Sportsnet's Garrett tees off on WJHC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Gros Bill

Aug 3, 2005
From Sportsnet.ca...

"Until the world junior tournament can reduce the glaring talent gap between competitors, it will remain a second-tier event.

Every year at this time we are bombarded with world junior hype. The annual event is sold as one of the biggest sporting events of the year; and every year I cringe at the thought of the poor teams who are thrown to the wolves to make this a viable project.

Now don't get me wrong, I support any competition where the best players at any age go head-to-head while having the chance to represent their respective countries; but there has to be a way this can be done without embarrassing the also-ran countries and players who belong in a D pool.

My good friend Mark Morrison is just starting to play hockey and is enjoys it immensely. His team is divided into three sets of five players, and rated according to skill level. The top line on his team plays against the top line on the opposing team, and so on and so on. This format keeps the competition relatively even, and allows players to develop their own skills alongside those skating on the same learning curve. Mark is six-years-old. Does it make any difference whether the players are 6 or 16?

The world junior tournament is not the Olympics. It is also not the World Championships or even the Spengler Cup. These are not pros. These are kids, or if you would prefer young men. I like the term adolescents. These teenagers are showcased in the same way as the pros. When they should be having fun and playing hockey for the pure enjoyment of the game, they are being thrown into "battle" and berated if they do not act like "warriors". They are sold as being the best teams in the world, when realistically, half of the invitees can hardly compete. As I write this article, Norway (0-4) has been outscored 26-3. Latvia (0-4) has been outscored 25-8. I wonder if the players on these teams feel like they are among the best in the world? I wonder if they are learning a lot and this experience will help their games and their self-esteem?

To reiterate, I have nothing against healthy competition among countries of equal calibre. But how? To start, the junior spectacle should be hosted in the fall or spring, after or before the grueling schedules these 'adolescents' already have to play away from international duty. It would be better for the players and better for their junior or college teams. But I forgot ... it would not sell.

The delightful John Garrett is a fixture on the Sportsnet hockey panel. Watch for his columns every week on Sportsnet.ca."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder if he would say the same thing if the games were drawing big numbers on SPORTSNET instead of TSN...

Last edited:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
beliveau said:
From Sportsnet.ca...

"Until the world junior tournament can reduce the glaring talent gap between competitors, it will remain a second-tier event.

Every year at this time we are bombarded with world junior hype. The annual event is sold as one of the biggest sporting events of the year; and every year I cringe at the thought of the poor teams who are thrown to the wolves to make this a viable project.

Now don't get me wrong, I support any competition where the best players at any age go head-to-head while having the chance to represent their respective countries; but there has to be a way this can be done without embarrassing the also-ran countries and players who belong in a D pool.

My good friend Mark Morrison is just starting to play hockey and is enjoys it immensely. His team is divided into three sets of five players, and rated according to skill level. The top line on his team plays against the top line on the opposing team, and so on and so on. This format keeps the competition relatively even, and allows players to develop their own skills alongside those skating on the same learning curve. Mark is six-years-old. Does it make any difference whether the players are 6 or 16?

The world junior tournament is not the Olympics. It is also not the World Championships or even the Spengler Cup. These are not pros. These are kids, or if you would prefer young men. I like the term adolescents. These teenagers are showcased in the same way as the pros. When they should be having fun and playing hockey for the pure enjoyment of the game, they are being thrown into "battle" and berated if they do not act like "warriors". They are sold as being the best teams in the world, when realistically, half of the invitees can hardly compete. As I write this article, Norway (0-4) has been outscored 26-3. Latvia (0-4) has been outscored 25-8. I wonder if the players on these teams feel like they are among the best in the world? I wonder if they are learning a lot and this experience will help their games and their self-esteem?

To reiterate, I have nothing against healthy competition among countries of equal calibre. But how? To start, the junior spectacle should be hosted in the fall or spring, after or before the grueling schedules these 'adolescents' already have to play away from international duty. It would be better for the players and better for their junior or college teams. But I forgot ... it would not sell.

The delightful John Garrett is a fixture on the Sportsnet hockey panel. Watch for his columns every week on Sportsnet.ca."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder if he would say the same thing if the games were drawing big numbers on SPORTSNET instead of TSN...
That means he must think that Americans are stupid to put so much stock on College sport...

Simply a stupid and useless writter. This is exaclty why we love it so much, they are not pros and they play for their country and love of the game.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Whatever John Garrett is a tool, tell me something John NAME me ONE HOCKEY TOURNEY that doesn't have some teams rolled in it - Under 18's - nope, under 20's - well obviously not if your crying about it, Olympics - nope, World Championships - nope Deutschland Cup, Spengler Cup, Womens Championship - same answer. Give your useless head a shake, this is part of the competition, are you saying that somehow magically that pain of being rolled disappears when you turn 18,19, or 20 or if you graduate from the World Jrs to the Olympics. The was the tournament is set up is if a team really gets it handed to them they are relagated back down to div two, just like soccer so I ask you the same question how does rolling those teams help a budding star in say Latvia to develop ? as well what about what the Swiss did this year, are you telling me because of their showing that these players are not better for it and the sport of hockey in that country is not better because of them, oh but that is right, if the world listened to you they would have not got that chance.

What I am surprised about his comments is the fact that he did not find a way to tie in the "I almost won the all star game MVP before Gretzky pumped 5 by me in the third" story

Le Gros Bill

Aug 3, 2005
These 'kids' are now smarter and more aware of their surroundings than the generations before them. Most of these 'kids' have already been drafted and actually have a focus...to do the best they can to make it to the NHL. They are the cream of the crop and know full well that the pros are closer for them than for any other 'kids' who wish to make it. These kids aren't stupid...they know what's expected of them going in. If they didn't, they wouldn't be on their teams...

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
It is more credible than the U17 and U18 though, as those tournaments are ALL politics.

I think the point he's making though is that we're making a spectacle and treating these kids like Olympic athletes when in reality they mostly havn't even got out of highschool yet

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
Yes they are kids, but I am here to tell you those kids love every minute being in a tournament like this. They understand coming from a country like Norway or Latvia that they arent going to challenge for the Gold. As a hockey player just the experience of playing in a tournament like this would be the opportunity of a lifetime.

I would also like to add that when you play against players that are better then you, you will try your hardest to improve your game up to the level of your opponent. These types of experiences will help them in the long run I think.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
All of these guys are old enough to kill and die for their countries. What is his major beef exacly, that some players may get their feelings hurt if they get blown out? Boo-hoo.

The WJC are consistently thoroughly entertaining. Yes, some years there are only 2 or 3 good squads and too few good games, but most years there are 5-6 very competitive teams, and the finals rarely dissapoint. Everyone's better for the experience.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
First, it is not half as bad as WCs with what 16 teams?

Second, these are juniors playing and being juniors they can be wildly inconcistent, good on paper teams fail way more often than in other tournaments. Russia and Canada are almost always very good, but otherwise age groups vary, todays powerhouse will be tomorrow's underdog. What I am trying to say is that it is not obvious that say Swiss will loose always, they actually won a medal which is something no country outside top seven has done in WCs or Olympics for decades. I honestly believe that given a talented age group, good coaching, and good luck Switzerland, Germany, or one of the other smaller hockey nations might win it all.

Phanuthier*

I love the WJC's simply because you see alot of passion (even in the Olympics you don't see), pride, and you see talent come above systems. In the pro's, everything is too perfect... no mistakes, no gambling, just good sound hockey - which is great, but its vanilla. In the pro's, you wouldn't see what we get to see from Andrew Cogliano.

John Garatt probably doesn't like that. I believe Garatt was a former goalie, so probably a tactical perfectionist, which you won't see much from the WJC (although we are getting it from this year's Team Canada). Garatt has a point IMO, but he doesn't speak for everyone, and its arrogant for him to think he does.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Phanuthier said:
I love the WJC's simply because you see alot of passion

Like I said in another thread, the WJC is hockey's equivalent to the NCAA's Final Four

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
IMO it should be a 8 team tournament instead of 10 team. Other then that i don't see a problem with the competition level in the tournament.

I mean the swiss lost to canada by one and tied the americans. Thats some serious beating for a second teir team. Finland didn't get exactly blown out either.

I think Garrett is bitter because TSN got the rights for additional 7 years today and he won't be getting to do this tournament

The timing is absolutely perfect. It gives these kids the spotlight during the dog days of december in the NHL. you put it at the end of the season and these guys wouldn't get any coverage at all because of NHL playoffs and world championships.

In summary, Garrett is a moron who should be canned.

Jazz

Danny__K said:
IMO it should be a 8 team tournament instead of 10 team. Other then that i don't see a problem with the competition level in the tournament.....
So under your proposal, 2 top-flight teams will get knocked down to Div I (B-pool) every other year, and in the 1 year in between you will have 6 nations + 2 2nd tier nations in the elite group, and 2 of the top-8 in the B-pool.

That makes no sense....

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO the WJC is an over rated way to look at prospects but its still a great tournament. This guy's just bashing so he can shock and get his name on everyones lips.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Rob said:
Yeah, I'm sure Canada v.s Italy at the Olympics this year will be a very competitive matchup.
If the IIHF had its way, Italy wouldn't be in the tournament. They're only there because they are hosting the Olympics.

Anyways, I didn't agree with his point about Latvia. The same thing could've been said about Switzerland 20 years ago, but now the Swiss are good enough to Tie the US, lose by 1 goal to Canada, and even get the Bronze a few years ago.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I wanted to post this last night but part of me just did not want this idiot recognized. Wouldn't he love to be in the middle of this tourney, he's pissed because he's back in the control center playing rubby paw with Bill Watters and Kypreos.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Wow, in case anyone here wasn't aware, John Garrett has been a tool for many years. I remember him being a tool on CBC and he fits in great with Watters and Kypreos (who also happen to be tools).

Granted, his opinion is his own, but he doesn't actually propose any way to actually IMPROVE the tournament. He just whines and complains and doesn't offer any actual analysis.

I'm afraid that certain countries dominate certain sports and this is fairly common. People get destroyed in olympic bobsled, cross-country skiing, weightlifting etc. Its just the way it is.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
jcpenny said:
...they are not pros and they play for their country and love of the game.
Precisely!
}:)>
But the reason that college football and basketball are shown on TV is because they are usually a direct stepping stone to the professional level in the US. Most of the recruiting in these sports are done at the college level. Even when they show high-school football and basketball, they are showcasing the talents of some of the kids who will go on to college sports (except for LeBron James, who went pro right out of high school).
I am not sure as to the numbers of recruits at the pro level from collegiate sports like hockey or baseball. The only time these are on ESPN is during the Frozen Four (and we're lucky we get that) or the College World Series.
Honestly, to me the best part about the Rose Bowl tonight is it means that there will be no more college football for a few months.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Yeah, I could see Garrett getting along with a 6-year-old quite well. So much in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad