Spring Football Leagues (USFL and XFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm guessing that the motivating factor for most if not all of those markets was getting a place to play. San Francisco was one of the XFL's best markets and they're not on the list either.

My guess though is that these are not the 8 markets that will open play in a year and a half. Someone's going to bail.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It depends what's announced on Wednesday. They could already have their facilities in order.

The Bay Area has about 100 places they could have played. I'm honestly shocked they chose Seattle instead.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
are they actually going to play football?

pretty sure the whole point of this league was to play the anthem and force everyone to stand

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Nope. No football. Every weekend will consist of 4 stadiums featuring:
- The Star Spangled Banner sing-a-long with everyone standing
- A live Trump rally that is streamed to the 3 other stadiums' jumbotrons
- A recitation the Pledge of Allegiance
- Halftime break in which American food and beverages is served exclusively
- Blue Collar Comedy stand-up sets
- Ain't I Right by Marty Robbins sing-a-long
- An Air Force flyover
- Concluding with God Bless America sing-a-long

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Possible leak of most the venues:
DC - Audi Field
NY - MetLife Stadium
St. Louis - Dome at America's Center
Tampa Bay -Raymond James Stadium

Dallas - Globe Life Park in Arlington
LA - StubHub Center
Seattle - CenturyLink Field

Houston unknown

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Have to say, MetLife Stadium and Globe Life seem like missteps.

MetLife will be cavernous. 20,000 people in a 80,000-seater is extremely lame on all fronts: for the players, the fans at the game, for the people watching at home, and the broadcasters.

Baseball parks are terrible for anything but baseball. I'm a bit shocked they didn't go with Gerald J. Ford Stadium (SMU) or Toyota Stadium (FC Dallas).

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, MetLife and Globe Life are odd to me too. Could be RBA wouldn't come to terms or Vince wanted a power move in NY (silly but it is Vince).

Seems like they going to convert Globe Life like Georgia State converted Turner Field. Not sure why they wanted to do that instead of playing at SMU or where FC Dallas plays, though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Surprised st some of the venue choices. Isn’t MetLife expensive? Thought they would have gone with Red Bull Arena.

Wrestlemania is going to be at MetLife, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was part of the deal, even though the XFL is only technically not affiliated with WWE.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah, MetLife and Globe Life are odd to me too. Could be RBA wouldn't come to terms or Vince wanted a power move in NY (silly but it is Vince).

Seems like they going to convert Globe Life like Georgia State converted Turner Field. Not sure why they wanted to do that instead of playing at SMU or where FC Dallas plays, though.
FC Dallas has attendance issue, I think location is the problem.

Sep 19, 2008
Was also curious that XFL was able to get their teams to play in MetLife, Stubhub, CenturyLink and Raymond James. Nice.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Damn, no Memphis Showboats.

Had to check which of the three homes the Breakers would be returning to. I actually think Portland would have been the best choice this time around.

Like that they are going with the retro USFL names. I liked the recent AAF branding for the most part, XFL's are so bland, the other extreme from the cheese of their original incarnation.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting that they’re focusing on some different markets than the XFL or AAF did. Including here in Philly.

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Reactions: John Price

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It has come to my attention that they are playing the entire season in one host city, which begs the question as to why they need to represent other cities

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad