Rumor: Sportsnet's Chris Johnston Thornton and Leafs have mutual interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
home·town
/ˈhōmˌtoun/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. the town of one's birth or early life or of one's present fixed residence.
Hes not from Toronto. Doesnt matter if there are f***in Leaf fans in this area. What does that have to do with anything? I get it. You want to own every single player that was born in Ontario....."hes coming home" lol....ok
I can get call calling Toronto one's "home town" or "home town team".

Similar to someone from Oshawa calling Toronto "one's home town team".

I can understand this, if it wasn't for the fact that Detroit is closer than Toronto.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Been to Port Stanley many times. It is Leafs country in that area and saying he is coming home to Toronto isn't far fetched. Southern Ontario is Southern Ontario.
Maybe where you went.

I have a friend who went to Western university in London and he says there were more Red Wings fans than any other team.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Been to Port Stanley many times. It is Leafs country in that area and saying he is coming home to Toronto isn't far fetched. Southern Ontario is Southern Ontario.

Port Stanley is excellent. Joe has a boat there. For the sake of Argument then, if i said to someone from Toronto that Drake is coming home to London, would they accept that as true?

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
And by a fair bit too.

Not really. It actually pretty much dead center between the two. People think you hit London and Windsor/Detroit is right around the corner West as Woodstock is to the East. No Windsor is almost 2 hours from London. Same as Toronto. St. Thomas is beside London.

Reactions: Budz

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Port Stanley is excellent. Joe has a boat there. For the sake of Argument then, if i said to someone from Toronto that Drake is coming home to London, would they accept that as true?

I'd say locally no, but internationally yes. It's a matter of perspective. Someone from Scarborough isn't going to say I'm from Toronto to someone in the GTA. They're gonna say I'm from Scarborough. I bet the vast majority of people from Guelph, London, Barrie, Peterborough etc say I'm from near Toronto when explaining where they are from when travelling abroad. In fact i do it and so do all my friends and wife.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I'd say locally no, but internationally yes. It's a matter of perspective. Someone from Scarborough isn't going to say I'm from Toronto to someone in the GTA. They're gonna say I'm from Scarborough. I bet the vast majority of people from Guelph, London, Barrie, Peterborough etc say I'm from near Toronto when explaining where they are from when travelling abroad. In fact i do it and so do all my friends and wife.

Right but that example isnt the same thing. Thornton IS local in terms of Province and not international. But he was born almost 3 hours away from where people are pretending he is from. If i said Drake is from my hometown and not Toronto because its all relative, they would think i was ridiculous. It is the exact same principle. Thanks for the discussion sir. I am off to have a beer. Cheers.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I don't understand what the Leafs are doing.
That is exactly why we are not in the NHL as general managers or other bigger roles of chairmen sire. That is why I am only a investor in the maple leafs organization, paying so much money to a lot of human beings. Invest hard, has always been my motto sire. But yeah, these guys know they are building and giving for the fans sire. If you can't win at times, then you lose. But you gots to lose entertaining and hard at the same time. That's the key in life and I LOVE IT :heart:

Reactions: al secord

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Just leaving this here. With Seguin more than likely starting the year injured Stars would 100% have a role for Thornton to play at Center.

Seems more of a fit than he would be in Toronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz and hmc1987

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs might add Joe Thornton to Eric Lindros, Brian Leetch and Ron Francis in the Pantheon of HHOFers that played for the Leafs while the sun went down?

Not my cup of tea. I didn't think Shanny and Dubas would go for that kind of thing.

I just don't see the value of it.

Reactions: Westlander

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
The Leafs might add Joe Thornton to Eric Lindros, Brian Leetch and Ron Francis in the Pantheon of HHOFers that played for the Leafs while the sun went down?

Not my cup of tea. I didn't think Shanny and Dubas would go for that kind of thing.

I just don't see the value of it.

Ron Francis is the first one I thought of with these Thornton rumours. It was fine in those days, and if there were still no cap, I'd say why not, the more the merrier. Or if we didn't already have Spezza. I also don't see how it makes sense now.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Been to Western many times as well. Again Leafs country. Know a fair amount of Londoners. Again mostly Leafs fans.

I spent my early childhood between London and Chatham, and while Wings fans were very visible, it was still mostly Leafs.

I think the 'hometown' label in the Toronto/Ontario context isn't meant to be taken literally, it's almost a Southern Ontario cultural thing. It's a bit like a player from anywhere in Quebec being treated as hometown in Montreal. Even if you're well south of London, you can still feel as if you're in Toronto's orbit. Detroit doesn't feel like it's 'ours' the way Toronto does, an international border does after all make a difference. Though I can imagine in Windsor people don't see it that way since Detroit is right there.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Right but that example isnt the same thing. Thornton IS local in terms of Province and not international. But he was born almost 3 hours away from where people are pretending he is from. If i said Drake is from my hometown and not Toronto because its all relative, they would think i was ridiculous. It is the exact same principle. Thanks for the discussion sir. I am off to have a beer. Cheers.
St Thomas seems to be getting further and further from TO every time I visit this thread.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
St Thomas seems to be getting further and further from TO every time I visit this thread.

I was just thinking that. I was puzzled to see someone say St. Thomas was closer to Detroit "by a fair margin" when I thought it was literally in the middle in terms of proximity to Detroit and Toronto. I feel like if two cars left St. Thomas at the same time one headed to Toronto and the other to Detroit they would arrive at their destinations at the exact same time.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I was just thinking that. I was puzzled to see someone say St. Thomas was closer to Detroit "by a fair margin" when I thought it was literally in the middle in terms of proximity to Detroit and Toronto. I feel like if two cars left St. Thomas at the same time one headed to Toronto and the other to Detroit they would arrive at their destinations at the exact same time.
Yup, both trips take about 2 hours. I live in Windsor and travel between Windsor/Hamilton monthly (passing by St Thomas each time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad