SSM Greyhounds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
I’m sorry but this is unacceptable. We’ve hit part 2! That’s WAY too much talking between hounds fans. I will not stand for this. See you guys in the off-season chat.

(Sarcasm...obviously)

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Can't say i have a feeling one way or the other which way Raftis will play it at the deadline? The kids have been playing so well so i wouldn't be surprised if we didn't trade off our big stars and maybe just make some tweaks to the roster to help the younger players down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Can't say i have a feeling one way or the other which way Raftis will play it at the deadline? The kids have been playing so well so i wouldn't be surprised if we didn't trade off our big stars and maybe just make some tweaks to the roster to help the younger players down the stretch and into the playoffs.

We could stand to make some additions that will return as OA's since we probably have none next season. We can kill two birds with one stone by getting some veteran depth for the playoffs and doing some offseason shopping.

Sarnia has as many as 6 OA candidates next season so perhaps we could target someone like Nick Grima on the cheap.

Kitchener is in the same situation with a looming OA crunch next year. I think that Nick McHugh would fit into our style of play and not be too expensive.

Hamilton has 8 OA candidates, but nobody really jumps out to me as a great fit.

All of that being said, I still think we have to look into dealing one of our star forwards if we get a big time offer.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We could stand to make some additions that will return as OA's since we probably have none next season. We can kill two birds with one stone by getting some veteran depth for the playoffs and doing some offseason shopping.
Very intelligent assessment.
As you mention the following teams have excess returning 99's:
Sarnia 6
Kitchener 6
Hamilton 8

Let's add the following teams also:
North Bay 5
Windsor 4
Barrie 5
Kingston 5

Reactions: Fischhaber

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Something the Hounds should have done last season.....fill that OA spot! We’ve got 3 this year so a grinding C or W and a tough but quick D would help take pressure off the top players.

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017

Sarnia has as many as 6 OA candidates next season so perhaps we could target someone like Nick Grima on the cheap.

Kitchener is in the same situation with a looming OA crunch next year. I think that Nick McHugh would fit into our style of play and not be too expensive.

All of that being said, I still think we have to look into dealing one of our star forwards if we get a big time offer.
I very much like your approach! I'd also be interested to see what McGregor looked like in a deal with Grima, depending on how expensive he'd be of course. They'd be a nice little addition to the Greyhounds lineup.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I very much like your approach! I'd also be interested to see what McGregor looked like in a deal with Grima, depending on how expensive he'd be of course. They'd be a nice little addition to the Greyhounds lineup.
Hmmm, McGregor hasn't signed an ELC. I wonder if he will be back next season too? That would make 7 returnees on the Sting.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I'd love to see raftis working on Jarmoir Pytlik. Can say personally he is not happy with ice time in Czech

Also , in regards to goalie, I can see us adding a goaltender while utilizing the IMPORT DRAFT next year, but I do believe we have two stellar goalies in Taylor and Parker.

I give my edge to Parker.

With that being said London has literally only 2 player cards left they will add surely but not sure what. Formenton injury hurts them.

Hounds should add a winger and a big dman... buyers market gonna make it easy to add key players for Kyle I personally think

Little lip service for a scout I know - list of guys that would be on MY list Tippet, Suzuki, Vilardi, McLeod,McGregor, Josling, Sushko, Hugg,Meireles,Yantsis, Mchugh, Strome, Entwhistle are all forwards on my shopping list.

I don't think Joe Carroll stays a greyhound if we look to add.

Greyhounds can win 3 rounds in the playoffs and make it to western conference finals again. Once there we let the hockey gods decide who really deserves it...

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Wow there is a lot going on in this post.
I'd love to see raftis working on Jarmoir Pytlik. Can say personally he is not happy with ice time in Czech

Also , in regards to goalie, I can see us adding a goaltender while utilizing the IMPORT DRAFT next year
Working on Pytlik would be great. However, I don't see them picking anyone next year unless Pytlik goes first round. They won't release rights to Pytlik if they think there is any chance of him coming, and I don't see them giving up on Pucek.

With that being said London has literally only 2 player cards left they will add surely but not sure what. Formenton injury hurts them.
Thoroughly disputed on the London board. They claim they still have 4. Not sure who to believe.

Hounds should add a winger and a big dman... buyers market gonna make it easy to add key players for Kyle I personally think

Little lip service for a scout I know - list of guys that would be on MY list Tippet, Suzuki, Vilardi, McLeod,McGregor, Josling, Sushko, Hugg,Meireles,Yantsis, Mchugh, Strome, Entwhistle are all forwards on my shopping list.
It seems like it will be a buyers market with lots available, but Raftis will still have to empty his draft cupboards to pick up a forward from that list plus a big d man. Just because it's easy for Kyle to add, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I don't think Joe Carroll stays a greyhound if we look to add.
Well, if a team is requiring a 16 or 17 year old, Joe is tops on the list. I don't think Kyle will want to part with O'Rourke, and the rest of the 2001s might not prove to be enough trade bait. Still not sure this is a good idea.

Greyhounds can win 3 rounds in the playoffs and make it to western conference finals again. Once there we let the hockey gods decide who really deserves it...
They should have a good shot of making the western conference finals (it only takes winning 2 rounds to get there) if they load up. The real question is what kind of a playoff run could they have if they choose to tweak or sell off a bit?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Maybe the Rangers do a deal with you guys? People say you should sell, citing your lack of assets, to restock the cupboard. I don't see any reason why you can't buy at the deadline. No, you do not have a ton of assets in the cupboard. But the bottom line is, you are where teams are trying to get to - a top team in the conference. The Greyhounds could still add a lot of offence to their lineup relatively cheap.

It's hard to move import players at the deadline. However, the Greyhounds have an import spot open.

The Greyhounds can postpone their rebuild for one more year. They have Hayton returning next year and he could be sold off for a kings ransom (Robertson type return) in the off-season or early next season.

With some creativity, Sault Ste. Marie can buy at the deadline, and still add a little going into the next draft.

For instance:
To Soo:
Hugg
Yantsis
2nd in 19

To kitchener:
01 F Carroll
2nd in 21
2nd in 23
3rd in 22
4th in 20
*2nd in 24
*3rd in 23

Finding a landing spot for Hugg will be difficult for the Rangers. Most contending teams are already set at the import position. The alternative is allowing him to graduate and have nothing to show in return. If this deal had been Yantsis and one of our other 99's, that return may not be enough. But it isn't.

The conditionals are if Yantsis plays an overage season. He is very likely to. For a player who is on pace to score 40+ goals this year, that's a very good price to pay for an OA of that stature. If he continues at or close to that pace next year, and you guys find you are in a major rebuild, you would get probably double the conditionals for him in trade.

The Greyhounds add a second round pick in the upcoming draft. That helps with the rebuild.

I'm assuming the Rangers sell other pieces to replace that second round pick we send you in this deal for the 2019 draft. I am eyeing possible deals with Sudbury and/or Ottawa. Each of those teams have multiple picks in the second round in the 2019 draft. And both teams look to be buying. Surely, the Rangers can do a deal with one or both of those teams that include 2019 second round picks. But I would make sure that that deal or deals go down before a deal like the above with you guys to ensure the Rangers go into the draft with at least one 2nd.

The only negative in all this for the Soo is if Hayton sticks with the Coyotes next year. But at the end of the day, if that misfortune happened, as it did in Sarnia with Travis Konecny, it would hurt but not be the end of the world. The Sting were pretty good just two years later anyway.

I just re-read some of your posts and found that you have a second import player you are protecting. So I guess the only way Hugg goes your way is if your current import is included in the deal. Of course, the deal would have to be adjusted to reflect you current import's trade value.

To be honest though, since your import is a 2000 born player, he wouldn't be as valuable to the Rangers as he is to you guys. If the Rangers are set to contend again two years from now, that player wouldn't be around for that season. I am not sure if that would be enough of an issue to blow up this deal or not.

But you guys would be getting a hell of an upgrade at that import spot this season. Heck, considering Hugg is off at Sweden's world junior championship camp, is an excellent two-way player and is over a point a game this year on a bad team, to get him included in this deal you guys may be just as happy to send your current import our way without making much of an adjustment to the deal just to make room for Hugg. If you are still choosing to protect the other import going into next season, just dip back into the import draft to replace the guy you're sending us in this deal

Last edited:
Reactions: soo hound girl

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Maybe the Rangers do a deal with you guys? People say you should sell, citing your lack of assets, to restock the cupboard. I don't see any reason why you can't buy at the deadline. No, you do not have a ton of assets in the cupboard. But the bottom line is, you are where teams are trying to get to - a top team in the conference. The Greyhounds could still add a lot of offence to their lineup relatively cheap.

It's hard to move import players at the deadline. However, the Greyhounds have an import spot open.

The Greyhounds can postpone their rebuild for one more year. They have Hayton returning next year and he could be sold off for a kings ransom (Robertson type return) in the off-season or early next season.

With some creativity, Sault Ste. Marie can buy at the deadline, and still add a little going into the next draft.

For instance:
To Soo:
Hugg
Yantsis
2nd in 19

To kitchener:
01 F Carroll
2nd in 21
2nd in 23
3rd in 22
4th in 20
*2nd in 24
*3rd in 23

Finding a landing spot for Hugg will be difficult for the Rangers. Most contending teams are already set at the import position. The alternative is allowing him to graduate and have nothing to show in return. If this deal had been Yantsis and one of our other 99's, that return may not be enough. But it isn't.

The conditionals are if Yantsis plays an overage season. He is very likely to. For a player who is on pace to score 40+ goals this year, that's a very good price to pay for an OA of that stature. If he continues at or close to that pace next year, and you guys find you are in a major rebuild, you would get probably double the conditionals for him in trade.

The Greyhounds add a second round pick in the upcoming draft. That helps with the rebuild.

I'm assuming the Rangers sell other pieces to replace that second round pick we send you in this deal for the 2019 draft. I am eyeing possible deals with Sudbury and/or Ottawa. Each of those teams have multiple picks in the second round in the 2019 draft. And both teams look to be buying. Surely, the Rangers can do a deal with one or both of those teams that include 2019 second round picks. But I would make sure that that deal or deals go down before a deal like the above with you guys to ensure the Rangers go into the draft with at least one 2nd.

The only negative in all this for the Soo is if Hayton sticks with the Coyotes next year. But at the end of the day, if that misfortune happened, as it did in Sarnia with Travis Konecny, it would hurt but not be the end of the world. The Sting were pretty good just two years later anyway.

I just re-read some of your posts and found that you have a second import player you are protecting. So I guess the only way Hugg goes your way is if your current import is included in the deal. Of course, the deal would have to be adjusted to reflect you current import's trade value.

To be honest though, since your import is a 2000 born player, he wouldn't be as valuable to the Rangers as he is to you guys. If the Rangers are set to contend again two years from now, that player wouldn't be around for that season. I am not sure if that would be enough of an issue to blow up this deal or not.

But you guys would be getting a hell of an upgrade at that import spot this season. Heck, considering Hugg is off at Sweden's world junior championship camp, is an excellent two-way player and is over a point a game this year on a bad team, to get him included in this deal you guys may be just as happy to send your current import our way without making much of an adjustment to the deal just to make room for Hugg. If you are still choosing to protect the other import going into next season, just dip back into the import draft to replace the guy you're sending us in this deal
I have been saying if we don’t sell we should target Hugg won’t cost us much as far as Yantsis and Hugg for Carroll and all those picks I don’t know if we could afford to go that big . I do like what you said how other teams are trying to get where we are we have 5 big time players other teams would love to have I guess we will find out soon enough witch way we go

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have been saying if we don’t sell we should target Hugg won’t cost us much as far as Yantsis and Hugg for Carroll and all those picks I don’t know if we could afford to go that big . I do like what you said how other teams are trying to get where we are we have 5 big time players other teams would love to have I guess we will find out soon enough witch way we go

One of the biggest misconceptions out there is that when you have an empty cupboard, it needs to be filled up again right away.

Sure, your cupboard is near empty. But, you only have to make sure you have picks for the upcoming draft. Sending you that second in 2019 does that for this draft. Selling off Hayton, plus others next year solves a lot more of your issues going forward.

I've said in other posts that a decent veteran third pairing defenceman can usually be acquired relatively inexpensive at the deadline. I point to the deal that Kingston made with Erie for Mitchell Byrne.

Kingston got a veteran D with a lot of playoff experience for a couple late round picks. A 6th and 13th I believe.

You guys could improve your D that way as well if you think you need to.

Buying at the deadline doesn't always mean doing major deals like the one you made last year for Raddysh/Sambrook.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

For instance:
To Soo:
Hugg
Yantsis
2nd in 19

To kitchener:
01 F Carroll
2nd in 21
2nd in 23
3rd in 22
4th in 20
*2nd in 24
*3rd in 23

I like Hugg a lot and I also like Yantsis. He's made some big strides this year and I think that confidence started in last year's playoffs.

I'm not sure that the Hounds are prepared to do a deal of that magnitude, but it's likely that Pucek would be thrown in. He hasn't developed as expected so far and the team can't wait on him.

What are your thoughts on the Rangers dealing McHugh? I think he's the guy that the Hounds would target. He's got a really high motor from what I have seen and we seem to value that above all else.

The Hounds play this year has been both a blessing and a curse. A big sell could have set us up as well as any team going forward, but now we're obligated to buy. On the plus side, the young players have stepped up in a big way, so it's hard to complain.

I think they'll look to add both a forward and a defenseman. I could see them being interested in Garreffa as well. We have never shied away from small players.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I like Hugg a lot and I also like Yantsis. He's made some big strides this year and I think that confidence started in last year's playoffs.

I'm not sure that the Hounds are prepared to do a deal of that magnitude, but it's likely that Pucek would be thrown in. He hasn't developed as expected so far and the team can't wait on him.

What are your thoughts on the Rangers dealing McHugh? I think he's the guy that the Hounds would target. He's got a really high motor from what I have seen and we seem to value that above all else.

The Hounds play this year has been both a blessing and a curse. A big sell could have set us up as well as any team going forward, but now we're obligated to buy. On the plus side, the young players have stepped up in a big way, so it's hard to complain.

I think they'll look to add both a forward and a defenseman. I could see them being interested in Garreffa as well. We have never shied away from small players.

Truth be told, I believe Kitchener should be trying to sell off as many of their 99's as possible. The guys I targeted to be moved who would bring value and who would be asssets to a contender are Meireles, Garreffa, McHugh, Hugg and Yantsis.

When I looked at you guys and how you would like to maybe buy but not have a ton of assets to go the other way in a deal, I figured Kitchener would be a good trade partner considering these players that we would like to move are not high end or elite.

Because you have, or at least I thought, and import spot open, I thought Hugg would be a good fit. Also, your lack of veterans upfront made me think a goal scoring vet would be in order. So, considering your cupboard is thin, a player like Yantsis would be huge for you guys this season and would bring a good return in the off-season should you decide to sell him. Probably more so than a McHugh.

That's why I came up with those two players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fischhaber

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Thinking that the only non roster players we have burned cards on this year would be Tyler Johnson and Phil Caron.

30 - 24 - 2 = 4 left

I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->