Sportsnet's top 20 right wingers

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't think Winnipeg fans will be too upset, maybe extreme homers and the delusional Finnish people but the article is objective and does praise Laine for his ability to shoot. I think most objective fans agree that his game is one-dimensional right now but he's young and that can change. For example someone like Marner the article notes increased his defensive work in his own zone by a significant amount after his rookie year which just requires hard work. If young players like Nylander and even moreso Marner can be effective defensively there's a chance that Laine gets there one day.

I think it made great points about Gally and think his ranking is pretty accurate.

I concur.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I will say his formula gets the top 6 guys pretty much correct...although I wouldn't have them in that order.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Man all of these lists are pretty bad - ovi being 9th best LW, Smith being on this list, not even getting into the C thing - I get that they are using 'stats' but the methodology used to put these together and the random % they set for for different stats to me doesn't pass the eye test.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

You replace my post in the LWers thread about Ovi with Laine and it’s be the same. Laine is a great goal scorer but his overall play leave a bit to be desired. Not that I don’t think he will round his game out because I have full confidence that he will.

Laine really needs to work on his defensive play

Tell that to a Finnish Laine fan. Go on, I dare you. ;)

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nylander at 9 ahead of Gally and Laine, suuuure
Marner ahead of Laine Suuuure.
Pasta behind Stone and Vlad.... Yeah sure.
Kessel not on the list.
CRAIG ****ING SMITH ?

The only thing they got right is the top two.
Nylander is better than Gallagher lmao wtf

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nylander is better than Gallagher lmao wtf
Yeah sure, he is.

More goals, five less points on a much, much worse team, while being better defensively, better at retrieving pucks, tougher, etc.

There's nothing Nylander is better at, maybe except looking good.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't care how you score 90 points. If you do you have to be top 20 at your position right? I mean come on..
The years Kessel was in Toronto and scored 80 and 82 points, on TSN's top 50 ranking they had him at #43 and #37. So this list is not the first time where he has been disrespected based on the number of points he scored in the previous season.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yeah sure, he is.

More goals, five less points on a much, much worse team, while being better defensively, better at retrieving pucks, tougher, etc.

Go make a poll then.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yeah sure, he is.

Gallagher hasn't even hit 60 points in his 6 seasons in the NHL, Nylander has in his first 2 seasons.

First 3 seasons:

Gallagher: .56 ppg
Nylander: .73 ppg

LMAO wrong as usual and BG also played on Habs teams that made the playoffs his first 3 years so it's not like he played on bad teams. Try harder next time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Go make a poll then.
So that every leafs fans can come in and vote ? Or so that every poster can just check at their DB and see that Nylander outproduced him two years in a row without context ?

Because you know this is what will happen, and, HF polls don't define my opinion.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Gallagher hasn't even hit 60 points in his 6 seasons in the NHL, Nylander has in his first 2 seasons.

First 3 seasons:

Gallagher: .56 ppg
Nylander: .73 ppg

LMAO wrong as usual and BG also played on Habs teams that made the playoffs his first 3 years so it's not like he played on bad teams. Try harder next time.
He was on pace for 60 in his 4th season, but why is 50ish not good enough ? Nylander does what exactly when he's not scoring those those five more points?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He was on pace for 60 in his 4th season, but why is 50ish not good enough ? Nylander does what exactly when he's not scoring those those five more points?
If other fans can use the excuse how Auston Matthews has not yet had a 70 point season, the same can be said about Gallagher not yet having a 60 point season.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
So would you rather have Kessel and Voracek or the higher ranked duo - Niederreiter and Eberle?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Unfortunately for you, we're on HF where based on how Matthew's is treated as a player yet to hit 70 points yet, Gallagher doesn't get credit for being on pace for 60, he hasn't done it yet. Kadri was on pace for 75 points in his first full season, that was a one off as well like Gallagher's one off. Nylander is actually a terrific defensive player in the neutral zone, one of the best in takeaways and in zone entries as well. He needs to work more on his play in the Leafs end when they get hemmed in but he's also just 22, not the veteran that Gallagher is.

There seriously is no comparison here other than for your homer ass, Nylander is better than Gallagher.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->