SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Thinking that the only non roster players we have burned cards on this year would be Tyler Johnson and Phil Caron.

30 - 24 - 2 = 4 left

I think.

I was told that we didn't use a card on Tyler Johnson, via some sort of loophole. It's a very complicated system, which lends itself to the constant uncertainty regarding number of cards left.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I was told that we didn't use a card on Tyler Johnson, via some sort of loophole. It's a very complicated system, which lends itself to the constant uncertainty regarding number of cards left.
You don't have to use a card on any player ( yes some kids are signed early but if they are not sure?) before the drop of the puck on the NHL season so if he was let go before that likely no card used.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
With the lull in games, I though I would turn my attention to our prospects. We have a few prospects performing pretty well this season, based on the stats we have been able to gather over in the
SSM Greyhounds Prospects Thread

The five I am most excited about are:
2018, 5th - Watson, Kalvyn (F) - Lindsay Muskies OJHL
2018, 9th - Halushak, Matthew (D) - Thunder Bay North Stars SIJHL
2018, 10th - Parker, Owen (G) - Buffalo Regals SCTAMAAA
2018, 11th - Brown, Finn (F) - St. Michael's Buzzers OJHL
2017, 11th - Seguin, Kobe (D) - Soo Thunderbirds NOJHL

Remember, our roster next year will likely be missing the following players due to retirement:
Frost, Morgan (F)
Howdeshell, Keeghan (F)
Hayton, Barrett (F)
Sambrook, Jordan (D)
Hollowell, Mac (D)
Villalta, Matthew (G)
Peccia, Mario (G)

If the five prospects mentioned pan out as hoped for next season, it means we are only needing to fill 2 more spots, either from the rest of the prospects or through the 2019 draft. That is certainly do-able. Thoughts?

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
With the lull in games, I though I would turn my attention to our prospects. We have a few prospects performing pretty well this season, based on the stats we have been able to gather over in the

Remember, our roster next year will likely be missing the following players due to retirement:
Frost, Morgan (F)
Howdeshell, Keeghan (F)
Hayton, Barrett (F)
Sambrook, Jordan (D)
Hollowell, Mac (D)
Villalta, Matthew (G)
Peccia, Mario (G)

If the five prospects mentioned pan out as hoped for next season, it means we are only needing to fill 2 more spots, either from the rest of the prospects or through the 2019 draft. That is certainly do-able. Thoughts?

Agreed that the hounds are not going to be in a struggle. Watson could play this season and probably be better than some of the hounds forwards.
Of the 5 you mentioned idk about Kobe Seguin...

We should get 2-3 decent players of the next draft so I think they’ll be okay.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Seguin has played in all but one game, and has 7 points in 31 games. Not bad for a rookie D but certainly not knocking it out of the park kind of numbers. I haven't actually caught any Thunderbirds games, can anyone give a scouting report on Kobe Seguin (2001) and Noah Boman (2000)? Problem with these players is that they will be getting a bit long in the tooth by next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Houndsfan22

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Seguin has played in all but on game, and has 7 points in 31 games. Not bad for a rookie D but certainly not knocking it out of the park kind of numbers. I haven't actually caught any Thunderbirds games, can anyone give a scouting report on Kobe Seguin (2001) and Noah Boman (2000)? Problem with these players is that they will be getting a bit long in the tooth by next season.
Boman is fast. Can make plays at top speed. Could definitely hold a spot on the Hounds this year, but i guess he just fell victim to a numbers game. In the two games I watched of Seguin he plays a bit on the edge, much like O'Rourke. However, he took some questionable penalties.. He needs some maturing but has the skills to become at least a top 5 defenceman for the Greyhounds.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Frost, Morgan (F)
Howdeshell, Keeghan (F)
Hayton, Barrett (F)
Sambrook, Jordan (D)
Hollowell, Mac (D)
Villalta, Matthew (G)
Peccia, Mario (G)

When considering roster construction, keep in mind that all 3 overage spots and perhaps both import spots will be open next season. I have my doubts that Demeo or Pucek will return.

Reactions: HockeyPops

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Frost, Morgan (F)
Howdeshell, Keeghan (F)
Hayton, Barrett (F)
Sambrook, Jordan (D)
Hollowell, Mac (D)
Villalta, Matthew (G)
Peccia, Mario (G)

I wouldn't count on any of your prospects besides your 02's making it next year. Unless you get a surprise commitment from an NCAAer. The rest would be depth guys at best, and I would think that SSM would look at acquiring excess depth through trade before relying upon someone like Seguin. It's not all bad, because they got a lot out of that 01' draft.

There are no stats for Parker on eliteprospects, but I heard he was good in camp and if SSM is content with a young tandem next year, he is probably the best bet for the backup job out of the prospects. However McIntyre may throw his hat into the ring as well (he also does not have any 2018-2019 stats on eliteprospects, but looks like a decent enough prospect from his track record). From a depth standpoint, I do not think they need to draft/trade for another goalie, unless they want a more experienced guy to pair with Taylor next year, but perhaps spending a pick in the U18 draft since it is a crapshoot anyways would not be a terrible idea just to get another body into camp.

Halushak, Watson and Brown all look like they could be good bets to make the team next year, and I would also add 2018 8th round center Tyson Tomasini. On top of Mufarreh, who was also there, plus anyone you get from the 2019 draft, SSM is not going to be short on young talent to add for next year. It'll be finding high end talent, especially Imports and OA's, to add to the top 9 and top 4 next year that will be the main challenge. Pucek should not be brought back. DeMeo may also get dealt or let go, only because you could probably find a better OA. However there may be teams that would be willing to pay a decent amount to bring him in as an OA.

Import-Hayton-Roth
OA-Carroll-MacKay
Kerins-McLean-OA
Brown-Kartye-Watson
Mufarreh/Tomasini

Trade/Release Trott, Johnston, Jacklin and Pucek.

O'Rourke-OA
Wale-LeGuerrier
Import-03'
Halushak-Calisti

Trade DeMeo

Taylor-Parker

Trade/Release: Trott, Johnston, Jacklin, Pucek and DeMeo. I think DeMeo could get a couple of mid-round picks. Johnston might get a 4th or 5th because he's been a pretty solid bottom 6 guy and is young. The others will likely re-enter the Import Draft or head to the QMJHL. I doubt many OHL teams will pay for them, but they could be good Q players.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's not all bad, because they got a lot out of that 01' draft.
They sure did!

I would also add 2018 8th round center Tyson Tomasini.
The stats we have on Tyson this season show he's only played in 1/5 of Pembroke Lumber King's games. Can you shed more light on how he is doing this year and why you believe he might be ready to make the Greyhounds next year?

Trade/Release: Trott, Johnston, Jacklin, Pucek and DeMeo.
I quite like Johnston, he has a great motor which is a real asset on a team like the Greyhounds. It's true that we are quite deep in '01s, with 7 on the roster this year, but if we need to look at trading some there may be some other '01s that haven't worked out quite as well here, that teams might be willing to pay more for (Carroll, Calisti).

Also no guarantee that Hayton is back next season. If he doesn't return we are going to be really young up the middle.

Wondering if you are advocating trading to get '99s this year before the deadline, or waiting until off season/next season? Do you think we have enough pick equity to trade for 3 OA next season?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's not all bad, because they got a lot out of that 01' draft.
Just one observation out of that 01 draft upon review - we only picked one defense in the top 10 rounds and only 2 total. With Calisti is still struggling a little to find his game, it leaves us a little thin with '01 defense. Hence my suggestion that they might look at Seguin again next year.

In contrast, our '02 draft had 3 defense drafted in the first 9 rounds, including our first overall pick. With Halushak also developing nicely, we are in good shape for our '02 class of defense.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Just one observation out of that 01 draft upon review - we only picked one defense in the top 10 rounds and only 2 total. With Calisti is still struggling a little to find his game, it leaves us a little thin with '01 defense. Hence my suggestion that they might look at Seguin again next year.

In contrast, our '02 draft had 3 defense drafted in the first 9 rounds, including our first overall pick. With Halushak also developing nicely, we are in good shape for our '02 class of defense.

I've listed some 01 names to consider, should we sell a veteran player. These aren't necessarily the best 01 defensemen, but I think they fit our style and are available.

Isaac Phillips (Sudbury)
Lucas Peric (Ottawa)
Mitchell Brewer (Oshawa)
Duncan Penman (Saginaw)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The stats we have on Tyson this season show he's only played in 1/5 of Pembroke Lumber King's games. Can you shed more light on how he is doing this year and why you believe he might be ready to make the Greyhounds next year?

I quite like Johnston, he has a great motor which is a real asset on a team like the Greyhounds. It's true that we are quite deep in '01s, with 7 on the roster this year, but if we need to look at trading some there may be some other '01s that haven't worked out quite as well here, that teams might be willing to pay more for (Carroll, Calisti).

Also no guarantee that Hayton is back next season. If he doesn't return we are going to be really young up the middle.

Wondering if you are advocating trading to get '99s this year before the deadline, or waiting until off season/next season? Do you think we have enough pick equity to trade for 3 OA next season?

Tomasini has 24 goals in 28 Midget AAA games. Although it is not exactly spectacular, you look at guys like Kartye and McLean coming out of Midget AAA and he is at least comparable to them, if not better (in terms of production at least). I think he would fit well as the extra center behind Kartye and McLean, since you do need to have some depth. Might as well use the good prospects you already have right?

I only chose Johnston because he seems to be playing on the wing more than McLean and Kartye, and a lot of the prospects being brought in are going to be wingers (Watson, Brown and Mufarreh full time next year). That is also why Pucek, Trott and Jacklin get bumped out.

If you would rather move Carroll, then it is possible to keep Johnston, but I do not think SSM sells low on him when he could possibly fill a top 6 role next year and turn things around. You could also put Johnston into one of the OA spots (i.e. 3rd line RW) and save some of the assets, but you could probably take the assets from Johnston and put it towards a pretty good OA. With a very young lineup, it may be better to get the extra experience (and likely better player) into the lineup for next year. Calisti could also be dealt, but I think he also gets a chance to turn it around and worst case, he would be good insurance for both the Import and 03' that would enter the lineup on defense. However, I think if he could get an Alex Gritz type return, then I would imagine SSM would sell him.

As for the 99's, I would look at some additions for this year. If it makes sense, then why not? SSM is a competitive enough team to warrant an addition that can help now and for next year. I think I would actually just keep DeMeo though. He is still a good enough defenseman to be a bottom 4 LD, and he would be a great vet to pair with an 03' you could draft. I would not worry too much about the cost. You won't get any amazing players, but you have enough middle round picks to be able to get a couple of quality OA's probably.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I would not worry about getting 01' defensemen specifically, and there is no guarantee that Seguin can translate any better than the young guys you already have on there. For example, Calisti was a lot better at Seguin's level than Seguin right now, so Seguin may be even worse if he plays in the OHL. You will have a young defense as it is, and then I would think SSM looks at a couple of defensemen in the first few rounds of the 03' draft, including potentially in the first round.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Agreed -puzzled by Sault and OS both rumored to throw in the towel?

I do not think either will do a full sell, unless they get a good offer for guys like Frost or Suzuki. However it seems like a buyers market so they may not get great prices on them, and would rather take a chance on a London or Ottawa slipping up.

I just do not think they spend any assets on rentals either. If they bring someone in, I think it'll be guys they can bring back next year.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
You can find it on eliteprospects. He’s 4th in league scoring so far for the 2018-2019 season...

Those stats are against younger competition in Midget AAA.

We'll get a better read on his progress now that he's been promoted to the CCHL.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Was sent some information

Talks ramping up of Frost going to London. Hollowells name was in the mix too.

I usually come forward with concrete info but I trust this source, it doesnt happen it doesnt but was told :

Evangelista or Panwar not both..plus hearing 2 2nds 3 3rds and a 4th

This is a offer FROM London to SSM. Not SSM pursuing London

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

I usually come forward with concrete info but I trust this source, it doesnt happen it doesnt but was told :

Panwar is ineligible to be traded. I would hang on to Frost is the offer is that weak.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Those stats are against younger competition in Midget AAA.

We'll get a better read on his progress now that he's been promoted to the CCHL.
I agree, but the question was where’s the link to his midget AAA games....

I don’t like using players stats from midget to project a range of what they could be. Using CCHL, OJHL, NOJHL, etc are much better.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo

Once again i'd rather hold onto Frost....or any Hound than trade them to London! It would have to be a "stupid good" deal for me to let anyone of our players help them! Just my thoughts of course.

Reactions: Lycanthrope
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad