Blue Jays Discussion: So long Pillar, and thanks for all the catches

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Why is gaviglio still around. Guys utter trash

He is nothing more than a depth starter for me. 6th guy if needed and in a perfect world 8, 9 or 10th guy.

Before today he was pretty good. 14 innings pitched, 1.29 ERA, 15ks to 4 BBs, no HRs, and 4 hits. Though his OppQual was similar to facing AA hitters. Well today he got a MLB lineup and they crushed him for 3 HRs and 7 hits in 3 innings. Still had 5 Ks and 1 BB in 3 innings today... somewhat encouraging. Fine by me from our 6th or 7th starter who is likely going to finish the year much lower on depth chart unless he has an unexpected breakout.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
130M over 5 years for Goldy.

Good for Goldy, a year too long for me from a Cards perspective but understandable. Not an issue if the NL gets a DH before the end of the deal.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He is nothing more than a depth starter for me. 6th guy if needed and in a perfect world 8, 9 or 10th guy.

Before today he was pretty good. 14 innings pitched, 1.29 ERA, 15ks to 4 BBs, no HRs, and 4 hits. Though his OppQual was similar to facing AA hitters. Well today he got a MLB lineup and they crushed him for 3 HRs and 7 hits in 3 innings. Still had 5 Ks and 1 BB in 3 innings today... somewhat encouraging. Fine by me from our 6th or 7th starter who is likely going to finish the year much lower on depth chart unless he has an unexpected breakout.

Just as an add: This is pretty much what I meant when I said that calling Gaviglio "utter trash" wasn't true.

He's by no means an MLB regular, but he's not awful. Last year he had a crap ERA, but his peripherals all suggested he was much better than that and he was at 0.7 fWAR for 27 appearances. That basically makes him replacement-level/depth. As you say, he's fine as an injury call-up/shuttle guy from Buffalo. He's fine for a team with no real starter depth to run out there every 5 days if you don't want to rush a kid up. He isn't likely to be and shouldn't be in the rotation of this team once they start to contend. He's here to do a job and he's doing it just fine. Expecting more is foolish, but just the same calling him "utter trash" is petty and childish.

Then again, I never really understand Shaner's fan mentality anyway. For someone who will say that they're not that angry all the time, it always sure seems like he's liable to blow his top at the smallest little thing, or to look for things to be angry about even if it's undeserved.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I didnt see these from earlier;

Big opportunity could be coming for guys like Paulino, Luciano and Gaviglio. To me Norris and Axford arent real losses if they are our as they were minor league deals but the Tepera one can be bad. I thought with his mileage, years of control and cheap control he would have been one of our better trade chip over Pillar, Giles, Smoak etc. Stroman and Sanchez are the only ones above him imo.

Got to hope for Phelps to come back soon.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Jays may get Romano back right? They could try him out potentially?

At the very least, you are getting some more depth into the organization, and someone who could potentially step up later on in the year.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Groshans vid:

BA on Murphy:
Murphy has been seen in the past as a likely reliever because of his lack of a decent changeup. Over the second half of the season last year, Murphy began to find some feel and confidence in a changeup after settling on a new grip. That improvement has carried over to this spring. The last two of his eight strikeouts (among only 14 outs) came on his changeup, meaning he finished off strikeouts with all three of his pitches.

With Murphy’s blazing fastball and a curveball that he can both backdoor to hitters and use to attack hitters in the zone, Murphy only needs a solid-average changeup to keep hitters off balance. On Wednesday, his changeup was even better than that at times, as he showed plenty of deception and generated swings and misses.

“My changeup has gotten a lot better,” Murphy said. “Today was a good day (having) all three pitches.”

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm starting to think we're going to have to work out a deal with the Royals to keep Luciano. Maybe send Pompey + international money the other way?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm starting to think we're going to have to work out a deal with the Royals to keep Luciano. Maybe send Pompey + international money the other way?

Why not Travis and get some international money or another prospect in return (along with Luciano). Of course if the teams like it enough.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Bullpen might be ugly this year. Any decent free agents still out there?

Might be? Lol

I mean...is it worth it? The idea of the rule5 draft and stash is to get a prospect for next to nothing. That caliber of prospect, at that stage, could likely be acquired for one of the many veterans to be traded at the deadline this year.

I’d just send him back.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Another day and another major extension coming in.

Boston and Chris Sale agree on an extension

Expected to be more than 150M over 5 years.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He could be option. Still has to clear waivers first.

Of course, but the Rangers are not exactly expected to be a top team or anything. If he was not good enough for them, there is a good chance nobody wants him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->