain't the Patriots or the Spurs. On a pro sports forum fans would not consider them a dynasty or even the media. Chill out.

Then you don't know what a dynasty is. As our management and team has played a prominent role in the success of the Hounds. I said nothing of championships. Dynasty doesn't mean succession of championship winners. Chill out.

Reactions: shot caller

three dog night

May 3, 2014

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
You have to cheat to win,just like Windsor

OntarioHockeyLeague @OHLHockey

#OHL Announces Sanctions against Niagara IceDogs Hockey Club:

$250,000 fine plus 1st round picks in 2019 & 2021 Priority Selection process taken away for violation of certain league player recruitment policies.

STATEMENT: https://bit.ly/2N7KikA
4:36 PM - Feb 15, 2019

Other teams cheat and don't make much effort to hide it. Niagara was just stupid enough to garner a complaint from a player and that forced an investigation.

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Well no kidding since you're comparing a major junior hockey team to an NFL and NBA team. Gee wonder who wins that battle

Reactions: Houndsfan22

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Well no kidding since you're comparing a major junior hockey team to an NFL and NBA team. Gee wonder who wins that battle
The most important aspect to all of these comparisons is that it’s far easier to recognize a professional dynasty when the players that help create said dynasty can be paid to play at a top level every year.
At the junior level, a team that can consistently locate, nurture, develop and promote talent to a higher level (all while knowing that their goal is to not keep players around) should certainly garner comparison to a dynasty. Think about the internal structure that is needed and in place to produce winning seasons that can attract and maintain a fan base, make money and still promote enough talent to a higher level that they are still marketable to prospective players that also have a promotion as their end goal.
A team that can also win championships should be held to an even higher esteem but not singled out as the only entity that can be labeled as a dynasty.

What deadmau52019 is suggesting would be that the word music should only encompass Grammy winners... and not spread to cover his techno-loving hero.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
The most important aspect to all of these comparisons is that it’s far easier to recognize a professional dynasty when the players that help create said dynasty can be paid to play at a top level every year.
At the junior level, a team that can consistently locate, nurture, develop and promote talent to a higher level (all while knowing that their goal is to not keep players around) should certainly garner comparison to a dynasty. Think about the internal structure that is needed and in place to produce winning seasons that can attract and maintain a fan base, make money and still promote enough talent to a higher level that they are still marketable to prospective players that also have a promotion as their end goal.
A team that can also win championships should be held to an even higher esteem but not singled out as the only entity that can be labeled as a dynasty.

What deadmau52019 is suggesting would be that the word music should only encompass Grammy winners... and not spread to cover his techno-loving hero.

Well said. Excellent cross over comparison to music. Once again the troll has been identified and dismantled. Getting grossed out over most of that users comments over the past 2 years.

Reactions: shot caller

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Can't believe anyone on here hasn't already blocked deadmau52019 from their list. I did over a month ago now i don't have to even imagine the spewings that emanate from them. Far more pleasant this way really.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

If I may interject on this topic of what constitutes a "dynasty", I don't understand why you insist or think that the word "dynasty" best conveys "a team that can consistently locate, nurture, develop, and promote talent to a higher level". Clearly, such a team deserves accolades, praise, encomium, etc...but in hockey parlance is it not the case that we typically reserve the term "dynasty" for teams that win championships?
To use just 3 examples, we tend to refer to the Montreal Canadiens of the 1970s as a dynasty, the NYI of the early 1980s as a dynasty, the Edmonton Oilers of the (later) 1980s as a dynasty. And, what's the common denominator? A string of championships.
If you'd like to pay homage to the Hounds, then my suggestion would be to simply use a different, more appropriate term(s)..."power house"? "respected franchise"? "first class organization" ? There are likely better choices than the ones that I've listed but I certainly wouldn't consider "dynasty" to be among them. Just my two cents...
Clearly, the Soo deserve much praise...I'm just quibbling over semantics.

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
Yet I touched a nerve over the word Dynasty. Ppl still going on about my opinion , they don't like it. Block me then. Me no care. Ha.

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I feel like you have to win championships to be a dynasty, obviously we haven’t. Not to say we haven’t taken our shots, because obviously we have.

However the run of success we’ve seen since 2013 has been incredible, and really put this program on the map. It’s been built around strong drafting and player development which makes me optimistic for the future in spite of the draft pick situation.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Couldn't as for a much better day on the out of town scoreboard.

I watched Sarnia beat Saginaw and it was a heck of a game. Hopefully Sarnia is tired out for tomorrow.

London was absolutely massacred by Mississauga. With one more home game against them, the conference title is well within reach.

Reactions: PuckLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad