SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Oshawa has a good team at first glance today. More balanced than the other "2nd tier teams" that we've played IMO (Saginaw, Sudbury).

It's been a good battle so far.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Oshawa has a good team at first glance today. More balanced than the other "2nd tier teams" that we've played IMO (Saginaw, Sudbury).

It's been a good battle so far.

Good team for sure. Probably the best group of OA, 7-19 yr old skaters, awesome G.
2nd tier because Niagara has a dozen 19 yr olds, three in top ten scoring and at least three more well over pt/game; and, Ottawa has five of top twenty pts/g.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Just got home from the game... bitter out.

A few observations/perspectives...

The defense seem to be coughing the puck up a lot when under pressure. It’s becoming more noticeable lately. This needs adjustment prior to the playoffs. If a experienced team recognizes this trend, it will be difficult to play away from it.

I didn’t hate the overall game today. I find Kitchener played overly aggressive and took some liberties outside of the play. This is to be expected from a team that has to play above themselves. What else do you try against a team like the hounds where you will be outmatched with individual skill.

In the end, this is necessary for progression. We still took a point so the loss doesn’t hurt as much. We can certainly learn a bunch as we were subjected to a style of play that isn’t what we typically see in today’s game.

Finally... disclaimer, this may be just me and that’s fine...it’s just my opinion.
Score every goal and make plays that bring people out of their seat....It doesn’t matter in the end. If Frost continues to be the best player when the puck is on his stick and when it’s convenient for him, it will continue to put his line at a disadvantage. Again, maybe the overwhelming offensive output provides the leeway that allows for this style of play. Its just that I’ve seen him control the play at both ends, with and without the puck. I just don’t understand why he is allowed to get away with such laziness at times. Huge circles when he loses the puck; long slow skate back to the bench when he feels like his shift is over. This is hard to watch and I’m sure I’m not the only one who sees this.
I’m cursing you for pointing this out bc now all I notice is Frost’s selfish play. He extends every shift, cheats offensively, does too many fly-bys defensively and then when he’s too tired to play anymore, he coasts to the bench and slams the door or his stick. It’s killing me. He is incredibly skilled, but that stuff has to stop.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I’m cursing you for pointing this out bc now all I notice is Frost’s selfish play. He extends every shift, cheats offensively, does too many fly-bys defensively and then when he’s too tired to play anymore, he coasts to the bench and slams the door or his stick. It’s killing me. He is incredibly skilled, but that stuff has to stop.
This behaviour has only reappeared in the last couple of games. Not sure why it's back, but for most of this season he has been skating much harder than he has of late. Hopefully this changes soon.

Reactions: PuckLife

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Leave it to out fans to constantly criticize the best offensive player in the league by a considerable margin.

Frost plays 25-30 minutes a game. Of course he extends shifts and takes some liberties on defense. That's what the coaches ask him to do. If they wanted him to be a defensive stalwart then they would cut back the minutes

Watch him in the last 5 minutes of a close game and you'll see good defense and effort. It's easy to ask max effort from Brett Jacklin and his 12 minutes a game. You can't ask a player to do that over 25+ minutes.

Reactions: OHLfan200

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Well 3dog, if you look at the OT losses, something to note, in all three occasions (2shamefully on home ice) the Ice Dogs had the lead and let it go. Those OT losses are real kicks in the knackers.
Things like that shouldn’t happen to Top Tier teams, rather the other way. Just adding a bit of colour to your comments.
The Guelph game they rallied from two goals down to take the lead only to blow a late clearing the London home game went back and forth.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Leave it to out fans to constantly criticize the best offensive player in the league by a considerable margin.

Frost plays 25-30 minutes a game. Of course he extends shifts and takes some liberties on defense. That's what the coaches ask him to do. If they wanted him to be a defensive stalwart then they would cut back the minutes

Watch him in the last 5 minutes of a close game and you'll see good defense and effort. It's easy to ask max effort from Brett Jacklin and his 12 minutes a game. You can't ask a player to do that over 25+ minutes.
I rarely disagree with you Fish, but I do on this one. The coaches may tolerate his extended shifts, but I’m sure they don’t like it. Not to mention the lazy play away from the puck. It’s bad for team chemistry. He should be playing closer to 20 mins and going full out.

Reactions: aresknights

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I rarely disagree with you Fish, but I do on this one. The coaches may tolerate his extended shifts, but I’m sure they don’t like it. Not to mention the lazy play away from the puck. It’s bad for team chemistry. He should be playing closer to 20 mins and going full out.

Maybe you are right about the 20 minutes thing, but it's just not the way that superstars are used in this league. I've seen the same legitimate complaints over the years about Cousins, McCann, Senyshyn, etc.

He's far from the worst or only culprit in the league today when it comes to star players. Watch guys like Jason Robertson, Liam Foudy, or Isaac Ratcliffe if you want to see extended shifts and truly horrible defense. Katchouk last year was one of the worst that I have seen.

Again, I don't think you have it all wrong. It's just the way that things are done in this league for better or for worse. I think the coaching staff encourages the extended shifts to some extent.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is Pytlik playing on the 4th line? I know theres no TOI stat openly available but he only has 9 shots on goal in 8 games . Could be other things but I'm speculating it's due to ice time?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Is Pytlik playing on the 4th line? I know theres no TOI stat openly available but he only has 9 shots on goal in 8 games . Could be other things but I'm speculating it's due to ice time?

Initially he was seeing a lot of time on the first line with Frost, but his ice time has dropped a bit recently. He's not playing on the 4th line.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

He was on the 1st line with Frost and Howdeshell for all game today except on PP's and in OT

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Initially he was seeing a lot of time on the first line with Frost, but his ice time has dropped a bit recently. He's not playing on the 4th line.

How do you explain his low production compared to his line mates if he was getting first line minutes?

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
One part still adjusting to the OHL, and one part snake-bit (he has had chances).
You’re absolutely correct. Big difference in the style of hockey and also the time in which it takes to play a new style of hockey (when factoring in the smaller ice).

And Pops, as an extra to your point...

How do you explain his low production compared to his line mates if he was getting first line minutes?

I would think there isn’t a real accurate picture of his actual ice time when we think of him playing on the first line.
Sure, he will play 5 on 5 with Frost and Howdeshell. That is where is seems to stop, for now at least.
He doesn’t play on the power play and his line mates do, so it’s easy to recognize them as being out there. Same goes for penalty kill. End of each period, it’s Frost, Howdeshell and Hayton.
Realistically, I think his TOI stat is considerably lower than any of us would think.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Also, he hasn't been on the first line for all 8 games. He started on the third line I believe, and has only been on the first line for perhaps half those games?

edit:
Hmmm, maybe my memory isn't as good as I thought. According to the SooToday blogs, he has been on the first line 7 out of 8 games. But I think there has been some line juggling during games, as I remember him getting ice time with others (ex. Pucek before Pucek was injured.)
OSH 2/3/2019 - 1st line Howdeshell - Frost - Pytlik
ERI 2/1/2019 - 1st line Howdeshell - Frost - Pytlik
NIA 1/31/2019 - 2nd line Trott - Hayton - Pytlik
SBY 1/20/2019 - 1st line Howdeshell - Frost - Pytlik
BAR 1/19/2019 - 1st line Howdeshell - Frost - Pytlik
NB 1/17/2019 - 1st line Howdeshell - Frost - Pytlik
MIS 1/12/2019 - 1st line Howdeshell - Frost - Pytlik
WSR 1/11/2019 - 1st line Howdeshell - Frost - Pytlik

Last edited:

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Hey man could you give me an example of this?
Just keep an eye for 2 common plays:
In the d zone when the opponent has the puck, he will often swoop by the guy, instead of stopping and staying in a shooting or passing lane. sometimes it works and he will stick- check during the swoop to force a turnover, but often he leaves the shooter a clear lane. Thank god for Matt V!

Again in the d zone, he will turn and head to the o zone as soon as it looks like we might have the puck, hoping to get sprung for a breakaway. The problem is, lots of time we don’t actually get or maintain possession and he’s not there to suppport defensively.

I’m not saying he does this every time, but it happens more often than it should. He’s a great player, but these habits are creeping into his game more recently.

Houndsfan22

Mar 27, 2018
Just keep an eye for 2 common plays:
In the d zone when the opponent has the puck, he will often swoop by the guy, instead of stopping and staying in a shooting or passing lane. sometimes it works and he will stick- check during the swoop to force a turnover, but often he leaves the shooter a clear lane. Thank god for Matt V!

Again in the d zone, he will turn and head to the o zone as soon as it looks like we might have the puck, hoping to get sprung for a breakaway. The problem is, lots of time we don’t actually get or maintain possession and he’s not there to suppport defensively.

I’m not saying he does this every time, but it happens more often than it should. He’s a great player, but these habits are creeping into his game more recently.

Wow great examples. Thanks. I'll have to look for this more. That's unfortunate being that he's my favorite player in the O right now.

Reactions: PuckLife

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Nothing Hound related but I thought it would serve as important.
Last night a fella came to our door with a red smock on and a badge saying he was canvassing for Red Cross. There were two or three others in the immediate area of our home. Afterwards, my wife called the Red Cross and confirmed there is no active campaign in Sault Ste. Marie. She then notified the police but apparently they were already aware as while she was on the phone there were police searching all around our street and through the P-Patch.
Just a heads up as I don’t see any warning on SooToday and the police department told my wife that they had received several calls prompting the search. Be aware - especially if you know any elderly folks!

louis

Apr 3, 2014
Does anyone know if Queen Street is open yet between Bruce and Dennis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad