GDT: Squires @ Guppies 1pm

Ban Barrie from next GDT?

• Total voters

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Was he? His stats even for defensemen don't look that good. Compared to vlasics stats in jr's it makes vlasic look like bobby orr.

Ojhl he had 12 points in 43 games. And 40 in 51 games. For a total of 52 points in 94 games.

Ushl he had 41 points in 60 games.

Ncaa he had 23 in 39 and 14 in 41.

The harder the league the worse he gets offensively.
In Juniors Vlassic was Bobby Orr. I think he had 72 points his final season.:eek:

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know who #19 in black was today but he could be an option going forward at #3 C. Much better than the guy who has been there this season up to this point.:sarcasm:

Also, at about 5min of the 1st period Ferraro went 1 on 1 with Kopitar and eliminated him. That kid is awesome. I don't think he's ever an offensive juggernaut but he definitely has some puck skill and could put up 40 to 50 points at some point when he gets completely comfortable.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Ferraro was billed as an offensive defenseman. I would like to see him chip in offensively. Too often, I think that the Sharks try and turn offensively talented blueliners into shutdown guys who can move the puck and skate well.

Seriously, who ever billed him as an offensive defenseman?

I do not recall a single person ever saying that about him. He was always referred to as the guy who played with Makar and was an energizer bunny that Makar said was an awesome defenseman.

Now I agree with you that he could chip in more, as he has been a black hole production wise this year so far, but if can play the way he does now, but add like 30 pts, that would be awesome.

Actually the LA feed had a pretty good angle on that looks like the head was hit. The question is if a face to back still counts...

The head was not a principle point of contact at all. Suomela ran into his back/butt, and his head whipped forward into the guys back. Late sure, primary head contact, not at all.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

For those who don't listen to radio or missed EK65 post game interview. :)

It's funny - Karl can have the most "cliche hockey player" answers but I did it find it interesting he spoke about he and Vlasic taking pride in their work on the PK, breaking the puck out hard, understanding when they can do the little things better, and how as a pair they work well in both zones.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
It's funny - Karl can have the most "cliche hockey player" answers but I did it find it interesting he spoke about he and Vlasic taking pride in their work on the PK, breaking the puck out hard, understanding when they can do the little things better, and how as a pair they work well in both zones.
Since Simek has come back, Vlasic and Karlsson have been the difference makers for the 10-2 run.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Pretty much everyone who issued scouting reports based on his junior and college play billed him as a 2 way defenseman and commented on his offensive strengths, so there is that.

My sense is he is really picking his spots offensively to limit mistakes. A couple of scouting reports mentioned him needing to limit high risk plays and getting caught deep on the rush to be successful at the NHL level (his skating kept him out of trouble at the lower levels). We've seen little to none of that, which tells me he is focusing on defense first. We have enough NHL caliber D where he probably wants to ensure he keeps his spot in the lineup.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

I don't really have an issue with this guy to be honest, it's actually one I wish the sharks would do every once in awhile. The biggest problem is shovels doesn't ever really possess the puck so it's a bit predatory but hockey needs to bring a little of that back

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Pretty much everyone who issued scouting reports based on his junior and college play billed him as a 2 way defenseman and commented on his offensive strengths, so there is that.

My sense is he is really picking his spots offensively to limit mistakes. A couple of scouting reports mentioned him needing to limit high risk plays and getting caught deep on the rush to be successful at the NHL level (his skating kept him out of trouble at the lower levels). We've seen little to none of that, which tells me he is focusing on defense first. We have enough NHL caliber D where he probably wants to ensure he keeps his spot in the lineup.

Yeah two way defenseman with offensive upside is a lot more in line with what I remember him being touted as, not an offensive defenseman.

I agree with your assessment of his play so far. I too feel like he’s focusing on being defensively responsible first so he keeps his job, and I feel like he’ll settle in as time goes on and get more comfortable jumping into the play. In fact last night on that play he drove to the net, is the first time I can clearly recall him ever being in that position this year. So maybe he’s starting to get a bit more bold offensively. I’ll be stoked if he starts adding some offense to his nhl game.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

A lot of scouts! No one was saying he was Paul Coffey or Phil Housley, but that he could definitely chip in offensively. He was never touted as a purely stay-at-home type.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
A lot of scouts! No one was saying he was Paul Coffey or Phil Housley, but that he could definitely chip in offensively. He was never touted as a purely stay-at-home type.

Well either those reports were saying something odd, or our definitions of “offensive defenseman” are different.

Chipping in offensively doesn’t indicate offensive defenseman to me.

It’s doesnt really matter though, since I do agree with you that he can definitely pitch in more on offense than he has, especially if he wants to be more than a complementary, “babysitter” top 4 Dman. Luckily he’s just a rookie, so hopefully he keeps growing and does some of that chipping in sooner than later.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I've loved Shovels game since coming back up and I hate that he's going to miss time but I have no complaint with that hit. If a sharks player did it to someone else I would argue till the end of time that it was legal and shouldn't even have resulted in a penalty due to the fact that shovels touched the puck just prior. Burns has KOd guys multiple times with almost the exact same hit without a penalty. You don't get a head shot penalty for hitting someone with your ass or back.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think the offense will come once he feels like he has the defensive side down.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Martin Jones has been the team’s best player over that stretch.
I think it's coincided with a number of players finding their game... Vlassic and Meier would probably be 2 of the biggest reasons after Jones. There were so many guys playing like shit it's no wonder the team was losing so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad