Sportsnet's top 20 defenseman

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
LMAOOO where are all the stat guys who have sworn forever how awful Cam Fowler is, this article uses advanced stats and he's 6th

You either have to finally admit he's good or your advanced stats are junk science

LMAO

In reality he’s somewhere between where he ranks on this list which is a highly questionable list and where all the hero chart lovers have him ranked.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Paul Byron is on pace for 80 + goals and 160+ points this year. He's also about as fast as McDavid. I won't go as far as to say he's a lock for the Art Ross and Rocket this year, but he certainly looks to be poised to make a run at both.

but as a Habs fan i don't like him. I know there were rumors about him to Tampa last year. TB fans you are in luck - we're feeling generous. We'll do Byron and the 13th best defenseman in the league, in exchange for the 12th best one.

Reactions: The Macho Man

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
@DominicBoltsFan This list was compiled using advanced stats. Where is Hamilton? Why is Hedman only at 12?
Berkshire more of a microstat dude, lately I’ve been straying away from those. Also I’m not convinced he used a good QoT model since Hedman’s partner Dotchin looked fine overall for the season but bad without Hedman statistically. He also doesn’t really release how he weights this info or who tracks it for him to use.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Like for example Fowler, I’m not a big fan of his game. Pretty mediocre possession numbers. Granted he does play pretty tough mins but he’s more of a #3 dude imo.

Reactions: joe dirte

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Why bother posting that article to just embarrass himself?

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
These three comments stuck out the most to me regarding the Norris winner.

He was still arguably the top power play defenceman in the league, but that play didn’t translate into goals as often as it had in the past

....but Hedman led defensemen in even strength goals too

Transition has always been Hedman’s weakest area

I'd like to know how he weighted these stats, Hedman is one of the best defenders in the league transitioning the puck

he should not have even been nominated for the Norris

Top 3 D in points, #6 overall in +/-, and by his own volition perhaps the top PP defenseman in the league didn't deserve a Norris nomination. Ha, ok

I think it's safe to conclude this article was intentionally made to stir controversy with fans.

Reactions: Paul4587

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd like to know how he weighted these stats, Hedman is one of the best defenders in the league transitioning the puck

I think this part in particular highlights what the result is when "math people" try to interpret a bunch of stats to conclude what they imply.

If your "math equation" results in a conclusion that Hedman has always struggled with transitioning the puck, then it's probably time to re-evaluate how accurate that equation is at calculating how good a player is at transition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad