Sportsnet interview with Bob Goodenow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
What would be nice is if someone of respect in the media/political would come out and say 'ok'. Both of you show up at a designated place and time and each bring a proposal to the table and talk. This garbage about who calls who first is stupid. Let someone else set the time and place and both of you just show up. Of course, there will be a stand off of who flies in first, or who enters the room first.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20041104_152246_5304

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
It's pretty sad two very successful people like Goodenow and Bettman are acting like a couple of 9yr olds. We fans debates who's at fault, who's right or wrong. But i think it's clear were wasting our time and energy. They dont care about us, the die-hards, let alone the casual fan. Maybe the owners and players need a history lesson, look how long it took baseball fans to come back. You would think the owners who also own MLB teams would be advising the other owners about this. But common sense doesn't seem to work with these groups.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This is the problem. The league wants to tie salaries to revenue like every other business in the free world but the union want even consider it. I see nothing wrong with a luxury tax based on league revenues. This league is sinking and the union will not except it.

Clearly they are all based on a formula percentage, you can't deny that and he's come back and said this is it.
It's unfortunate. It's not a game of chicken, its serious negotiations but unfortunately the attack that he has taken, is one that is going to be a real problem for the entire sport and the industry.

So any system whether it be a hard cap or soft cap or luxury tax is not exceptable if the league uses a percentage of revenues to set the amount to the union.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
And yet today Northwest Airline pilots are accepting a 15% cut across the board on salaries. Doing it to save the airlines and even the highest paid pilot makes 1/9th the average NHL salary. Increase the rollback to 15% set a softcap with a tax and implement the changes to arbitration and entry level contracts and there you go. What's the problem.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
triggrman said:
This is the problem. The league wants to tie salaries to revenue like every other business in the free world but the union want even consider it. I see nothing wrong with a luxury tax based on league revenues. This league is sinking and the union will not except it.

So any system whether it be a hard cap or soft cap or luxury tax is not exceptable if the league uses a percentage of revenues to set the amount to the union.

There seems to be some kind of contradiction in the players message..

They don't believe the numbers are true, they don't seem to believe the league is in bad shape but yet... they don't want to tie their salaries to revenues. If the league is in good shape, why not tie salary to revenues ? C'mon Goodenow, why not ? I dare you ! Chiiiiiicken, chicken, chicken, chickchickchickchickeeeen ...

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Taranis_24 said:
And yet today Northwest Airline pilots are accepting a 15% cut across the board on salaries. Doing it to save the airlines and even the highest paid pilot makes 1/9th the average NHL salary. Increase the rollback to 15% set a softcap with a tax and implement the changes to arbitration and entry level contracts and there you go. What's the problem.

Free market is the problem, the airline pilots can always freely find out what they would get from a competitor and sign a contract with them, if they want to.

They are not artificially drafted by one company they are stuck with for a major part of their prime working career and thus prevented for years to earn their true market value by some communist non-free-market restrictions...that's the problem if you wish to compare NHL hockey market to some other markets.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
gary69 said:
Free market is the problem, the airline pilots can always freely find out what they would get from a competitor and sign a contract with them, if they want to.

They are not artificially drafted by one company they are stuck with for a major part of their prime working career and thus prevented for years to earn their true market value by some communist non-free-market restrictions...that's the problem if you wish to compare NHL hockey market to some other markets.

Wasn't trying to compare them out all. Just showing that some people are willing to compromise to make their particular company strong. The only comparison, but tag it as you would like. The Players going overseas are playing for owners now just as rich as those in the NHL but are willing to play for them at significant discounted salaries. Why support those owners and overseas league but not the league here at home. Another thing sense I'm venting. The NHLPA needs to stop the Eagleson comparisons, it was over 10 years ago. Even some of the owners are different. It's like holding Pres. Bush responsible not only for his mistakes but those of Carter as well. Doesn't make sense.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
There is one proposal that isn't a salary cap, most certainly...and that is this one...

"A system premised on the Centralized Negotiation of Player Contracts, where the League would negotiate individual player contracts, either with players and their agents or with the Union directly. "

That is still a market system, and why hasn't the Union said they were interested in a Free Market system?

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
triggrman said:

My understanding is that the NHL hasn't brought anything to the table other than a hard cap. No mention of a soft cap or luxury tax system, which IMO are more favorable to BOTH sides than a hard cap (luxury taxes generate revenue that can be redistributed to the teams that need it).

Of course, the owners who'd have to pay the luxury tax wouldn't like it which is precisely why the only policy the owners can stand unified on is that of a hard cap. It's ashame most fans can't see through this.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
sjb3599 said:
My understanding is that the NHL hasn't brought anything to the table other than a hard cap. No mention of a soft cap or luxury tax system, which IMO are more favorable to BOTH sides than a hard cap (luxury taxes generate revenue that can be redistributed to the teams that need it).

Of course, the owners who'd have to pay the luxury tax wouldn't like it which is precisely why the only policy the owners can stand unified on is that of a hard cap. It's ashame most fans can't see through this.
Read my post above. The league did offer to negotiate all contracts on behalf of the teams. That isn't a salary cap.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Taranis_24 said:
Wasn't trying to compare them out all. Just showing that some people are willing to compromise to make their particular company strong. The only comparison, but tag it as you would like. The Players going overseas are playing for owners now just as rich as those in the NHL but are willing to play for them at significant discounted salaries. Why support those owners and overseas league but not the league here at home. Another thing sense I'm venting. The NHLPA needs to stop the Eagleson comparisons, it was over 10 years ago. Even some of the owners are different. It's like holding Pres. Bush responsible not only for his mistakes but those of Carter as well. Doesn't make sense.

I read not too long ago that there are 22 different owners since the 1994 lockout...

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
gary69 said:

And hockey players are perfectly free to sign with dozens of leagues in North America and around the world.

This "communist" non-free-market stuff is *crap*.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
This is the problem. The league wants to tie salaries to revenue like every other business in the free world but the union want even consider it.

What are you talking about? What other industries have salary caps? The business model followed by "every other business in the free world" is alot closer to what the players are proposing than the owners.

I see nothing wrong with a luxury tax based on league revenues. This league is sinking and the union will not except it.

Out of the two sides, the players are the side that's signalled a willingness to talk about a luxury tax system. The owners have come out against it.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Lexicon Devil said:
Out of the two sides, the players are the side that's signalled a willingness to talk about a luxury tax system. The owners have come out against it.

An the owners have said the are willing to talk about a cost certainty system and the players have come out against it. 2 sides Lexicon 2 sides....

Brent Burns Beard