SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Tough loss tonight. Inconsistent reffing was part of the problem, but not the reason we lost the game.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Tough loss tonight. Inconsistent reffing was part of the problem, but not the reason we lost the game.
The reffing was super questionable but you’re right. It is not the reason why we lost. We played well enough to win. However, UPL also played well enough to win! He certainly frustrated shooters and that just compounds things as the game progresses.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Spotting good teams a few weak goals in the first is not a recipe for success. Combine that with flat stretch of play in the second where they got two more and you aren't going to win too many. Still, very good push back in the third, but the best goalie in the OHL finally brought his A game against us.

I found the greyhounds weren't strong enough on the puck in their own zone. We kept trying to finesse a soft pass up the boards to no one, and the pinching Sudbury defenseman would pick it up every time. In general our energy level was low. This team needs to play high energy up tempo, and when they aren't it looks like this.

Reactions: shot caller

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried going into the playoffs. The Hounds have played a few games now with the same overall style of play. Lots of endlessly skating the puck and selfish play. Speed, controlling the play on the ice, making quick offensive plays and a potent breakout are the keys to victory for the Hounds.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Reactions: SebJHockey

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
We added a couple writers to help cover the Soo and Northern Ontario Hockey.

One of them wrote a post game recap and you can find it here- Wolves beat Greyhounds 4-2 in Wednesday Night Matchup - The OHL Collective

I like reading Grace Scoffield's comments on twitter. Good article. Congrats to her for being brought on to the OHLCollective. Imo she can make a little better use of a thesaurus. Uses the word "got" freely when speaking of penalties. Just the little things that can make someone appear more professional. Not that she isn't already. Hope she reads this! Good job otherwise Grace! Keep it up.

Edit: Wasn't overly pleased with the Hounds last night. I only listened to it on 101.3 .. But it sounds like they were baited in to some extracirriculars that could have been avoided. Make use of a PP situation or at the very least keep the puck off of their stick for 2 minutes. Instead Pytlik ran in there to confront Pilon and ended up picking up some sin bin time. As well for Hollowell. I'm not sure how he was assessed a 10 minute misconduct. Was he being mouthy about the ensuing call? If so again it's avoidable. He's a big piece to this team that should be avoiding situations that see him off the ice. Discipline has been lackluster as of late.

I remember with 4 years prior the Hounds would find themselves near the top of standings for being the least penalized team with the 15/16 season as the least penalized team. This year we're right in the middle. Oddly enough the Ottawa 67's are the most penalized team this year. Hmm! But the Hounds have a piece in their recipe for success and that's part of staying out of the sin bin. All those little things contribute to the bigger picture. They have to clean up come playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I like reading Grace Scoffield's comments on twitter. Good article. Congrats to her for being brought on to the OHLCollective. Imo she can make a little better use of a thesaurus. Uses the word "got" freely when speaking of penalties. Just the little things that can make someone appear more professional. Not that she isn't already. Hope she reads this! Good job otherwise Grace! Keep it up.
If I ever write, I’d appreciate the feedback from someone like yourself. Language is a strength and I’m very meticulous about proper grammar etc. What are your impressions of the Wolves? Do they not seem seem like a team that could make noise in the playoffs since they’re physical and limit goals against?
A couple of your guys (you know who) made me nervous every time they were on the ice. Must be nice to watch that team over thirty four games. Also, honestly I’ve got no real hate for the Hounds and would cheer for them over the Bay. I’ve worked in the Soo and liked it’s blue collar type feel (though I work pounding the payment in sales), akin to Sudbury in some ways. Sure is spread out. My assignments would take me all over and I could find my way around pretty easily now :)

Reactions: Houndsfan22

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
If I ever write, I’d appreciate the feedback from someone like yourself. Language is a strength and I’m very meticulous about proper grammar etc. What are your impressions of the Wolves? Do they not seem seem like a team that could make noise in the playoffs since they’re physical and limit goals against?
A couple of your guys (you know who) made me nervous every time they were on the ice. Must be nice to watch that team over thirty four games. Also, honestly I’ve got no real hate for the Hounds and would cheer for them over the Bay. I’ve worked in the Soo and liked it’s blue collar type feel (though I work pounding the payment in sales), akin to Sudbury in some ways. Sure is spread out. My assignments would take me all over and I could find my way around pretty easily now :)

Pardon my grammar as I say the Wolves are effing annoying. In a good way though. I don't know what it is about this Highway 17 rivalry, top or bottom of the standings for you guys and you find a way to make the Hounds struggle at times. Mostly comes from my biased memory of watching Capobianco and Sokolov have our number. The Pilon twins are also annoying and Alan Lyszczarczyk seemed to have a thing against the Hounds.

But as for this year I'll have to put my bias aside and say you'll still be annoying in the playoffs. Your conferences 5-8 placed teams are in a very tight race. Some of which have some very good players. I think you're going to be a 2nd round team. Possible conference finals if my predictions for 1st round exits pan out.. Being Niagara wins and it's Sudbury @ Niagara for round 2. UPL can steal games. He's an elite Jr. tendie for sure. Niagara is very skilled and all of Sudbury's team would have to be their best for that series. It's really hard to say because I haven't tracked them game in and game out. Just going by stats and hearing about the efforts of some key players of yours. Those being UPL, Carson, Bulitka. Levin is a wild story in itself. He can improve though. Ruzicka has developed into a reliable Jr. player through the Sarnia system and you're very lucky to have him. I'll miss Demeo as well but he was fun to have around in SSM.

I'll end by saying that anything is possible in hockey playoffs if everyone's head is in the game for 7 games in a series. Can't take a night off.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
People who are meticulous can be pretty annoying, with their extreme attention to detail. :)

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

Edit: Wasn't overly pleased with the Hounds last night. I only listened to it on 101.3 .. But it sounds like they were baited in to some extracirriculars that could have been avoided. Make use of a PP situation or at the very least keep the puck off of their stick for 2 minutes. Instead Pytlik ran in there to confront Pilon and ended up picking up some sin bin time. As well for Hollowell. I'm not sure how he was assessed a 10 minute misconduct. Was he being mouthy about the ensuing call? If so again it's avoidable. He's a big piece to this team that should be avoiding situations that see him off the ice. Discipline has been lackluster as of late.

I remember with 4 years prior the Hounds would find themselves near the top of standings for being the least penalized team with the 15/16 season as the least penalized team. This year we're right in the middle. Oddly enough the Ottawa 67's are the most penalized team this year. Hmm! But the Hounds have a piece in their recipe for success and that's part of staying out of the sin bin. All those little things contribute to the bigger picture. They have to clean up come playoffs.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I will be sure to pass it on to her.

She may even read the boards, I am not to sure but I know she has a passion for this and I know she will want to get better and improve especially for her main audience.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
People who are meticulous can be pretty annoying, with their extreme attention to detail. :)
Ha :) ya man I know. I don’t think it’s always in an annoying sense. I’m far from perfect and I don’t believe in the grammar police bullshit. Is that good grammar :) I must admit though I edit every post. Hey gotta workout the brain. Seriously I’ve considered trying my hand at that sort of thing but not with commitment. Contributor might work.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018

The reason why I bring it up is because meticulousness is a virtue in writing that can attract people to your product. When you present yourself well people also get the impression that you did your homework equally as well. As we see this in the media where we have a trend of 1st to get the story out also usually lacks full facts, full of grammatical errors, and is often criticized as "did the editor even read this over?". You give me a good product and I'll give you my business. I've taken many news sources off of my bookmark's bar because of this.

Other than that.. Every day typing doesn't need to be AS meticulous. But needs to be legible.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
Ha :) ya man I know. I don’t think it’s always in an annoying sense. I’m far from perfect and I don’t believe in the grammar police bull****. Is that good grammar :) I must admit though I edit every post. Hey gotta workout the brain. Seriously I’ve considered trying my hand at that sort of thing but not with commitment. Contributor might work.
Thank god that your not the grammar police,because i really do suck in grammar but i was not born in Canada,

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Spotting good teams a few weak goals in the first is not a recipe for success. Combine that with flat stretch of play in the second where they got two more and you aren't going to win too many. Still, very good push back in the third, but the best goalie in the OHL finally brought his A game against us.

I found the greyhounds weren't strong enough on the puck in their own zone. We kept trying to finesse a soft pass up the boards to no one, and the pinching Sudbury defenseman would pick it up every time. In general our energy level was low. This team needs to play high energy up tempo, and when they aren't it looks like this.
What did you think of the Wolves Pops?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What did you think of the Wolves Pops?
They were better than in any game I can remember playing them this year. They forechecked hard, they moved the puck, their goalie was fantastic in the 3rd when he needed to be. The Pilons played with the right amount of aggression and managed to get under our skin. We played well in the 3rd, not so well in the first 2. But Sudbury seemed consistent throughout.

They still need some work generating chances though. They were quite fortunate on the first 3 goals - first 2 were giveaways, and the beautiful Robinson goal actually took a weird bounce off our defensemen and right back onto his stick. Without these bounces they still might have lost this game. Villalta did come up big on a few occassions, but I don't feel like Sudbury had as many chances as the Soo. I worry for Sudbury if they don't figure out their offense, as they won't get these bounces going their way every game. They will need to generate more stuff for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->