Sportsnet report on ticket price plans for all 30 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=h070504A

For anyone needing help with translating the Colorado response:

Colorado "We're waiting to see what the exact terms of the CBA are before we make a decision on that. But we will definitely do what's fair for our fans." - club spokesman.
Translation: "We've never reduced prices, we've only raised them, and in spite of the fact that few--if any--teams have as high a true average ticket price as we do, it's hard to imagine why we would lower them now."

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
Colorado's ticket prices aren't bad at all I would think. My season tickets are $58 a seat in the front row of the third bowl. I've been to games in L.A., New York and St. Louis that were much more expensive than that in comparable seating.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
HeidiHalter said:
I've been to games in L.A., New York and St. Louis that were much more expensive than that in comparable seating.

I am shocked NYR prices are going down 10%. They did give us 10% off season tickets since they didn't make the playoffs (it was a promise) but all tickets, thats big. The Rangers have averaged 18,000+ a game ever since the data has been recorded. MSG holds 19,000. So they are kind of going out of there way, surprising IMO.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
HeidiHalter said:
Colorado's ticket prices aren't bad at all I would think. My season tickets are $58 a seat in the front row of the third bowl. I've been to games in L.A., New York and St. Louis that were much more expensive than that in comparable seating.
I assume you're referring to the section labeled "Upper Center Balcony" (the red section) on this seating chart?

http://coloradoavalanche.com/tickets/TicketingInformation.asp

That's the closest price to what you are quoting, and that puts you in the upper portion of the uppermost level in the building. You might want to check the websites of the rest of the teams in the league, including the three you mention above, before assuming that the same seats in those buildings are "much more expensive" (and not in fact less expensive) than those same seats at Pepsi Center.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Weary said:
Can you afford those prices? That's all Bettman promised.

All Bettman promised to achieve from this lockout was affordable ticket prices?

He's going to set the market in all thirty cities?

I did not know this.

I thought he was trying to achieve cost certainty in order to keep all thirty teams alive going forward in the medium to longterm future.

My bad.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
HeidiHalter said:

Holy smokes, we do have it good here! Your seat in Tampa for full season tix would be $36.50 per game (not sure of walk-up price).

My seat, which is in the lower level, behind the goal the Bolts attack twice, in the 5th row off the ice, is $53.60 per game (walk-up, I believe, is $75).

OK, I won't complain (too much) if they don't lower our prices!

As an aside, what "perks" is everyone getting for not canceling their season tix? Here, if you paid in full for 2004-2005 and left 100% of your money with the team, (among other things) you earn 10% interest on your $$, payable in "Palace Bucks" which can be used at concessions or souvenir shops (if you eat your dinner at the arena as I do, that's a pretty nice perk), they donate the equivalent of 2% of your balance to charity (you can choose which one) and we're also getting a display replica of the team's championship ring (I saw one and it's nice.)

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
I'm not going on what a website says, I'm going on what I have paid. And I pay less for my seats in Denver than I have in New York, L.A. or St. Louis in comparable seats. I didn't say the exact same seat, I just said comparable. I simply didn't think that Colorado's ticket prices were that high, perhaps they are by other standards. I haven't been to every arena and really don't care to find out each and every arena's ticket prices, I just didn't think $58 a seat was all that bad especially considering what I pay for Bronco's tickets.

X0ssbar

So if I interpret this article correctly:

Teams...

Reducing Ticket Prices: 11 Teams

Not Reducing Prices: 6 Teams

To Be Determined: 13 Teams

So right now just over 1/3rd of the league plans on reducing ticket prices. I would imagine that at least half of the 13 TBD teams will also reduce prices. So that total would be 17 to 18 teams to reduce pricing.

Furthermore no teams said they were going to raise prices.

So for those who said that this CBA will not have a direct impact on ticket pricing *cough* Spector *cough* I will have to disagree. Multiple team statements in this article directly link the outcome of the CBA to what their actions will be in regards to ticket pricing.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
HeidiHalter said:
I'm not going on what a website says, I'm going on what I have paid. And I pay less for my seats in Denver than I have in New York, L.A. or St. Louis in comparable seats. I didn't say the exact same seat, I just said comparable. I simply didn't think that Colorado's ticket prices were that high, perhaps they are by other standards. I haven't been to every arena and really don't care to find out each and every arena's ticket prices, I just didn't think $58 a seat was all that bad especially considering what I pay for Bronco's tickets.
They are high. Among the very highest. I'm not sure what variables are involved in the discrepancy you're recalling from past purchases, but a simple comparison of published season ticket prices between teams allows us to compare apples to apples, and it's quite clear just how high they are here. I'm not saying you can't be happy with them... more power to you if you are. I'm just pointing out how they truly compare based on actual team-by-team prices.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
New York Rangers: Across-the-board reduction of 10 per cent from 2003-2004 prices.

just to note this 10% reduction has NOTHING to do with the lockout. back in jan 03 when sather stepped down as head coach, dolan guaranteed that the rangers would make the playoffs or ticket prices would be reduced the following year by 10%. so this is just making good on that promise...

and it also isn't 'across the board' as it only applies to season ticket holder. last year when prices came out for the 04-05 season, season ticket holders got the discount but single game tickets remained the same.

i'm not sure about all the teams but a few teams in that article mentioned that the teams made the decision before the 04-05 season to reduce prices. well that tells me that the reduction has NOTHING to do with the lockout and trying to get fans back and it is purely a coincedence that they lowered prices due to low attendance or the team being bad (or both) right BEFORE the lockout.

and i think it is a joke that those teams including my rangers are trying to pass off those discounts like they are doing me some kind of favor to thank me for sitting thru the last year of bullcrap and deciding to still come back...that 10% at msg was already there, so if they don't give me anything on top of that then they are giving me nothing for sitting thru the lockout, i don't care how they try to spin it.

and i love how for 12 months we heard owners and league officials spew bs about how ticket prices would be made more affordable if there was a cap...it was a load of crap the whole time intended only to get fan support on their side. but where are those reductions now? the big market teams will save $30+ mil on salaries, so how did that make my tickets cheaper?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Top Shelf said:

Teams...

So right now just over 1/3rd of the league plans on reducing ticket prices. I would imagine that at least half of the 13 TBD teams will also reduce prices. So that total would be 17 to 18 teams to reduce pricing.

So for those who said that this CBA will not have a direct impact on ticket pricing *cough* Spector *cough* I will have to disagree. Multiple team statements in this article directly link the outcome of the CBA to what their actions will be in regards to ticket pricing.

They're reducing prices becuase they have to rebuild (or build) their markets. They will charge what people are willing to pay. It has nothing to do with the CBA.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Top Shelf said:

Teams...

those numbers are very misleading though because of the 11 teams 'reducing' prices the rangers, panthers, penguins and capitals reduced priced BEFORE the lockout. unless they offer additional reductions those teams are NOT lowering ticket prices because they are trying to win fans back or because having a salary cap allows them to have more affordable prices.

those 4 teams lowered prices because the teams are bad, attendance was down and in the rangers case they made a stupid guarantee...the fact that they just happened to make these decisions right before the lockout is irrelevant because these reductions would have apply to 04-05 even if the season started on time and there was no lockout.

so only 7 teams are reducing prices due to the lockout so far (assuming that others don't fit into the same category as the above 4)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
1) I am very happy with how ticket prices have been handled here. It showed an outreach and caring about the fans (every seat will be reduced).

2) That said, was this really about ticket prices for all of you? That was icing to me on a pretty fine cake that consisted of an NHL where year in year out I feel that my team has a chance if they are managed properly. I also know that my team can be buyers as well as sellers, every team can. So even if ticket prices had remained the same I would be just fine with what has happened. It was not about ticket prices for me. For how many of you was it the defining factor?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
NYR469 said:
just to note this 10% reduction has NOTHING to do with the lockout. back in jan 03 when sather stepped down as head coach, dolan guaranteed that the rangers would make the playoffs or ticket prices would be reduced the following year by 10%. so this is just making good on that promise...

and it also isn't 'across the board' as it only applies to season ticket holder. last year when prices came out for the 04-05 season, season ticket holders got the discount but single game tickets remained the same.

i'm not sure about all the teams but a few teams in that article mentioned that the teams made the decision before the 04-05 season to reduce prices. well that tells me that the reduction has NOTHING to do with the lockout and trying to get fans back and it is purely a coincedence that they lowered prices due to low attendance or the team being bad (or both) right BEFORE the lockout.

and i think it is a joke that those teams including my rangers are trying to pass off those discounts like they are doing me some kind of favor to thank me for sitting thru the last year of bullcrap and deciding to still come back...that 10% at msg was already there, so if they don't give me anything on top of that then they are giving me nothing for sitting thru the lockout, i don't care how they try to spin it.

and i love how for 12 months we heard owners and league officials spew bs about how ticket prices would be made more affordable if there was a cap...it was a load of crap the whole time intended only to get fan support on their side. but where are those reductions now? the big market teams will save $30+ mil on salaries, so how did that make my tickets cheaper?

are you sure it's just season tickets? it does say across the board but that can be interpreted different ways

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
They are high. Among the very highest. I'm not sure what variables are involved in the discrepancy you're recalling from past purchases, but a simple comparison of published season ticket prices between teams allows us to compare apples to apples, and it's quite clear just how high they are here. I'm not saying you can't be happy with them... more power to you if you are. I'm just pointing out how they truly compare based on actual team-by-team prices.
You're probably right. It's not a big deal, I just assumed from those other arena's that Colorado's were pretty on par. I've never thought they were unreasonable.

And Jaded-Fan, you asked if ticket prices were a deciding factor. The answer is no for me. Not remotely. Even if they raised prices I still would have kept my season tickets. Mainly because while I might complain about the lockout and the owners and players now, once hockey starts and I go to a game again and remember how fun and exciting they are, I think ticket prices will totally and completely cease to be an issue for me.

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Levitate said:
are you sure it's just season tickets? it does say across the board but that can be interpreted different ways

I am 100% sure that last year it was only for season ticket renewals and single game tickets were full price...if they don't do it the same this year then they aren't making good on their promise

by across the board they probably mean season tickets in all sections, they aren't just reducing certain price levels.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
HeidiHalter said:
You're probably right. It's not a big deal, I just assumed from those other arena's that Colorado's were pretty on par. I've never thought they were unreasonable.
Well, one could argue that they're not technically "unreasonable" since they all get sold, every game, every year. :) It's all supply and demand. And in this market, that means super-high prices.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i guess i just feel we should save our venom until we know for sure what they're reducing... a little blurb in a random news article tells us next to nothing at this point.

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Well, one could argue that they're not technically "unreasonable" since they all get sold, every game, every year. :) It's all supply and demand. And in this market, that means super-high prices.
Right, and it probably hasn't hurt that their success has made it all seem worth it, you know?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
NYR469 said:
by across the board they probably mean season tickets in all sections, they aren't just reducing certain price levels.

You know that sounds really stupid, right?

..."We are lowering season tickets by 10%" was what they said. You assume that isn't all season tickets and it meant only "certian sections"? That makes zero sense.

When you say "across the board" your talking about ALL. That tidbit says across the board. Which means all the tickets and doesn't say anything about season tickets. So your assuming, and hardly "100%".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad