SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Dec 17, 2018.

1. We're aware of an issue with double posting and people are working to fix it. Here's how to avoid it: AFTER YOU HIT THE REPLY/POST BUTTON AND THE TIMER BAND ON THE TOP RIGHT STOPS, ASSUME IT POSTED. DO NOT HIT THE REPLY BUTTON AGAIN. Reload the page and your post will be there. If you are worried about losing the post content, copy it first.
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    There number ten.

BehindSooNet likes this.
  2. Fischhaber

Fischhaber Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    What a night for Pytlik! Raftis has done it again, getting a stud from Europe with a late pick.

I said Peca would be a ppg player with the Hounds when the trade happened, but he's doing even better than I had expected. Great night for him as well.

Ethan Taylor did a heck of a job to keep us in it early as well. Hopefully Matty V can be back soon, but we'll be just fine in the meantime.

3. louis

louis Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000

Okay l am eating crow...

shot caller and Houndsfan22 like this.
  4. Houndsfan22

Houndsfan22 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This team has been solid from selecting all the pieces that make the gears turn. From the board (president) or whom ever who selected Dubas, followed by Raftis, to the scouting staff finding some very good talent and big Jr. ceilings, to development staff helping players hone in on their skills and teamwork. The Hounds organization is done an amazing job at making this team an exciting place to play for and for fans to cheer on. We're in the presence of a solid dynasty here and it's organizations like this that players have no issues committing to coming to play in SSM as it gives higher potential to turn pro.

5. Paul Therriault

Paul Therriault Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    A dynasty? Go look up the definition. Ha.

dirty12 likes this.
  6. shot caller

shot caller Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Gladly... one again you’re spouting off before you validate your position. No where do I see any mention of championships. One would argue that we can properly assess a teams quality and success based on championships. However, I would argue differently. It would be nice to win one but I would certainly see us fit under the definition provided below.
    “A prolonged run of successful seasons”. Sort of sums up the hounds for the better part of the last decade.

From Webster’s dictionary -

Sports Dynasties

Dynasty has been in use in English for over 600 years, for most of that time referring to a ruling family that maintains power through succession. Around the beginning of the 19th century, the word developed the figurative sense “a group or family that dominates a particular field for generations.” Nowadays, this sense of dynasty is often applied to a sports franchise which has a prolonged run of successful seasons. The sports use appears to have begun in the early 20th century. An article in The Washington Post in 1905 refers to “John T. Brush’s baseball dynasty,” and by 1912 the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that “if players were free agents at the end of every two years, baseball dynasties such as those built up by the Cubs, Athletics, Detroits and Giants would not be possible.”

Definition of DYNASTY

7. Houndsfan22

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    "a succession of people from the same family who play a prominent role in business, politics, or another field."

Sup with you man? Why you always ragging on people in here? Go do something useful.

Houndzfan and shot caller like this.
  8. Radar9

Radar9 Hounds/London !

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Houndsfan22 likes this.
  9. Paul Therriault

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I'm just saying when it comes to dynasty. The Hounds ain't the Patriots or the Spurs. On a pro sports forum fans would not consider them a dynasty or even the media. Chill out.

dirty12 likes this.
  10. Paul Therriault

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Oh No, David Branch can't have the Ice Dogs winning the cup. It doesn't fit in his circle.

three dog night likes this.
  11. Houndsfan22

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Then you don't know what a dynasty is. As our management and team has played a prominent role in the success of the Hounds. I said nothing of championships. Dynasty doesn't mean succession of championship winners. Chill out.

shot caller likes this.
  12. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
  13. IcemanTBI

IcemanTBI Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Oshawa helping us out a ton tonight :)

Houndsfan22 likes this.
  14. Fischhaber

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Other teams cheat and don't make much effort to hide it. Niagara was just stupid enough to garner a complaint from a player and that forced an investigation.

15. OHLfan200

OHLfan200 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Well no kidding since you're comparing a major junior hockey team to an NFL and NBA team. Gee wonder who wins that battle

Houndsfan22 likes this.
  16. shot caller

shot caller Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The most important aspect to all of these comparisons is that it’s far easier to recognize a professional dynasty when the players that help create said dynasty can be paid to play at a top level every year.
    At the junior level, a team that can consistently locate, nurture, develop and promote talent to a higher level (all while knowing that their goal is to not keep players around) should certainly garner comparison to a dynasty. Think about the internal structure that is needed and in place to produce winning seasons that can attract and maintain a fan base, make money and still promote enough talent to a higher level that they are still marketable to prospective players that also have a promotion as their end goal.
    A team that can also win championships should be held to an even higher esteem but not singled out as the only entity that can be labeled as a dynasty.

What deadmau52019 is suggesting would be that the word music should only encompass Grammy winners... and not spread to cover his techno-loving hero.

Houndsfan22 likes this.
  17. Houndsfan22

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Well said. Excellent cross over comparison to music. Once again the troll has been identified and dismantled. Getting grossed out over most of that users comments over the past 2 years.

shot caller likes this.
  18. count35

count35 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Can't believe anyone on here hasn't already blocked deadmau52019 from their list. I did over a month ago now i don't have to even imagine the spewings that emanate from them. Far more pleasant this way really.

Houndsfan22 and shot caller like this.
  19. IcemanTBI

IcemanTBI Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Sarnia and Mississauga are helping us out today

Houndsfan22 likes this.
  20. nelli27

nelli27 Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    University Professor
    If I may interject on this topic of what constitutes a "dynasty", I don't understand why you insist or think that the word "dynasty" best conveys "a team that can consistently locate, nurture, develop, and promote talent to a higher level". Clearly, such a team deserves accolades, praise, encomium, etc...but in hockey parlance is it not the case that we typically reserve the term "dynasty" for teams that win championships?
    To use just 3 examples, we tend to refer to the Montreal Canadiens of the 1970s as a dynasty, the NYI of the early 1980s as a dynasty, the Edmonton Oilers of the (later) 1980s as a dynasty. And, what's the common denominator? A string of championships.
    If you'd like to pay homage to the Hounds, then my suggestion would be to simply use a different, more appropriate term(s)..."power house"? "respected franchise"? "first class organization" ? There are likely better choices than the ones that I've listed but I certainly wouldn't consider "dynasty" to be among them. Just my two cents...
    Clearly, the Soo deserve much praise...I'm just quibbling over semantics.

HockeyPops, dirty12 and SebJHockey like this.
  21. Paul Therriault

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Yet I touched a nerve over the word Dynasty. Ppl still going on about my opinion , they don't like it. Block me then. Me no care. Ha.

22. OHLfan200

OHLfan200 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
  23. DavelPatsyuk

DavelPatsyuk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I feel like you have to win championships to be a dynasty, obviously we haven’t. Not to say we haven’t taken our shots, because obviously we have.

However the run of success we’ve seen since 2013 has been incredible, and really put this program on the map. It’s been built around strong drafting and player development which makes me optimistic for the future in spite of the draft pick situation.

24. Fischhaber

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Couldn't as for a much better day on the out of town scoreboard.

I watched Sarnia beat Saginaw and it was a heck of a game. Hopefully Sarnia is tired out for tomorrow.

London was absolutely massacred by Mississauga. With one more home game against them, the conference title is well within reach.

PuckLife likes this.
  25. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    What’s the word on Villalta guys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.