Red Sox/MLB 2019 Season Begins - Bogaerts Extended 7Y $132M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If the Sox ever decide to retire Clemens number I will make sure I am there to boo as loudly as I can.

**** that guy more than any other player ever.

He signed with Toronto for one simple reason - the PED's he was alleged to be using WERE LEGAL IN CANADA.

MLB didn't have a drug policy in place for much of his career and he never failed a test. He risked jail by fighting the charge of lying to Congress.

Will McDonough figured him out before anyone else did.

Reactions: Strafer

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He signed with Toronto for one simple reason - the PED's he was alleged to be using WERE LEGAL IN CANADA.

MLB didn't have a drug policy in place for much of his career and he never failed a test. He risked jail by fighting the charge of lying to Congress.

Yup, the Texas Conman. Best nickname ever.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Wait...what? You mean it wasnt because he was “closer to home” ?

Shit. Ive been flim flammed.

Reactions: Strafer and Fenway

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I get up at 5am every weekday, if I want to watch an 18 inning regular season game I stay up if not I go to bed, why add a stupid little league rule because some people arent smart enough to decide when to go to bed.

The problem IS NOT that "some people arent smart enough to decide when to go to bed". The problem is they ARE smart enough to go to bed. They're choosing sleep over watching games. It's a problem that MLB knows they need to address (speeding up games) and are attempting to do so. You can disagree with them that it's a problem, but they have teams of people who are employed solely to determine why people aren't watching the games, why they are losing the younger audience, etc. and this is what they've come up with.

bigfrank21

Chara spoons it!
Jul 13, 2007
CT

I had never heard about the Canada / PED angle before. The reason that I commonly heard was that Duquette didn't believe in Clemens' abilities ("...in the twilight of his career..."), and wasn't willing to offer the type of money that Toronto was - which just so happened to also be the richest pitcher salary in the MLB in 1997.

It's an argument that sits well in the court of public opinion: management doesn't believe in player, player follows the big money to a new team, player says "i'll show you" and proceeds to produce a dominant season (including a 16K outing in his return to Fenway, where he famously stared at the owners box while exiting the game to a standing ovation - FOR ROGER, IT'S RETURN TO SPLENDOR).

Knowing what we know now... the PED / Canada angle makes just about as much sense as the money angle... yikes.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wait...what? You mean it wasnt because he was “closer to home” ?

****. Ive been flim flammed.

Oh, I have Roger stories from back in Winter Haven.

But the lasting image in my brain of Roger happened after his last home start at Fenway in 1996.

Box Score of Game played on Saturday, September 28, 1996 at Fenway Park

After the game, he went over to Twins souvenir shop and was hawking an ungodly ugly lithograph that he would sign personally and it was roughly $150. Fans were lined up and down the block to get one and Roger was signing them and his wife had the cashbox and credit card machine.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I had never heard about the Canada / PED angle before. The reason that I commonly heard was that Duquette didn't believe in Clemens' abilities ("...in the twilight of his career..."), and wasn't willing to offer the type of money that Toronto was - which just so happened to also be the richest pitcher salary in the MLB in 1997.

It's an argument that sits well in the court of public opinion: management doesn't believe in player, player follows the big money to a new team, player says "i'll show you" and proceeds to produce a dominant season (including a 16K outing in his return to Fenway, where he famously stared at the owners box while exiting the game to a standing ovation - FOR ROGER, IT'S RETURN TO SPLENDOR).

Knowing what we know now... the PED / Canada angle makes just about as much sense as the money angle... yikes.

Roger took far less money to sign with Toronto than the Yankees. NYY was starting their dynasty and endorsements in New York would have been huge.

The fact that the steroids in question WERE LEGAL in Canada had to be part of the equation.

Steinbrenner's Money Can't Buy Clemens's Love

Roger Clemens surprisingly signed a three-year, $24.75 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays yesterday that left a stunned George Steinbrenner holding a $32 million paycheck and a city that revered and reproached the pitcher mourning his departure.

The deal made Clemens the highest-paid pitcher in baseball, forced the Yankees to focus more strongly on attempting to sign David Wells and maybe John Wetteland, and sent the public-relations scarred Boston Red Sox pondering life after Roger.

After Steinbrenner shockingly discovered that his bundles of money were not enough to persuade Clemens to relocate to the Bronx, no one could blame him for huffing and puffing his way through organizational meetings yesterday in Tampa, Fla. Because he snatched control of the negotiations and had visited Clemens at his home in Texas, Steinbrenner was poised to become the heroic Yankee owner who would usher the greatest Red Sox pitcher to the despised New York rivals. Instead, Steinbrenner was left marooned.

When he was asked Wednesday if he thought Clemens was using the Yankees to inflate his value, Steinbrenner said he did not know. But, after a prolonged dance, Clemens wound up accepting less money from the improving Blue Jays in selecting them over the World Series champion Yankees.

The Cleveland Indians ($28 million) bowed out late Thursday and the Red Sox ($22 million) were not serious players in retaining the 34-year-old right-hander, who reached the majors with Boston in 1984 and earned $5.5 million with a 10-13 record last season.

Reactions: bigfrank21

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Former Oriole & Hall Of Famer Frank Robinson Dies At 83

Robinson_Frank_Plaque_NBL.png

Reactions: rfournier103

bigfrank21

Chara spoons it!
Jul 13, 2007
CT
Roger took far less money to sign with Toronto than the Yankees. NYY was starting their dynasty and endorsements in New York would have been huge.

The fact that the steroids in question WERE LEGAL in Canada had to be part of the equation.

Steinbrenner's Money Can't Buy Clemens's Love

Roger Clemens surprisingly signed a three-year, $24.75 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays yesterday that left a stunned George Steinbrenner holding a $32 million paycheck and a city that revered and reproached the pitcher mourning his departure.

The deal made Clemens the highest-paid pitcher in baseball, forced the Yankees to focus more strongly on attempting to sign David Wells and maybe John Wetteland, and sent the public-relations scarred Boston Red Sox pondering life after Roger.

After Steinbrenner shockingly discovered that his bundles of money were not enough to persuade Clemens to relocate to the Bronx, no one could blame him for huffing and puffing his way through organizational meetings yesterday in Tampa, Fla. Because he snatched control of the negotiations and had visited Clemens at his home in Texas, Steinbrenner was poised to become the heroic Yankee owner who would usher the greatest Red Sox pitcher to the despised New York rivals. Instead, Steinbrenner was left marooned.

When he was asked Wednesday if he thought Clemens was using the Yankees to inflate his value, Steinbrenner said he did not know. But, after a prolonged dance, Clemens wound up accepting less money from the improving Blue Jays in selecting them over the World Series champion Yankees.

The Cleveland Indians ($28 million) bowed out late Thursday and the Red Sox ($22 million) were not serious players in retaining the 34-year-old right-hander, who reached the majors with Boston in 1984 and earned $5.5 million with a 10-13 record last season.

This is awesome context - thank you for digging it up and posting it.

As an aside - It is the little discussions like this that bring me back to this site day after day. I've never heard of this side of the story until today, and I was an unabashed Clemens fan across all the teams. This kind of insight really would not make it into my circle of friends and into our collective view. It makes me wonder just how many other scenarios unfolded differently behind the scenes as compared to the PR or perceived story as understood by the public at large.
Thanks again Fenway for this nugget - and for all the other great stories you and others on this board post that provide a new perspective.

Reactions: Fenway

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
JT Realmuto for Jorge Alfaro trade..... MIA/PHI
The Phils are going to be fun to watch. If they do land Harper in the end, they could do some serious damage.

The whole NL East outside of the Marlins should be good next year. The Mets and Phils bought big this offseason, and the Braves are returning the core of a young division-winner last year.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway has had the inning clock for 4 years now

Mayor2.jpg

The minors have had the pitch clock for the same amount of time

712106_941288-pitchclock0028.jpg

Reality is way too many Red Sox games at home are still going as the clock approaches 11 PM.

Game 3 of the World Series dictated something has to change.

161842677206-2-1540627055.jpg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Mayor2.jpg

Reality is way too many Red Sox games at home are still going as the clock approaches 11 PM.

Game 3 of the World Series was amazing. It was everything baseball should be. If they're looking at it (a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence) as something to CHANGE, the league needs to get its head out of its ass.

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Game 3 of the World Series was amazing. It was everything baseball should be. If they're looking at it (a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence) as something to CHANGE, the league needs to get its head out of its ass.

Game 3 was epic - luckily it was a Friday night

BUT - You can't have your marquee season event live at 3 AM in the East

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Mayor2.jpg

sorry, but adding in "speed up the game" measures because of game 3 is the definition of stupid.

It was an 18 inning game, what time do they expect a game that long to end?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Game 3 was epic - luckily it was a Friday night

BUT - You can't have your marquee season event live at 3 AM in the East

It went 18 innings. Even with added measures, its a game thats not finishing until 2AM EST

if theyre worried about games ending late for the East Coast, then they may as well just move all west coast teams east of the Mississippi

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It went 18 innings. Even with added measures, its a game thats not finishing until 2AM EST

if theyre worried about games ending late for the East Coast, then they may as well just move all west coast teams east of the Mississippi

The game went 4 innings longer than the second longest WS game (Chicago/Houston game 3, 2005), and that one started at 8:30 PM and went nearly 6 hours. Proportionally, the Sox/Dodgers game was quicker inning for inning (mostly thanks to Eovaldi's pace).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->