SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
To be fair, it is a buyers market. If SSM is selling, then there may be 5 or 6 teams at most who could be considered buyers right now: London, Ottawa and Niagara for sure. Owen Sound, Sudbury and Saginaw may also be in that mix. However I guess if someone is willing to pay for Frost specifically, then SSM would be willing to sell Frost.

If it was from London, I would think Frost + Hollowell for Evangelista, Perrott, Timms, 3 2nd's, 2 3rd's and whatever late round picks would be the price. If that happens though, then Sambrook, Villalta, Hayton and Howdeshell would also be sold I think.

I have a feeling SSM is more likely to just run with the team they have. Just keep Frost and everyone else and just go for it. SSM is at least the 4th best team in the OHL right now.

I say we only sell if Frost return is biggest deal of the last 5 years....

Otherwise we add , and for cheap we can add key pieces.

We take a deep run. And maybe we upset a team or two....... we have the best goaltending in OHL hands down. I dont think DiPietro is but we will let him brag about that shutout last night ( lmao )

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I also dont believe Evanglista will report :)

Also London would then need to move a OA out

London has 2 cards left only. Raftis is in driver's seat.. if London is pursuing Frost I would do 1 of 2 things
1) try to take hunter for everything and actually come ontop

Or

2) tell him to shove it, add to our team, drive up prices of other players out there, and beat London's ass down....

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

We take a deep run. And maybe we upset a team or two....... we have the best goaltending in OHL hands down. I dont think DiPietro is but we will let him brag about that shutout last night ( lmao )

what?

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London

Good Luck

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

DiPietro and Luukkonen are better just off of the top of my head. It's not even close. There are probably a few others who are good as well.

That being said, he is more than good enough to steal a series, even from the top teams. SSM has an easy path to the conference finals unless they play London before then. It sounds like OS and Guelph are selling, so that means the only London, SSM and maybe Saginaw (who could add to their group for a run this year) would be the ones competing in the West. Then just look at how much of a powerhouse SSM was last year, but they ended up losing to Hamilton who had 23 less points than them in the standings.

I think SSM buys, but they will be strategic buys. They will not waste assets on rentals. They will look at 99's they can bring back as OA's. There are a few teams that are selling that have too many 99's to bring back for next year, and I think SSM could add a top 9 winger (i.e. Luke Boka from Windsor, Bradley Chenier from North Bay, Jake Durham from Flint, etc.) and top 4 LD (i.e. Jakob Brahaney out of Kingston or Kade Landry out of Hamilton) to round out their group. It'll probably cost a few young roster players (i.e. Calisti or one of the 01' forwards), and maybe a few third round picks, but since SSM has done so well with hitting on later round picks in the past few years, it does not hurt them as much as it does other teams.

I have already said this earlier though so I am just repeating myself really.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
[QUOTE="Hfp92, post: 154145095, member: 292667"
We take a deep run. And maybe we upset a team or two....... we have the best goaltending in OHL hands down. I dont think DiPietro is but we will let him brag about that shutout last night ( lmao )[/QUOTE]

Goaltending is fine in Sault - Starter is mid pack - 8 to 12 range in Save % and adjusted Goals saved against the average.
Behind
Hunter Jones
Keyser
Dipietro
Dhillion
Raaymakers
UPL
Kooy
Andree

In the middle with Popovich, edmonds, Zhukov, Piirionen, Ingham.

Not the best best in OHL hands down unfortunately, but good. Should not be the cause of an early demise.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
DiPietro and Luukkonen are better just off of the top of my head. It's not even close. There are probably a few others who are good as well.

That being said, he is more than good enough to steal a series, even from the top teams. SSM has an easy path to the conference finals unless they play London before then. It sounds like OS and Guelph are selling, so that means the only London, SSM and maybe Saginaw (who could add to their group for a run this year) would be the ones competing in the West. Then just look at how much of a powerhouse SSM was last year, but they ended up losing to Hamilton who had 23 less points than them in the standings.

I think SSM buys, but they will be strategic buys. They will not waste assets on rentals. They will look at 99's they can bring back as OA's. There are a few teams that are selling that have too many 99's to bring back for next year, and I think SSM could add a top 9 winger (i.e. Luke Boka from Windsor, Bradley Chenier from North Bay, Jake Durham from Flint, etc.) and top 4 LD (i.e. Jakob Brahaney out of Kingston or Kade Landry out of Hamilton) to round out their group. It'll probably cost a few young roster players (i.e. Calisti or one of the 01' forwards), and maybe a few third round picks, but since SSM has done so well with hitting on later round picks in the past few years, it does not hurt them as much as it does other teams.

I have already said this earlier though so I am just repeating myself really.

What makes you think Guelph is selling? I think they have a very strong team - I'd be surprised if they sold off their pieces.

Reactions: tbkght77

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Just checked the SSM roster. Kalvyn Watson listed as number 28. No Dominic Mufarreh.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Just checked the SSM roster. Kalvyn Watson listed as number 28. No Dominic Mufarreh.

That's strange. Mufarreh can't be traded and looks fairly promising, so I can't see him going anywhere. Signing Watson midseason is plausible, but would be unusual.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Back to back games Frost and Hayton game MVP way to go boys you guys still think we should sell ? Let’s buy small and give London the exit out of the playoffs

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Back to back games Frost and Hayton game MVP way to go boys you guys still think we should sell ? Let’s buy small and give London the exit of the playoffs

We knew how good these guys were before the Juniors and their play shouldn't affect our deadline decisions, but I am awfully proud of them nonetheless.

Reactions: shot caller

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Loved Kalvyn Watson and I think he’s going to be a big time player. Was shocked he didn’t start here this season.

Muffareh has played 4 games in the UPHL U16 back in USA. He can’t play NCAA anymore but perhaps needed fine tuning and more time in junior? Watson proved he clearly doesn’t haha

I predict Mufarreh will be back shorty when a depth forward is traded

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Please please please buy Soo team. Nothing is a better feeling when a team loads up and we still beat them, plus a Soo vs London conference final would be fun!

Agreed. I'm looking forward to laying waste to a loaded up Knights team that was too afraid to tangle with us last season, despite having the resources to do so.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Actually I think the Knights were more scared of Hamilton. Maybe the Soo should have been too.

I'm going to assume this is a joke or you're really full of you know what. Nobody thought that at the time.
The Hounds would have rolled over Hamilton in the first round, but the Western Conference was a tough road last season. That's hockey for you, a real war of attrition.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Actually I think the Knights were more scared of Hamilton. Maybe the Soo should have been too.
Everybody had the hounds winning the O last season and look what happened this year London is gonna win the O so we should just pack it in right now lol

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Please please please buy Soo team. Nothing is a better feeling when a team loads up and we still beat them, plus a Soo vs London conference final would be fun!

With what tho? We have no assets.

Gonna be a long 3 years if we try to buy and lose. No sure we have enough assets at this point to fill the holes we need.

Reactions: shot caller

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Agreed. I'm looking forward to laying waste to a loaded up Knights team that was too afraid to tangle with us last season, despite having the resources to do so.

If Mete, Bratt and Juolevi were sent down they probably would have made a run.

You seem sure London and SSM will even meet in the playoffs though

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
If Mete, Bratt and Juolevi were sent down they probably would have made a run.

You seem sure London and SSM will even meet in the playoffs though

Nothing is certain in the OHL, but a matchup in the third round is a plausible scenario.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
One of the best defensemen in the league just went for a former 3rd round pick that has failed to develop into a quality regular and a single second round pick, with extra picks if he is an OA.

That's easily one of the most ridiculously lopsided trades I have ever seen. The Barrie GM should hang his head in shame. Their fans deserve more than a horseshit trade like that.

Gloverone2020

Oct 2, 2018
One of the best defensemen in the league just went for a former 3rd round pick that has failed to develop into a quality regular and a single second round pick, with extra picks if he is an OA.

That's easily one of the most ridiculously lopsided trades I have ever seen. The Barrie GM should hang his head in shame. Their fans deserve more than a horse**** trade like that.
Half season rental player for picks? And player? Barrie is going no where so no shame there. Its a buyers market not many teams making runs and excess of great players on teams that wont go no where...

westfan

May 1, 2015
Honestly, I don't know why they wouldn't just go for it. Its not too often you have 2 (almost 3) world jr players for Canada and sitting 2nd in the west. Just spend some picks or youth and go for it. If you are always banking on future you will never win it all. Plus our drafting, especially in the later rounds has been phenomenal, so why not take the risk.

Reactions: soo hound girl

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
Loved Kalvyn Watson and I think he’s going to be a big time player. Was shocked he didn’t start here this season.

Muffareh has played 4 games in the UPHL U16 back in USA. He can’t play NCAA anymore but perhaps needed fine tuning and more time in junior? Watson proved he clearly doesn’t haha

I predict Mufarreh will be back shorty when a depth forward is traded

They wanted him to get more ice time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->