Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In 5 years, that Trout deal will look like a bargain compared to the new ones they're signing at that point.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
In 5 years, that Trout deal will look like a bargain compared to the new ones they're signing at that point.
Could be. Could be the TV deals are taking a beating by that time. TV is changing. Wonder where all these TV deals are going. I’m not going to continue paying these high prices.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I don’t believe Boras is his agent
Yeah I didn’t check that but you’re right. I was 100% sure he was but I guess I had him mixed up with JBJ.

Good news I guess but the reports of him definitely reaching FA is troubling to me. Philly will probably offer similar to what they were planning to offer Trout. Feel like the Yankees will be players even with Judge coming up and Stanton’s big contract.

If he does reach FA, he’s one of the few no brainers, a lot more so than Harper or Machado in my opinion. Young, marketable, and no black marks on his record at all.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Could be. Could be the TV deals are taking a beating by that time. TV is changing. Wonder where all these TV deals are going. I’m not going to continue paying these high prices.

Instead of TV it will be streaming revenues, or however people will choose to consume the product. The bigger issue isn't what chosen media is being used to watch, but that the average age of an MLB viewer is aging out of key demos and not being replaced by younger fans.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The Angels, for example, averaged 37,200 a game at an average ticket price of $30/ea. That's 90.4 million in ticket revenue alone.

Then add on top of that all concessions, merchandise sales, marketing/advertising agreements, TV revenue, and its not hard to see where the $ is.

And the Angels aren't close to tops in ticket revenue.

The Red Sox were around 161.9 million
The Yankees were around 163.7 million
The Cubs were around 183.4 million
The Dodgers were around 156 million

Average MLB ticket price 2018, by team | Statista
2018 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Thanks. I suppose I knew where they got the dollars, but --- again, as someone who was never much of fan -- still don't get the crazy, crazy numbers.

Where's Oscar Schindler when you need him?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Thanks. I suppose I knew where they got the dollars, but --- again, as someone who was never much of fan -- still don't get the crazy, crazy numbers.

Where's Oscar Schindler when you need him?
What a terrible comparison.

Nothing like referring to the Holocaust when sports salaries come up.

You spelled his name wrong by the way

Reactions: Pia8988

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Honestly, I'm not as sure of him leaving now.

If Trout didn't sign this deal and went to UFA as well, I think Betts does too. Mainly because each of them could've gotten close to a 500+ deal with all available teams bidding.

Now? I don't know.

With Trout taking the security and familiarity, I think it actually hurts Mookie because the league now knows what the top tier contract for the best player is.

You have all the comparable contracts you need to get a Betts extension done now due to Harper, and now Trout signing since they both are OFers, and coupled with the deals for Machado and Arenado, there's a benchmark for dollars.

I think if they offer him the aforementioned 12/400-415, it gets done. Maybe toss an opt out in there at year 7 or so.

I lived in Boston and visited California and there is a big difference in the lifestyle.Easy decision for Trout but not Betts I would imagine.Bye bye winter's

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ichiro Suzuki will retire after this game

54516283_10217386715392557_8506973205573926912_o.jpg

Reactions: Seidenbergy

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I lived in Boston and visited California and there is a big difference in the lifestyle.Easy decision for Trout but not Betts I would imagine.Bye bye winter's
Do you really think Mookie Betts' off season home is Boston?

Has nothing to do with it.

FWIW Trout used to go back to Philly area for the offseason.

Reactions: McGarnagle

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Glad they got it done, but man are they taking a risk with that deal given the potential health issues with Sale down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad