Sportsnet's top 20 defenseman

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Petry at 13, Hedman at 12?

Not a good list. As much as I love Giordano in the top 5 I have him borderline top 10.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Petry isn't a top 15 D in the league, but its nice to see him get some love. He's a great #2.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'd take Provorov over half these guys. Cam Fowler a top 10 defenseman? Petry better than Werenski?

The only thing "definitive" about this list is that it's definitely trying too hard.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Lol Burns nowhere to be found but Petry at #13 lmao.
I found him. Right in between #6 and #8, as it so happens.

As has been mentioned, y’all need to recognize that this is a list purely based off of stats, no opinion involved. These lists excellently demonstrate how advanced stats can be very useful (i.e. all of the players one would think are at the top are right around there) but that they should not ever be utilized on their own (i.e. positionings of Fowler and Petry).

Reactions: The Dallas Jims

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's based on three seasons yet it includes Werenski who only has two years of professional experience. That's a good indicator that the assumptions in this list are flawed if such an obvious point of bias has been glossed over.

Petry and Fowler are out of place on this list, especially the latter being above Lindholm.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm actually relieved there are no Toronto D in the top 20 so I don't have to read page after page of supposed Toronto biased media. Now will people accept that the other rankings (Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander) were reasonable, unbiased and based on stats? Probably not, worth a shot though.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So, Cam Fowler...

@Sojourn

:laugh:

Yeah, no. He doesn't belong at 6th.

I could probably get more detailed about why I feel that way, but the summary is that I don't think this is a good list, and Fowler is one of the guys on it who probably stands out in the wrong way.

I absolutely agree he does a lot of things right, especially with the way he can distribute the puck and skate it, but I can't justify this ranking. This is too far in the other direction for me. At least, at this point in time.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
:laugh:

Yeah, no. He doesn't belong at 6th.

I could probably get more detailed about why I feel that way, but the summary is that I don't think this is a good list, and Fowler is one of the guys on it who probably stands out in the wrong way.

I absolutely agree he does a lot of things right, especially with the way he can distribute the puck and skate it, but I can't justify this ranking. This is too far in the other direction for me. At least, at this point in time.
Yeah, I don't agree with everything on it either. Some of the measures are slightly subjective.

But it has some value, and I will concede that's he's obviously a better player than I thought.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
This list is extremely bad as well. Morgan Reilly and John Carlson should both be top 40 (if not top 20)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad