Sportsnet's top 20 right wingers

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Nylander at 9 ahead of Gally and Laine, suuuure
Marner ahead of Laine Suuuure.
Pasta behind Stone and Vlad.... Yeah sure.
Kessel not on the list.
CRAIG ****ING SMITH ?

The only thing they got right is the top two.
So what are your arguments? Do you just look at points? Do you understand there is more to hockey than points?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Unfortunately for you, we're on HF where based on how Matthew's is treated as a player yet to hit 70 points yet, Gallagher doesn't get credit for being on pace for 60, he hasn't done it yet. Kadri was on pace for 75 points in his first full season, that was a one off as well like Gallagher's one off. Nylander is actually a terrific defensive player in the neutral zone, one of the best in takeaways and in zone entries as well. He needs to work more on his play in the Leafs end when they get hemmed in but he's also just 22, not the veteran that Gallagher is.

There seriously is no comparison here other than for you homer ass, Nylander is better than Gallagher.
44 primary point on the Habs.
47 on the Leafs.

I wonder why there's a comparison.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So what are your arguments? Do you just look at points? Do you understand there is more to hockey than points?
Yeah, there's more, like in the difference between Nylander and Gallagher, I can understand that.

But in the difference between Laine and Nylander ? No, I f***ing cannot.
The difference between Kessel and pretty much anyone else on this damn list also

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think people tend to get too hung up on the rankings instead of focusing on the numbers and write-up for each player, as well as the reasons why someone might be higher or lower. Berkshire even suggests some players may be over or underrated due to certain circumstances (a poor or spike season in the numbers, wingers valuing goalscorers over playmakers affecting Voracek, the Stars as a team being poor in transition under Hitch affecting Seguin, Laine and Ovechkin being gamebreakers making them more valuable than their numbers suggest, etc). I question some of the methodology behind the overall ranking in how things are weighted, but there's still value in the data that's used. If you don't take the rankings to heart, these are pretty interesting.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Because it's a double standard. If Matthews can be talked about not being a 70 point player, Gallagher can be talked about not being a 60 point player.

The thing is, what other people say has no bearing on whether or not his points are valid. It's just what about - ism.

Reactions: Mrb1p

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But it's not my double standard.

Youre basically accusing me of what someone (or in this case, a community.) has been doing.
I'm not trying to accuse you. It just so happened that you mentioned Gallagher being on pace for 60 points even though it's a number he has not reached yet. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy that it's the same thing Auston Matthews get criticism for since he has not yet reached 70 points and it's brought up to bash him. So it's not a personal attack against you.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not trying to accuse you. It just so happened that you mentioned Gallagher being on pace for 60 points even though it's a number he has not reached yet. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy that it's the same thing Auston Matthews get criticism for since he has not yet reached 70 points and it's brought up to bash him. So it's not a personal attack against you.
But it doesnt matter in this debate.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I don't think Winnipeg fans will be too upset, maybe extreme homers and the delusional Finnish people but the article is objective and does praise Laine for his ability to shoot. I think most objective fans agree that his game is one-dimensional right now but he's young and that can change. For example someone like Marner the article notes increased his defensive work in his own zone by a significant amount after his rookie year which just requires hard work. If young players like Nylander and even moreso Marner can be effective defensively there's a chance that Laine gets there one day.

I think it made great points about Gally and think his ranking is pretty accurate.

I too say things are objective when they fit my opinion

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, there's more, like in the difference between Nylander and Gallagher, I can understand that.

But in the difference between Laine and Nylander ? No, I ****ing cannot.
The difference between Kessel and pretty much anyone else on this damn list also

I would rather take Nylander than Laine in my team. And I am completely serious. Laine is very one dimensional. Yes he has very good shot and is a good passer but he is very bad in corner battles and sometimes seems lazy. Not engaged is maybe the right phrase I would use.

In order for Laine to be effective he needs optimal conditions. Like optimal center and winger to play with him. Finnish homer Laine fans are constantly bashing Little. It is because Laine is one dimensional and lacks the tools to battle loose pucks etc.

Nylander is a player who can make things happen himself. And he battles harder than Laine.

The difference is not that big obviously but I think that sportsnet list got that right.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would rather take Nylander than Laine in my team. And I am completely serious. Laine is very one dimensional. Yes he has very good shot and is a good passer but he is very bad in corner battles and sometimes seems lazy. Not engaged is maybe the right phrase I would use.

In order for Laine to be effective he needs optimal conditions. Like optimal center and winger to play with him. Finnish homer Laine fans are constantly bashing Little. It is because Laine is one dimensional and lacks the tools to battle loose pucks etc.

Nylander is a player who can make things happen himself. And he battles harder than Laine.

The difference is not that big obviously but I think that sportsnet list got that right.
Yeah, this is going to look good once Laine is inducted in the hall of fame for being the best goalscorer of his generation.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Tell that to a Finnish Laine fan. Go on, I dare you. ;)

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Leafs fans and Finnish fans calling out eachother

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Dam you all act like the GMs made this list. It’s only Sportsnet guys! They honestly have same knowledge on players just like some of us! Soo relax....

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Nylander sees this and realizes he is better than Laine he is going to want $10M per season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad