Sportsnet:NHL will come off $42.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
shnagle said:
Again, if I accept your premise when did the league ever give any indication that they would do a new cba without linkage to revenues. My only point is that it works both ways. All I know is that once linkage was dropped the players were willing to accept a cap. That is what I call negotiation and it's unfortunate it took 8 months for either side to finally bring something new to the table. Once again, if there is no deal than both sides should share the blame because to most of us there is obviously a deal to be made here.

Their November offer had no linkage.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
waffledave said:
Is it at all possible that no news will be released even if a deal in principle is made because Bettman is waiting for the PC to annouce it?

Like what if they agreed to 45 million 5 minutes ago and instead of leaking it to the media they just decided to keep it quiet and announce it at the PC.

I mean I would think it's too late to cancel the PC, right?

Anything is possible.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
waffledave said:
Is it at all possible that no news will be released even if a deal in principle is made because Bettman is waiting for the PC to annouce it?

Like what if they agreed to 45 million 5 minutes ago and instead of leaking it to the media they just decided to keep it quiet and announce it at the PC.

There's no way Good-n-plenty would let Betting-man have the spotlight to himself on saving the season. If the PC goes ahead, it is to pull the plug.

mooseOAK*

go kim johnsson said:
True.

I would like to remind everyone Bob Goodenow did not expand to the cities that everyone says shouldn't have NHL teams, thus they are the teams this lockout is over. Teams no one cares about. That's why Gary Bettman is more to blame than the players are. He just wants the players to fix their mistakes.
NHLPA approval was required for expansion, and they gave it. Even if this whole lockout was about the expansion teams, which it isn't, then Goodenow is just as guilty.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
waffledave said:

Possible yes? But i dont think that will happen. But it is a little late to cancel the presser.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
ChiHawks468 said:
There's no way Good-n-plenty would let Betting-man have the spotlight to himself on saving the season. If the PC goes ahead, it is to pull the plug.

Well maybe he'll just dely cancellation then, who knows...

Los Tiburones

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
waffledave said:

I think the press conference is happening one way or another. Three possible outcomes: 1) reached deal in principle, season will happen, 2) the PA has presented a new offer, which needs to be reviewed, and at this time I feel it would be inappropriate to cancel the season until we have an opportunity to give this offer further review or 3) turn off the lights, I'm an idiot, and $2.5M is too important to us.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Impasse is only acheived when there is a stalemate in neogeotiations for a long period of time. Usually 1 year. 7 months before impasse the NHLPA said they would accept a salary cap and they're only separated by just $6.5 million dollars. I call that neogotiating, and since you claim that linkage was a legitimate issue in this, the owners took that off. So you lose linkage and luxury tax, so we're down to 2 sides complaining over how much a salary cap will be. The NLRB has better things to do with their time than to listen to 2 sides whine about how much a salary cap would be since they're so close anyways.. For lack of a better term, both sides have bargained in good faith. We're both not sitting here right before the season gets canceled with one side saying $31M salary cap and the other saying $60M luxury tax.

You continue to say $6.5 million. It is $1.1 Billion (with a B).

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
waffledave said:

I guess it's possible. I suppose the two sides could've reached a deal in secret, but it seems unlikely..........

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
mooseOAK said:
NHLPA approval was required for expansion, and they gave it. Even if this whole lockout was about the expansion teams, which it isn't, then Goodenow is just as guilty.

It's not the PA's job to make sure the markets are viable. If they were so bad they should have never been up for approval in the first place. 19 times out of 20 something like that where it doesn't involve labor issues is almost accepted mainly because it's not their job to do that. What are the players going to say, "no"? The point is the markets were already bad and should have been researched, it should have never gotten to the PA.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
go kim johnsson said:
It's not the PA's job to make sure the markets are viable. If they were so bad they should have never been up for approval in the first place. 19 times out of 20 something like that where it doesn't involve labor issues is almost accepted mainly because it's not their job to do that. What are the players going to say, "no"? The point is the markets were already bad and should have been researched, it should have never gotten to the PA.
You have to qualify viable. What was viable 5 years ago isn't viable now.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
You'd have a point if it were JUST the markets that YOU deem non-viable were the ones in need of this cap. Aren't Edmonton and Calgary "viable?" Aren't the Sens "viable?"

This isn't about who is viable and who isn't. It's about bleeding on the whole from the league, and that's as much to do with the Rangers and even your Flyers than it is anyone.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
slats432 said:
You have to qualify viable. What was viable 5 years ago isn't viable now.

So how about marketing your team better if that's the case. How about marketing the league. There are a lot more underlying issues as to why the state of the game is where it is before we get to player salaries.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
waffledave said:
Check out that NHLCBAnews website. It's there.
I just checked the website and the proposal to which I believe you were referring was the centralized negotiation where the league would negotiate/approve all contracts of players. I sincerely hope that you don't expect me to take this as an example of a proposal without linkage. Do you?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
shnagle said:
I just checked the website and the proposal to which I believe you were referring was the centralized negotiation where the league would negotiate/approve all contracts of players. I sincerely hope that you don't expect me to take this as an example of a proposal without linkage. Do you?

No I don't think this is it. I remember someone posted it a few days ago but I don't know where.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
waffledave said:
No I don't think this is it. I remember someone posted it a few days ago but I don't know where.
No poblem. I think it is a really important point if the league has made a prior offer without linkage and was just curious to read the offer. Thanks.

mooseOAK*

go kim johnsson said:
Who says they are bad markets? Being expansion teams they are going to lose for a while which inhibits their ability to build up a fan base quickly and even so Columbus and Minnesota are doing quite well at the gate.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Wow, a 15 page thread on an item that had not a shred of truth to it this morning, which is even more obvious now. Is that an HF record?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
BobMckenzie said:
Wow, a 15 page thread on an item that had not a shred of truth to it this morning, which is even more obvious now. Is that an HF record?

We're young and foolish and not as "experienced" as you are Bob ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad