Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hi there! The place was a dump for so long. Refurbishing it was literally putting lipstick on a pig. Going to that place was a PITA and I went very infrequently because of all of that. I hated McCoy Stadium and didn't get why they wouldn't move years ago.

Worcester is simply a far easier drive for most MA based people. It's also easier and closer for those in NH, VT, CT, and ME should they want to do a road trip. With the way Kelly Square is changing (which predates the Sox coming there) there are plenty of other things to do in that direct area besides the game. With Pawtucket, it was go to the game and leave since it was near nothing else of interest.

as many people will road trip from NH/VT/ME to Worcester for AAA ball as did for the Ice Cats and Sharks.

anyone road tripping for a game from up there is going to Boston or not bothering.

especially Maine where they'll just to go the Sea Dogs instead

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
as many people will road trip from NH/VT/ME to Worcester for AAA ball as did for the Ice Cats and Sharks.

anyone road tripping for a game from up there is going to Boston or not bothering.

How many people whould go to see the providence islanders or the Pawtucket twins if they where not affiliated with the Boston teams ?

Reactions: LSCII

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Betts will go to free agency in 2020 and leave Boston. I’m convinced of that more than ever after seeing that Trout extension

Honestly, I'm not as sure of him leaving now.

If Trout didn't sign this deal and went to UFA as well, I think Betts does too. Mainly because each of them could've gotten close to a 500+ deal with all available teams bidding.

Now? I don't know.

With Trout taking the security and familiarity, I think it actually hurts Mookie because the league now knows what the top tier contract for the best player is.

You have all the comparable contracts you need to get a Betts extension done now due to Harper, and now Trout signing since they both are OFers, and coupled with the deals for Machado and Arenado, there's a benchmark for dollars.

I think if they offer him the aforementioned 12/400-415, it gets done. Maybe toss an opt out in there at year 7 or so.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

If they're doing a Sox game in Boston, why wouldn't they be open to taking in a game in a new park in Worcester too? You also discount the weather. Who wants to walk around Worcester in the winter? The area with the new park is nice, and there's a lot of other things to do within walking distance. RI people's butt hurtedness aside.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
12 years is a long time for someone who is about to turn 28 during the season.
Oh I agree, but it's unfortunately the way MLB is trending.

My guess is that contract is heavily front loaded as to not saddle the Angels with a terrible deal towards the end when productivity/health don't come close to matching the salary.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Exactly. Keep in mind his location and the butt hurt factor though. RI is gonna RI...:laugh:
Pepole forgot when the providence reds where not affiliated with Boston the team ended up moving.There seems to be a bad track record outside of teams named Bruins and Red Sox in Rhode Island.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Pepole forgot when the providence reds where not affiliated with Boston the team ended up moving.There seems to be a bad track record outside of teams named Bruins and Red Sox in Rhode Island.
Providence Reds wanted to be in Portland until the Flyers won the territory, Centrum, that's why the two don't co-exist, how did you think Binghamton got its start in pro hockey

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Trout is the #1 jersey in 2018, and top 3 every year. At $90 a pop

Not to mention the vast majority of the 37,200 fans per game last year were there for Trout at an average of $30 each.

Figure half are there because of Trout. that's $44,955,000 he generated in ticket revenue alone ($30 * 18,500 * 81)
I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen anyone in a Trout jersey. Bennintendi and Betts seem to be the most popular by a LOT.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen anyone in a Trout jersey. Bennintendi and Betts seem to be the most popular by a LOT.

I live 20 minutes from Anaheim. I see more Red Sox/Yankees/Dodgers gear than Angels around here.

I think Manfred was kind of being a jerk when he called out Trout for not being outgoing enough last year, but there may be something to the fact that one of the best five-tool players of all time has absolutely no media presence.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I live 20 minutes from Anaheim. I see more Red Sox/Yankees/Dodgers gear than Angels around here.

I think Manfred was kind of being a jerk when he called out Trout for not being outgoing enough last year, but there may be something to the fact that one of the best five-tool players of all time has absolutely no media presence.
I mean part of that has to do with the fact that he plays for a franchise that is totally irrelevant. If he played for the Phillies, Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, even if he wanted to keep himself out of the spotlight, he wouldn't be able to.

But yes, he should be marketed more IMO. Not that people don't know who Trout is, but he's one of those generational players. He should be a house hold name.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
A sincere question from someone who hasn't followed baseball in many years.

I thought football was the number one sport in America, even if their "union" is less than hearty & owners call the tune.

Baseball is, to me, a dying game. Where does the league get $ 430 million for a 12 year contract for ONE GUY?

You could point to television revenue, but given the pace of the game and its aging demographic (sorry), I really don't understand this. The Sox paid "Dice K" (sic, sorry again) $50 million just to *talk * contract, as I recall?

Where does all the money come from?

Again, a sincere, if ignorant, question.

Reactions: UConn126

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I thought football was the number one sport in America, even if their "union" is less than hearty & owners call the tune.

Baseball is, to me, a dying game. Where does the league get $ 430 million for a 12 year contract for ONE GUY?

You could point to television revenue, but given the pace of the game and its aging demographic (sorry), I really don't understand this. The Sox paid "Dice K" (sic, sorry again) $50 million just to *talk * contract, as I recall?

MLB Sees Record Revenues Of $10.3 Billion For 2018

Sponsors, television rights, gate revenue, and merchandise

Reactions: GordonHowe

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
430 million and it doesn’t get the Angels any better. Guy will be 40. Baseball is starting to be unwatchable.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

The Angels, for example, averaged 37,200 a game at an average ticket price of $30/ea. That's 90.4 million in ticket revenue alone.

Then add on top of that all concessions, merchandise sales, marketing/advertising agreements, TV revenue, and its not hard to see where the $ is.

And the Angels aren't close to tops in ticket revenue.

The Red Sox were around 161.9 million
The Yankees were around 163.7 million
The Cubs were around 183.4 million
The Dodgers were around 156 million

Average MLB ticket price 2018, by team | Statista
2018 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad