Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The dude that no-hit the Jays earlier in the season just got suspended for 10 games after he was ejected from a game for having a foreign substance on his glove that the umpire from that game called "the stickiest thing he's ever felt since they started testing."

Iiiiiiinteresting.

An Astro cheating?

Why I’d never!

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
How does being at 2B tank his value? He's going to succeed or fail based on his bat. It seems like he's not going to be a great defender, so the best thing you can do for him is find the position where he looks best.

They also have two other solid prospects - Barger and Palmegiani - getting regular reps at 3B. So Orelvis was never going to play every day at 3B anyway. There's no reason not to see if he can handle 2B.
His OPS was higher than his fielding % at 2B in the minors. As bad defensively as he might be at 3B, it is one of his natural positions and he is definitely way worse defending at 2B.

When your fielding % is around .915 that is just terribad defensively.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

Atkins is a ridiculous clown.

After scolding AA for burning the farm to juice the 2015 core, Shatkins is basically hinting they are willing to do the same thing to add to this garbage core.

Ownership needs to act quick before Shatkins starts to make panic trades dealing some of these prospects, which will make a bad situation even worse.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

After scolding AA for burning the farm to juice the 2015 core, Shatkins is basically hinting they are willing to do the same thing to add to this garbage core.

Ownership needs to act quick before Shatkins starts to make panic trades dealing some of these prospects, which will make a bad situation even worse.

This is not a roster you add to. Yea you spent a LOT of money on it but you bet on the wrong horse. Take your beating and move on. Please don’t let this man make trades to try and save his job

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Here's a thought, Ross, you dumb son of a bitch, if there's a premium on player values right now, how about you start selling our vets for said premium, instead of looking to buy for a team that has no shot at competing?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

The Atkins is an Idiot club is growing by the day. A little late to the party, but welcome aboard. Drinks are in the fridge.

This team needs to be selling if they're still in the current position at the deadline.

I can see the Dodgers wanting Kikuchi to join his buddy Ohtani and strengthen their rotation, but I'm not really a big fan of the Dodgers top ranked prospects though, and don't think they'd move Pages for a rental anyway.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If the Jays can find a star LF and DH in the next 10 months (which should have been something like Hoskins and Bellinger/Soto this last offseason) then we may be able to re-tool for 2024-25. A full-fledged rebuild might be inevitable but if we can find two star hitters next offseason, maybe they re-tool instead of rebuilding. If they can't find a couple of star hitters, then I'd agree they need a full rebuild. Keep in mind, a full rebuild could take 3-4 years and will be quite painful. A re-tool would be preferable but I'm not sure if it's possible. I also think this team is closer to an 83-84 win team over 162 not 75-76.

1. ?
2. Guerrero Jr.
3. ?
4. Jansen
5. Schneider
6. Bichette
7. Varsho
8. Springer
9. Clement/IKF

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The Atkins is an Idiot club is growing by the day. A little late to the party, but welcome aboard. Drinks are in the fridge.

This team needs to be selling if they're still in the current position at the deadline.

I can see the Dodgers wanting Kikuchi to join his buddy Ohtani and strengthen their rotation, but I'm not really a big fan of the Dodgers top ranked prospects though, and don't think they'd move Pages for a rental anyway.
Lmao at you thinking I just started hating Shatkins yesterday.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The BlueJays should go on a winning streak because their next few series are against weaker teams than the Jays. Let's hope they go 10-0 or something similar.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The BlueJays should go on a winning streak because their next few series are against weaker teams than the Jays. Let's hope they go 10-0 or something similar.
If they’re not in the WC race at the end of the month then they start shopping their pending FA and unsigned.
It would be ideal if they replaced Aitkins before making any moves, but with the draft coming up timing is awful.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Talking to my bro in law yesterday it is much worse then this actually .. Jays have a pathetic farm system .. yes there are a few players who are good but overall bottom third of MLB .. at least AA had a top third farm system .. these dudes from Cleveland were always cheapos and it should not surprise anyone on here that Ed hired cheapos .. well good thing is prez did fix up stadium pretty nice .. our 1st (and last) game yesterday .. 4 seats 4 rows up behind plate were $4,500 total .. was talking to some of patrons/subscribers who go to most games and they said seat capacity much reduced but seat views and seat space are much much better .. overall those seats behind plate went from $550 each last year to roughly $1,000 this year .. so Ed basically reduced seats but increased prices a ton so overall team is taking much more money from its subscriber base .. i fell bad for you subscribers to have to pay that much more to watch this level of talent and performance .. i guess you have to be a diehard .. best of luck to Jays .. hope Ed sells team for TO's sake

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Lmao at you thinking I just started hating Shatkins yesterday.
This is literally the first time I've seen you in this thread. You've only been posting here since last July. lol

Besides, I wasn't even talking about you specifically. I was talking about Jays fans in general, and his fans on this board especially.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
This is literally the first time I've seen you in this thread. You've been only posting since July. lol

Besides, I wasn't even talking about you specifically. I was talking about Jays fans in general, and his fans on this board especially.
Okay I get it, so unless I profess my hate constantly in a baseball thread within a hockey forum, I don't actually hate Shatkins?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Okay I get it, so unless I profess my hate constantly in a baseball thread within a hockey forum, I don't actually hate Shatkins?
No, not at all. But if you want to get all uppity like I should have known or been aware of what your opinions were/are, then yeah.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
No, not at all. But if you want to get all uppity like I should have known or been aware of what your opinions were/are, then yeah.
I wouldn't have even replied to you if you hadn't said "little late to the party", clearly implying you thought I was some kind of Shatkins kool aid chugger previously.

Also lmao at you agreeing with my bait premise at the end. I guess pretty much everyone in this thread must be wannabe Shatkins shoe shiners according to you because maybe only 1 or 2 posters max hate on Shatkins every day in this thread.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I wouldn't have even replied to you if you hadn't said "little late to the party", clearly implying you thought I was some kind of Shatkins kool aid chugger previously.

Also lmao at you agreeing with my bait premise at the end. I guess pretty much everyone in this thread must be wannabe Shatkins shoe shiners according to you because maybe only 1 or 2 posters max hate on Shatkins every day in this thread.
I think you need to work on your reading comprehension, bud. I didn't "agree with you." I said if you were a regular poster on here like a Kurtz, Eyedea, kb, canucksfan, etc then you might have a "right" to demand that I be aware of your general stances to things, it was a conditional statement. But, as someone who's been here since 2008 I wouldn't know you from Adam based on your post frequency, positive or negative.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jays on May 12th games ago: 6.0 GBs of the Wildcard

Record since: 2-4

Today: Jays 3.5 GBs of the Wildcard

Jays have twice as many losses as wins in the last week and made up 2.5 Games in the WC race. It is an incredibly weak wildcard race. Unless you get a great offer to sell (a la Ragans for Chapman), you play this out until the deadline.

Last year, a 90 win. 5th seed. AL WC and 84 win. 6th seed. NL WC made it to the WS. So as long as you're in the hunt you take it, especially in a weak WC race. Contending for a playoff spot isnt always there, rebuilding will always be there at anytime whenever you are ready.

Your hitting is underperforming to epic proportions, your bullpen is one of the worst in the league and the starters haven't found their groove yet. If one of those comeback you are in a WC spot and if 2 come back, you are comfortably in a wildcard spot.

Outside of Baltimore, next 20 games are key:
3 vs CWS
4 vs DET
3 vs CWS
3 vs PIT
4 vs BAL
3 vs OAK

We will see what the Jays are about. Got to win at least 12-13 of those and you are probably in a WC spot.I'm playing this out until June to see where this ends up. Jays players are too good for them to be this bad.

Tiny sample size but some of the top guys are hitting better over the last week vs good pitching (Baltimore and Tampa):
Guerrero Jr. : 164 wRC+
Kirk: 150 wRC+
Bichette: 116 wRC+
Springer; 112 wRC+

Not saying the Jays will make the playoffs or win a WS, just saying they have time before the deadline so let this play out see where you are in June and July. And if you arent there, you can always sell at anytime.

Last edited:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Monday Morning Update:

Defense:
Pitcher - Berrios is now tied for 1st overall with 3 DRS

Catcher - Kirk now leads all catchers in Def, he's tied for 3rd in DRS (Raleigh and Trevino)

1st Base - Vlad is still mid-pack but slipping. He's at -1 DRS.

2nd base - The Jays have gotten around midpack D at 2B. Def likes Cavan but DRS doesn't.

Shortstop - Bo is 22nd. While Def likes him, DRS doesn't.

3B - IKF is the top Jay at 13th in Def and 2 DRS. (Note: Chapman has 5 DRS but a 0.1 Def, which is very similar to last year).

LF - Varsho leads Def and is at 6 DRS (1 behind Verdugo)

CF - Varsho is 5th in Def, KK is 10th. Varsho is also 2nd in DRS at 7 while KK has only 2 DRS)

RF - Springer had a rough week defensively and is now 114th of everyone who has played at least 1 inning

Standings:
DC - Jays are on pace for 81-81 which would be t-10th in the AL

Playoff Odds - 80.4 projected wins, 1.1% Win Div, 0.9% Clinch Bye, 20.8% Clinch Wild Card, 21.9% Make Playoffs, 1% Win World Series

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Monday Morning Update:

Defense:
Pitcher - Berrios is now tied for 1st overall with 3 DRS

Catcher - Kirk now leads all catchers in Def, he's tied for 3rd in DRS (Raleigh and Trevino)

1st Base - Vlad is still mid-pack but slipping. He's at -1 DRS.

2nd base - The Jays have gotten around midpack D at 2B. Def likes Cavan but DRS doesn't.

Shortstop - Bo is 22nd. While Def likes him, DRS doesn't.

3B - IKF is the top Jay at 13th in Def and 2 DRS. (Note: Chapman has 5 DRS but a 0.1 Def, which is very similar to last year).

LF - Varsho leads Def and is at 6 DRS (1 behind Verdugo)

CF - Varsho is 5th in Def, KK is 10th. Varsho is also 2nd in DRS at 7 while KK has only 2 DRS)

RF - Springer had a rough week defensively and is now 114th of everyone who has played at least 1 inning

Standings:
DC - Jays are on pace for 81-81 which would be t-10th in the AL

Playoff Odds - 80.4 projected wins, 1.1% Win Div, 0.9% Clinch Bye, 20.8% Clinch Wild Card, 21.9% Make Playoffs, 1% Win World Series
There are 15 players in baseball who have at least +6 DRS. Because Fangraphs treats each OF position separately in their rankings, Varsho is two of those 15 players. That's wild.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad