Sportster's Vegas list: Likely Expansion Casualty

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Link is here: http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/drafting-the-las-vegas-golden-knights-roster-every-nhl-teams-most-likely-expansion-casualty/
Not actually agreeing with their list, just sharing in a more palatable format for discussion.

(not putting players in actual lines, just positionally where they would fit)

5 LW
Neal LW (Nashville)
Pouliot LW (Edmonton)
Hagelin LW (Pittsburgh)
McGinn LW (Arizona)
Drouin LW (TB)

7 C
Kruger C (Chicago)
Ryan Strome (NYI)
Brandon Pirri C (NYR)
Athanasiou C (Detroit)
Danault C (Montreal)
Holland C (Toronto)
Perreault C (Winnipeg)

6 RW
Silfverberg RW (Anaheim)
Stempniak RW (Carolina)
Weise RW (Philadelphia)
Yakupov RW (St. Louis)
Derek Dorsett RW (Vancouver)
Beagle RW (Washington)

8 D
J. Johnson D (Columbus)
Braun D (SJ)
Lovejoy D (NJ)
Scandella D (Minnesota)
Jokipakka D (Calgary)
C. Miller D (Boston)
McNabb D (LA)
Lindell D (Dallas)

4 G
Reimer G (Florida)
Driedger G (Ottawa)
Ullmark G (Buffalo)
Pickard G (Colorado)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Awful. Why the hell would Nashville protect Craig Smith and Colin Wilson instead of James Neal and Viktor Arvidsson? Smith's played like waiver fodder this year, he's been awful.

Don't think Ducks fans will be happy if they see this either.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Awful. Why the hell would Nashville protect Craig Smith and Colin Wilson instead of James Neal and Viktor Arvidsson? Smith's played like waiver fodder this year, he's been awful.

Don't think Ducks fans will be happy if they see this either.

I actually think it's quite funny when people put so much time and yet so little thought into these expansion draft projections. Just goes to show some people aren't exactly the experts they so often think they are.

Drouin exposed too? :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Last I checked we don't own Holland.

I was going to dump on some of the completely inexplicable players that would never be left unprotected...but really this is all that needs to be said about it. Peter Holland plays for the Arizona Coyotes.

He's not just property of the Arizona Coyotes, he played for them last night...as he has since early December.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
What seems evident to me with this list is how weak the available centers are. It is the shallowest part of the pool!

LV best bet is offer sheeting RFAs. Vancouver and Edmonton both have unsigned RFA centers worth considering.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
What seems evident to me with this list is how weak the available centers are. It is the shallowest part of the pool!

LV best bet is offer sheeting RFAs. Vancouver and Edmonton both have unsigned RFA centers worth considering.

I'd definitely not do that because you'll give up multiple first or second round picks in the process. Picks should be treated like gold to the Golden Knights. This draft has tons of center prospects in the top 5-7. Trade up and get two of them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

What better way to burn futures a new team desperately needs and enfuriate all the other GMs by sending out offer sheets.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Awful list.

I'll say for my team, 0% chance MTL protect Plekanec over Danault; Danault is younger, cheaper and simply a better player.

The Toronto pick alone shows how poorly of a list this is.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Driedger from Ottawa isn't that farfetched if Vegas isn't taking Phaneuf (assuming he waives for strategic reasons) or Ryan. But it is still very unlikely.

Wideman or Burrows would be the best skaters exposed in that case. Driedger will be waiver exempt for another two (?) seasons so they can get a possible future starting goalie who they don't have to worry about rushing. Not having to be put on waivers to be sent down really would increase his value. Vegas might have trouble finding goalies in Driedger's age range who they think have starting potential that won't be subject to waivers.

I would call it a very very darkhorse pick where numerous outside factors would have to take place for it to even happen. According to Bruce Garrioch (Sens beat writer) Vegas likes Chris Wideman who is a puck moving RD that could potentially quarterback their PP. Regardless what happens, Wideman will be exposed.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
Why would the Bruins expose Colin Miller when he's blossomed into a solid 2nd pairing defenseman with upside? And yet the author thinks that Jimmy fraking Hayes will be protected? That McQuaid will be protected?

LMFAO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad