SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Ended up on OHL live to watch the game. I can honestly say, that was the most difficult set of announcers that I’ve had to force myself to sit through.
I thought the hounds did a few things well tonight. Villalta was sharper than the score let on. No question that Niagara is a great looking team. However, as easily as they handled us tonight, they have a look about them that screams they are equally as beatable.

Reactions: SuperMod

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Disagree. Villalta has made some good saves this game. Dhillon has definitely been on fire. Don't recall the goal you are referring to, but the first was on a broken play where the player dove managed to whack it top corner, tough to save. There was a fluky one off McLean. Then two goals from centering passes from below the red line which you could argue our defensive zone coverage by our forwards wasn't as good as it should have been but I don't blame Villalta for either.

Greyhounds are playing a good game, getting lots of chances, but not the bounces.
Villalta looked like he went down to his knees well before the puck came in front of him of the on the first goal. If he was standing up it would of hit him. Power play didn’t get it done, two crossbars and the Rickie Vaive Goal did the Hounds in. Ice Dogs blocking shots like it’s the playoffs.
Soo very good passers in tight, impressive. I see redemption in a couple weeks time.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Ended up on OHL live to watch the game. I can honestly say, that was the most difficult set of announcers that I’ve had to force myself to sit through.
I thought the hounds did a few things well tonight. Villalta was sharper than the score let on. No question that Niagara is a great looking team. However, as easily as they handled us tonight, they have a look about them that screams they are equally as beatable.
Lol must have been watching a different game the Dogs looked tonight that no one could beat them .

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I am at the game tonight. Villalta is gassed. Two own goals on him though. Ice dogs are most undisciplined team I have seen. Not a fan of hearing their coach swearing at his players.
The Icedogs were very discipline in the game considering they were being hacked and slashed all night. And what coach was swearing.

Coach7940

Dec 12, 2017
The Icedogs were very discipline in the game considering they were being hacked and slashed all night. And what coach was swearing.

Are you kidding me... Discipline?!? They are dirty, the hounds beat themselves tonight. Tell me, what kind of system are the ice dogs playing? There is no system of play. 5 man collapse in front of Dhillon.

And if you could not hear Burke swearing you were not there. I was across in 113 and heard it.

Hacked and slashed? It was hard to see anything but Jones complaining to the refs after every whistle.

One win Homer... Championships are not won in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: shot caller

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Are you kidding me... Discipline?!? They are dirty, the hounds beat themselves tonight. Tell me, what kind of system are the ice dogs playing? There is no system of play. 5 man collapse in front of Dhillon.

And if you could not hear Burke swearing you were not there. I was across in 113 and heard it.

Hacked and slashed? It was hard to see anything but Jones complaining to the refs after every whistle.
I wonder if you were there Sault hacked and slashed most of the game it was the most complete game for the Icedogs this season and what did Burke have to,swear about expect some missed penalty calls .

icepups

Jul 11, 2014

Which coach was swearing at his players? I was also sitting in 113 and didn’t hear any, nor did my wife. What we did hear clear as day was your players slamming the bench door and swearing on quite a few occasions. Niagara certainly aren’t angels and Jones did complain a couple of times but the Soo are one of the dirtiest teams I have seen so far this year. Not as dirty as Owen Sound earlier in the season. The number of unpunished cross checks dealt by the Soo was ridiculous.

Reactions: three dog night

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Hard to respect a team that plays like Niagara does, but they played a solid home game and really got the bounces along with some great goaltending.

I'd be very confident against them in a playoff series, moreso than Ottawa or Saginaw, but hats off to the team for tonight.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Lol must have been watching a different game the Dogs looked tonight that no one could beat them .
I agree. They looked like no one could beat them in last nights game...In last nights game.
Otherwise, I wouldn’t get too worked up by the win or the sample sized win streak.
They played well and the hounds didn’t play all that well. What else is there to say? It’s the truth and hard to hear, I get that. You’re speaking like you’re truly arse hurt over hearing it. However, if you don’t like the dose of reality, don’t come to this page. You’re team was and will remain essentially irrelevant in the overall landscape of who is considered actual contenders... to be honest, many would group us in the same category. The difference is, I’m ok with that. I understand that this team is largely over achieving and whatever we get out of them is pure entertainment. Is your team good - yes. Are they going to get out of the east - no.
So, like another poster said above... enjoy the wins in January. They mean nothing in the end.
Trust us, we are all fully aware of how little wins mean in January as the only one that mattered was on May 13th, 2018 and it wasn’t us that won it.

Last edited:

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I agree. They looked like no one could beat them in last nights game...In last nights game.
Otherwise, I wouldn’t get too worked up by the win or the sample sized win streak.
They played well and the hounds didn’t play all that well. What else is there to say? It’s the truth and hard to hear, I get that. You’re speaking like you’re truly arse hurt over hearing it. However, if you don’t like the dose of reality, don’t come to this page. You’re team was and will remain essentially irrelevant in the overall landscape of who is considered actual contenders... to be honest, many would group us in the same category. The difference is, I’m ok with that. I understand that this team is largely over achieving and whatever we get out of them is pure entertainment. Is your team good - yes. Are they going to get out of the east - no.
So, like another poster said above... enjoy the wins in January. They mean nothing in the end.
Trust us, we are all fully aware of how little wins mean in January as the only one that mattered was on May 13th, 2018 and it wasn’t us that won it.
Icedogs not contenders what are you smoking

Reactions: Chico Maki

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls

There is no doubt that three dog is the biggest homer we've got. Having said that, let's give credit where it's due. The Dogs and Greyhounds are a couple of upper tier teams in their respective conferences. This was a test for the Dogs to see where they stack up against another top tier team. They passed with flying colours last night.

Nobody knows what "system" the Dogs are playing and most Dogs fans think that coaching is a weakness on this team. 5 guys collapsing in front of their net sounds exactly like the strategy London used in the OHL final against the Dogs years ago. Maybe Burke watched some old footage.

I sit behind the bench, I've never witnessed Burke swearing at a player. I think he yells at the officials... a lot. Too much for his own good as they tend to ignore him by the time the third period comes around.

As for discipline, the Dogs have as many PIM as the Soo on the season. They're basically a mirror image of each other when it comes to the penalty box.

Jones is always working the officials... ALWAYS! That doesn't mean the Soo wasn't hacking and slashing a lot last night.... they were.

In the end, it was two good teams going at it with Niagara laying a sound beating on the Soo last night. I don't expect the same outcome next week in the Soo.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I sit behind the bench, I've never witnessed Burke swearing at a player. I think he yells at the officials... a lot. Too much for his own good as they tend to ignore him by the time the third period comes around.

This is probably what was happening as I've seen Burke loudly work the refs in Sudbury. I dont think hes swearing at the kids all the time otherwise no agent would allow thier players to go there. He's not Paul Fixter

Coach7940

Dec 12, 2017
There is no doubt that three dog is the biggest homer we've got. Having said that, let's give credit where it's due. The Dogs and Greyhounds are a couple of upper tier teams in their respective conferences. This was a test for the Dogs to see where they stack up against another top tier team. They passed with flying colours last night.

Nobody knows what "system" the Dogs are playing and most Dogs fans think that coaching is a weakness on this team. 5 guys collapsing in front of their net sounds exactly like the strategy London used in the OHL final against the Dogs years ago. Maybe Burke watched some old footage.

As for discipline, the Dogs have as many PIM as the Soo on the season. They're basically a mirror image of each other when it comes to the penalty box.

Jones is always working the officials... ALWAYS! That doesn't mean the Soo wasn't hacking and slashing a lot last night.... they were.

In the end, it was two good teams going at it with Niagara laying a sound beating on the Soo last night. I don't expect the same outcome next week in the Soo.

Thank you, I was shocked to hear him swear. I agree there is a boat load of talent and size. The Burke's are great owner's and very good to the community. I agree with the coaching comment.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
And here we thought that this board was vacant of Niagara Fans.

I sit behind the bench as well, but, the gd sound system is so loud you can’t hear anything. I did however hear the Soo boards slammed a couple of times.
I watched the game w/o the homer goggles on. Nothing overly unusual. Jones being his usual self. Hayton was super pissed about something, Jones and/Maxi May have chirped him into something, who knows. Burke is always yapping at something.

It was just exciting to see a team of equal talent on the ice, a rarity in this preseason OHL.

Hallowell is one heck of a hockey player (#11 white Ice Dogs fans). I usually pick a few players on the other team to focus on and he was one of them.

Yes, looking forward to the rematch.

And fishfan51, you never stop and say hi, that saddens me.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
Icedogs not contenders what are you smoking
I waited specifically to see what happened in the game between Niagra and Ottawa...I rest my case.

Niagara, like the soo, is a good team but a step below the teams that are “relevant” and labeled “contenders” this year.

You’re welcome for pointing that out to you days before you were thoroughly beat by the team that I also said wouldn’t let you out of the east.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I waited specifically to see what happened in the game between Niagra and Ottawa...I rest my case.

Niagara, like the soo, is a good team but a step below the teams that are “relevant” and labeled “contenders” this year.

You’re welcome for pointing that out to you days before you were thoroughly beat by the team that I also said wouldn’t let you out of the east.
Time will tell tough to judge that game with travel problems going to the game .

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Imo, there are two tiers of contenders. The first tier are London, Niagara, Ottawa, and Guelph (if/when all hands are on deck).
Oshawa, Saginaw, Soo, and Sudbury are good enough teams to win one series against the best, but unlikely to win in the conference and OHL finals

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Imo, there are two tiers of contenders. The first tier are London, Niagara, Ottawa, and Guelph (if/when all hands are on deck).
Oshawa, Saginaw, Soo, and Sudbury are good enough teams to win one series against the best, but unlikely to win in the conference and OHL finals

Oshawa can definitely go very far with their goal-tending and acquisitions. The other teams you mentioned yes, they don't have the depth of the first tier teams .

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
I agree with you 100%... with everything other than including Niagra in that category. I sincerely believe they belong in the second tier.
We can agree to disagree on that front. I just feel they will get a higher feeling “placement” because of their eastern geography. After Niagra, the bottom falls out a bit. I would place Oshawa and Sudbury underneath Ottawa and Niagra but not closely underneath.
If playing out of the west, the top grouping of London, Guelph, Saginaw and Sault somewhat water down what Niagra would “feel” like. There isn’t much of a gap between the top end and the bottom of however you would rank the 4 west teams I’ve listed. I’m not saying there isn’t a gap, there is, just smaller a gap compared to what I see over in the east after the top two teams of Ottawa and Niagra. This, to me, creates a different feel for how one would assess a team like Niagra.
Again, good? Yes. Will they be a conference final contender in the east? Yes.
If ranking without conference boarders, are they overall in the top 4 teams? Overall points not factoring in and a western schedule that would impact their current standings - I think they don’t rank in the top 4.
I guess where three dog stumbled on my personal assessment was the “contender” tag. Will Niagra contend for the Eastern conference final? Yes. Will they contend for the OHL final? Unlikely. Which is no different for the Sault in the west. Unfortunately, I’m ok with admitting that and focusing my energy on cheering on an entertaining run for a team that was not supposed to be in any conversation at all.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Niagara two wins against Saginaw one in a shootout win and overtime loss to Guelph two overtime losses to London neither team with a full line up one and three against Ottawa but split in Niagara. A overtime loss and win against Oshawa neither team full lineup we are one two against Sudbury three games left.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Niagara two wins against Saginaw one in a shootout win and overtime loss to Guelph two overtime losses to London neither team with a full line up one and three against Ottawa but split in Niagara. A overtime loss and win against Oshawa neither team full lineup we are one two against Sudbury three games left.
Well 3dog, if you look at the OT losses, something to note, in all three occasions (2shamefully on home ice) the Ice Dogs had the lead and let it go. Those OT losses are real kicks in the knackers.
Things like that shouldn’t happen to Top Tier teams, rather the other way. Just adding a bit of colour to your comments.

Reactions: shot caller

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree with you 100%... with everything other than including Niagra in that category. I sincerely believe they belong in the second tier.
We can agree to disagree on that front. I just feel they will get a higher feeling “placement” because of their eastern geography. After Niagra, the bottom falls out a bit. I would place Oshawa and Sudbury underneath Ottawa and Niagra but not closely underneath.
If playing out of the west, the top grouping of London, Guelph, Saginaw and Sault somewhat water down what Niagra would “feel” like. There isn’t much of a gap between the top end and the bottom of however you would rank the 4 west teams I’ve listed. I’m not saying there isn’t a gap, there is, just smaller a gap compared to what I see over in the east after the top two teams of Ottawa and Niagra. This, to me, creates a different feel for how one would assess a team like Niagra.
Again, good? Yes. Will they be a conference final contender in the east? Yes.
If ranking without conference boarders, are they overall in the top 4 teams? Overall points not factoring in and a western schedule that would impact their current standings - I think they don’t rank in the top 4.
I guess where three dog stumbled on my personal assessment was the “contender” tag. Will Niagra contend for the Eastern conference final? Yes. Will they contend for the OHL final? Unlikely. Which is no different for the Sault in the west. Unfortunately, I’m ok with admitting that and focusing my energy on cheering on an entertaining run for a team that was not supposed to be in any conversation at all.

I’ll stick with Niagara in a tier with Ottawa, London, and possibly Guelph as significantly better than the next group which should all have home ice to start the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad