Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not a single thing they've done has been dumb. You may not like the outcome, but they got the deal they wanted and they took it.

The primary reason the Pawsox are leaving Rhode Island is Curt Schilling. Massachusetts refused to help Shilling's company as they did not see it as viable. Rhode Island officials decided it was and it cost the state $75 million.

Current RI lawmakers refused to look at the long term benefit a new stadium would have brought to downtown Pawtucket.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Christ, how disconnected from reality is this ownership group?

Do they really think some facetious crap like this is going to fool RI'ers and get them to come groveling at their feet thanking them for allowing the Pawsox to grace Pawtucket?

This makes me think even more they're going to be dumb enough to try sticking a AA or SIngle A team at McCoy and not expect the mother of all backlashes

Yes, yes they do. Larry Lucchino views the fans as nothing more than mindless walking wallets. He thinks everyone is stupid enough to fall for his marketing ploy...

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The primary reason the Pawsox are leaving Rhode Island is Curt Schilling. Massachusetts refused to help Shilling's company as they did not see it as viable. Rhode Island officials decided it was and it cost the state $75 million.

Current RI lawmakers refused to look at the long term benefit a new stadium would have brought to downtown Pawtucket.

Trust me, I know the entire story. Inside and out.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Ben Mondor's ownership group used Worcester twice as leverage for McCoy renovations why should Worcester fans feel bad for Rhode Island fans now.They are probably still going to have a milb team and eventually the only ahl team in New England.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ben Mondor's ownership group used Worcester twice as leverage for McCoy renovations why should Worcester fans feel bad for RI fans now.

They shouldn't.

Sure Mondor listened to Worcester and he was a Blackstone Valley guy from Woonsocket and Worcester was a viable option. The renovations at McCoy 20 years ago were wonderful.

I told Doctor C last summer they were making a mistake. Worcester would be an excellent AA town but not AAA as it doesn't have the population and a very limited media market. The Pawsox built a viable radio network and many games were televised on Cox cable statewide - that is not going to happen in Worcester.

The population numbers speak for themselves

upload_2019-3-19_1-29-16.png

upload_2019-3-19_1-30-7.png

upload_2019-3-19_1-31-13.png

The lack of a media market in Worcester is the biggest problem. They won't have local news showing scores and highlights and there are limited radio station options for promotions.

Worcester sadly has a track record of doing projects to jumpstart the city that have failed miserably. The downtown mall in the '70s was a complete failure, the airport has a fatal flaw because of limited access by car and the Centrum enjoyed a good run until TD Garden was built.

I hope I am wrong but I can't see this working out for the long term.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
They shouldn't.

Sure Mondor listened to Worcester and he was a Blackstone Valley guy from Woonsocket and Worcester was a viable option. The renovations at McCoy 20 years ago were wonderful.

I told Doctor C last summer they were making a mistake. Worcester would be an excellent AA town but not AAA as it doesn't have the population and a very limited media market. The Pawsox built a viable radio network and many games were televised on Cox cable statewide - that is not going to happen in Worcester.

The population numbers speak for themselves

View attachment 201693
View attachment 201695
View attachment 201697

The lack of a media market in Worcester is the biggest problem. They won't have local news showing scores and highlights and there are limited radio station options for promotions.

Worcester sadly has a track record of doing projects to jumpstart the city that have failed miserably. The downtown mall in the '70s was a complete failure, the airport has a fatal flaw because of limited access by car and the Centrum enjoyed a good run until TD Garden was built.

I hope I am wrong but I can't see this working out for the long term.
The ahl in Worcester was hurt by the close proximity of the providence bruins. the p bruins are aggressive marketers and they took a lot of what would have been considered Ice Cats/Sharks Territory Google Maps. A triple a farm club of the redsox in Worcester will have almost all of the Central mass to draw from and they can market to fans in eastern and western mass.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The ahl in Worcester was hurt by the close proximity of the providence bruins. the p bruins are aggressive marketers and they took a lot of what would have been considered Ice Cats/Sharks Territory Google Maps. A triple a farm club of the RedSox in Worcester will have almost all of the Central mass to draw from and they can market to fans in eastern and western mass. The Worcester TV market would be bigger if they still counted the Leominster/Fitchburg area but i am pretty sure its now excluded from Worcester itself

The numbers I cited are the radio market numbers and Leominster/Fitchburg are part of the Worcester radio market. For TV Worcester County is considered to be Boston.

The old money families that controlled Worcester fiercely resisted change after WWII and that has affected the region to this day.

When television first started Worcester was allocated Channel 5 by the FCC and the Worcester Telegram/Gazette applied for and was granted a license and it would have been WTAG-TV. The studio was BUILT in Paxton and at the last minute, the newspaper mailed the license back to the FCC which then moved the allocation to Boston which today is WCVB.

The city also wanted no part of the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) when it was built in the mid-'50s and it took decades to fix when finally Exit 10A was built.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The numbers I cited are the radio market numbers and Leominster/Fitchburg are part of the Worcester radio market. For TV Worcester County is considered to be Boston.

The old money families that controlled Worcester fiercely resisted change after WWII and that has affected the region to this day.

When television first started Worcester was allocated Channel 5 by the FCC and the Worcester Telegram/Gazette applied for and was granted a license and it would have been WTAG-TV. The studio was BUILT in Paxton and at the last minute, the newspaper mailed the license back to the FCC which then moved the allocation to Boston which today is WCVB.

The city also wanted no part of the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) when it was built in the mid-'50s and it took decades to fix when finally Exit 10A was built.
The city is making strides in redevelopment the old mall minus half the parking garage and one redeveloped anchor store is gone Mercantile Center

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The city is making strides in redevelopment the old mall minus half the parking garage and one redeveloped anchor store is gone Mercantile Center

Oh, I firmly believe Worcester has fresh blood and wants to turn things around and the ballpark just might work.

Worcester won't be the smallest city in AAA, that would be Lawrenceville, Georgia (Gwinnett) which is 35 miles from Atlanta.

Worcester will do well out of the gate - but can they sustain it?

upload_2019-3-19_4-0-30.png

upload_2019-3-19_4-5-29.png

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
There are a lot of Yankees fans in RI and CT and this can be traced to when Italians embraced Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra, Phil Rizzuto and Billy Martin.
The EL And IL Yankees affiliates are so close to Philadelphia they should look at locations like Hartford if they ever where to change affiliates

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Already posted in the thread

McCoy Stadium's charm was and is a throwback to a simpler time. The neighborhood hasn't changed for decades and you could watch senior couples walking the track beyond right field. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't enjoy the McCoy experience while Mondor was alive.

But things changed when the Red Sox took over in 2015 - concession prices doubled and right out of the gate the Sox said they wanted to move to Providence. That angered just about everyone and they never recovered.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

McCoy Stadium's charm was and is a throwback to a simpler time. The neighborhood hasn't changed for decades and you could watch senior couples walking the track beyond right field. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't enjoy the McCoy experience while Mondor was alive.

But things changed when the Red Sox took over in 2015 - concession prices doubled and right out of the gate the Sox said they wanted to move to Providence. That angered just about everyone and they never recovered.
Sorry it originally said something else.It did not seem relevant to anything after reading it a few times so i just changed it to something generic

Reactions: Fenway

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Oh, I firmly believe Worcester has fresh blood and wants to turn things around and the ballpark just might work.

Worcester won't be the smallest city in AAA, that would be Lawrenceville, Georgia (Gwinnett) which is 35 miles from Atlanta.

Worcester will do well out of the gate - but can they sustain it?

View attachment 201707
View attachment 201709

those attendance numbers make me sick, and shows how much Lucchino did to tank the support in Pawtucket.

Under Mondor, they averaged 9k-10k every year like clockwork.

Pretty telling when under Lucchino, the attendance dropped while reigning Governers Cup Champs...

The list of failed sports teams in Worcester is long and storied (for a variety of reasons). I think they'll get 2 years of the "oooh, new thing" boost, but beyond that they'll feel the pain.

It's sad how they were handed a golden goose and blew it. In Pawtucket you had a pro sized market that had a long love affair with the team. It was a license to print money.

edit: Hopefully they dont put Mondor's name anywhere in the new stadium...the poor man has rolled over in his grave enough times as it is

Reactions: Fenway and Fenian24

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Trout on verge of signing a 12 year/430 million extension with Angels. Almost $36 million AAV.

I think the sweet spot for a Betts extension next offseason is 12/400. He won't make more money in endorsements than he most likely would in Boston, and the Red Sox cannot afford to cheap out here.

If they offer him something like that, and he turns it down? Trade him, since it's fairly obvious he has no intention of staying at that point.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Trout on verge of signing a 12 year/430 million extension with Angels. Almost $36 million AAV.

I think the sweet spot for a Betts extension next offseason is 12/400. He won't make more money in endorsements than he most likely would in Boston, and the Red Sox cannot afford to cheap out here.

If they offer him something like that, and he turns it down? Trade him, since it's fairly obvious he has no intention of staying at that point.
Betts will go to free agency in 2020 and leave Boston. I’m convinced of that more than ever after seeing that Trout extension

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
It's insane right? You put your 36mil per year into something safe and year one you get about 2.16mil just in interest.

I just can't even fathom that much money. Not to say that the NHL and NFL guys aren't making a good living, but their contracts are fathomable.

36 mil per YEAR for TWELVE YEARS? $430 million over the life of the contract? That is just bananas.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's insane right? You put your 36mil per year into something safe and year one you get about 2.16mil just in interest.

Trout is the #1 jersey in 2018, and top 3 every year. At $90 a pop

Not to mention the vast majority of the 37,200 fans per game last year were there for Trout at an average of $30 each.

Figure half are there because of Trout. that's $44,955,000 he generated in ticket revenue alone ($30 * 18,500 * 81)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Hi there! The place was a dump for so long. Refurbishing it was literally putting lipstick on a pig. Going to that place was a PITA and I went very infrequently because of all of that. I hated McCoy Stadium and didn't get why they wouldn't move years ago.

Worcester is simply a far easier drive for most MA based people. It's also easier and closer for those in NH, VT, CT, and ME should they want to do a road trip. With the way Kelly Square is changing (which predates the Sox coming there) there are plenty of other things to do in that direct area besides the game. With Pawtucket, it was go to the game and leave since it was near nothing else of interest.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
those attendance numbers make me sick, and shows how much Lucchino did to tank the support in Pawtucket.

Under Mondor, they averaged 9k-10k every year like clockwork.

Pretty telling when under Lucchino, the attendance dropped while reigning Governers Cup Champs...

The list of failed sports teams in Worcester is long and storied (for a variety of reasons). I think they'll get 2 years of the "oooh, new thing" boost, but beyond that they'll feel the pain.

It's sad how they were handed a golden goose and blew it. In Pawtucket you had a pro sized market that had a long love affair with the team. It was a license to print money.

edit: Hopefully they dont put Mondor's name anywhere in the new stadium...the poor man has rolled over in his grave enough times as it is
You have no idea what your talking about when it comes to Worcester’s teams.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I just can't even fathom that much money. Not to say that the NHL and NFL guys aren't making a good living, but their contracts are fathomable.

36 mil per YEAR for TWELVE YEARS? $430 million over the life of the contract? That is just bananas.

It is crazy. I thought he'd easily get $40 per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad