SportVU (NBA analytics from video)

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
I recently read an article about the use of a player tracking system in the NBA. It got me to start thinking if this could be used or how it would be used in the NHL.

Here is basically what it does: Extremely expensive cameras (roughly $100,000 a year) track the ball, and every player on the floor by their number. It shows everything from how fast players are moving, to whether a pick was effective. It generates a ton of useable information.

It seems like this would be extremely beneficial to every NHL team. Seeing both your own, and opposing teams player tendencies would give those who could appropriately use the information a huge advantage. Where certain players score from most effectively, what kind of movement creates better chances on the PP, the best setup for the PK, etc.

So why isn't, or wouldn't this be used? Cost is the obvious negative, but the competitive advantage seems like it would be worth it. Is the game too fluid for it to measure anything significant? It seems like something that would be really beneficial for any team that used it.

Here's the original article:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ors-sportvu-cameras-nba-analytical-revolution

I would love to hear what you guys think.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Don't know how sophisticated it is, but I mentioned at the beginning of the year that the Sharks have a new video database where they can input Thornton - Datsyuk - Power Play and bring up all the times they were on the ice at the same time for power plays are review the videos. They didn't go into a lot of detail during the STH's meeting, but it sounded mighty powerful.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same system.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Don't know how sophisticated it is, but I mentioned at the beginning of the year that the Sharks have a new video database where they can input Thornton - Datsyuk - Power Play and bring up all the times they were on the ice at the same time for power plays are review the videos. They didn't go into a lot of detail during the STH's meeting, but it sounded mighty powerful.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same system.

I remember you saying something about that, but i was under the impression that that would pull up actual video of the play in question, where this sounds more like a statistical evaluation of said video. IE distance between players, rate of speed etc

Here's a video showing what i mean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad