Sportsnet: Meetings Wrap Up; now you fill in the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Whats the point of an internal meeting.....what has it produced thus far? Both times the BG has came up with something, it has been shocking to the players as a whole.

I bring forth again.....

Whats the point of internal meetings? Its bs......plain and simple.

Before somone gets me wrong - I do understand the "concept" of meeting to discuss what transpired in the meetings. Unfortunately, I have yet to see this concept actually be applied at all thus far in the "negotiating" process.

Basically we see that the fruits of the pebble beach meeting are indeed non-existent. The NHLPA continues to reject proposals, without making one of their own. Then cast blame on the NHL in the press conferences. Get off it Saskin. We get it. The owners are goofs, but do not be ignorant and ignore the gigantic oak tree hanging out of your eye as well.

Somone - end this lockout!

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
How the hell does NHLPA expect to get anywhere when they have made one official offer 4 months ago and even that being closer to a joke than a real offer?? Sheesh.

I think it's kinda obvious which side is trying and which one is not, PA better get off their asses and start making real contributions. If they just keep rejecting league proposals, nobody can blame the league for bringing in the replacement players.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I don't know if some of these details from Monday have been mentioned:

Shifting strategy to meet in small groups that discussed separate issues, representatives of the NHL and NHL Players' Assn. spent seven hours Monday trying to find areas of agreement they can stitch into a new collective bargaining agreement, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

The two sides gathered in Toronto and met briefly with a larger group than had been at previous meetings before breaking into smaller groups to go over single issues such as entry-level contracts, revenue sharing and free agency, the source said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nhl5apr05,1,4965628.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well with the NHL bringing in Jacobs, NJ Lou and Hotchkiss they didn't take any of the pressure off the PA IMO. The NHL is doing everything to emphasize to the PA they are not going cave.

What happens now? Well I think there has to be serious progress made by next monday or the NHL begins preparing hard for their next step which they bring to the BOG meeting on April 20. I think one way or another this will be 'solved' in the near future.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Pepper said:
How the hell does NHLPA expect to get anywhere when they have made one official offer 4 months ago and even that being closer to a joke than a real offer?? Sheesh.

I think it's kinda obvious which side is trying and which one is not, PA better get off their asses and start making real contributions. If they just keep rejecting league proposals, nobody can blame the league for bringing in the replacement players.

It's tough to want to officially propose when the NHL picks and chooses what it likes about each offer and puts it in there pocket, like the 24% rollback. Since the players are being locked out, whatever they propose is --more so then not-- giving way to what the NHL wants. The NHL isn't going to propose anyhting that the PA is going to react like 'ok wow we'll take that, can you make that official please?' Because it's a lockout, and not a strike, what the players offer is always going to be giving way to the NHLs needs, henceforth, there going to jam it in there pocket and say ok we're going to make that official and you can't go back on it.
It's tough to do that at this point because if they offer one thing that the NHL likes, the PA in a month from now might realize that was a mistake and they should have put forth a different type of basis for an agreement. They might have liked offering a 24% rollback in december, but now with all this talk of revenue sharing, the PA might want to offer a very low cap to the NHLs needs, but with huge revenue sharing, so they might not want to include the rollback. I know that example doesn't really hold much water, but it's just an example. If this was a strike I'm sure you would see more proposals from the players then the owners.

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
nyrmessier011 said:
It's tough to want to officially propose when the NHL picks and chooses what it likes about each offer and puts it in there pocket, like the 24% rollback.

Just a heads up to you. That is called negogiations. You take what you want from there proposal, then you add the stuff you want. And this continues till you get a deal done.

SENSible1*

Bauer83 said:
Just a heads up to you. That is called negogiations. You take what you want from there proposal, then you add the stuff you want. And this continues till you get a deal done.

In addition, the PA has been free to take the 24% off the table at any time by simply making a new proposal which doesn't contain the rollback. All points can be made contingent on their framework being accepted.

To suggest the PA hasn't made an offer because the NHL "took" the rollback is laugable.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Just goes to show the extreme ignorance and hypocrisy among PA and it's fans.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the count for total offers made 5 for the NHL, and 3 for the NHLPA? 2 of those offers for each group came in the final 2 days before the cancellation of the season... The PA put the first official offer on the table in December. No official offers were presented prior to the lockout... just 6 concepts brought forth by the league to the PA to discuss.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
what are you talking about?

nyrmessier011 said:
It's tough to want to officially propose when the NHL picks and chooses what it likes about each offer and puts it in there pocket, like the 24% rollback. Since the players are being locked out, whatever they propose is --more so then not-- giving way to what the NHL wants. The NHL isn't going to propose anyhting that the PA is going to react like 'ok wow we'll take that, can you make that official please?' Because it's a lockout, and not a strike, what the players offer is always going to be giving way to the NHLs needs, henceforth, there going to jam it in there pocket and say ok we're going to make that official and you can't go back on it.
It's tough to do that at this point because if they offer one thing that the NHL likes, the PA in a month from now might realize that was a mistake and they should have put forth a different type of basis for an agreement. They might have liked offering a 24% rollback in december, but now with all this talk of revenue sharing, the PA might want to offer a very low cap to the NHLs needs, but with huge revenue sharing, so they might not want to include the rollback. I know that example doesn't really hold much water, but it's just an example. If this was a strike I'm sure you would see more proposals from the players then the owners.

OMG!!! the players are over paid? To get their pay in some sorta line they'd have to take a pay cut?

Who would have ever come up with that idea if the PA didnt suggest it?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
of course it was....

nyrmessier011 said:
I think you all enjoy being pessimistic...according to the reports, this was the most peaceful and worthy bargaining session since the CBA expired...unless there just keeping people happy for some good PR.

If it wasnt theyd be at impasse, and I guesssing that not where the players want to be now:)

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
saskhab said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the count for total offers made 5 for the NHL, and 3 for the NHLPA? 2 of those offers for each group came in the final 2 days before the cancellation of the season... The PA put the first official offer on the table in December. No official offers were presented prior to the lockout... just 6 concepts brought forth by the league to the PA to discuss.
The PA has made 1 offer, Dec 9...that's it...When they were trying to save the season, the PA gave a 49 cap offer, that included a 10% increase 3 of the 6 years the deal the NHL had offered. I think at that point the PA were still working off of a league proposal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->