Sportsnet HD on Videotron

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
So last night i was all pumped to watch the game.. i had my TV on Rogers sportsnet HD on videotron (channel 661) and the pre-show was going on everything was good.. and the guide clearly showed that the game was coming on at 7:30 and when 7:30 came a static sportsnet screen came up saying that due to NHL broadcasting rights the game was blocked out in my region...

now my first thought was to be pissed at videotron for the mix up .. i quickly checked on the standard definition sportsnet east channel (81) and low and behold it was playing as it should be.

Now i got even more pissed at videotron for the mix up and called them.. to anyone who has HD they know that watching a game on SD on a HD TV sucks big time.

When i called Videotron after a while of talkign with them they found out that Sportsnet had not paid the license fees to broadcast sportsnet east hockey games in HD in the quebec region.

Now to be honest i have no clue what to think... is this really just a mix up? did sportsnet really decided to screw sens fans that live in Gatineau???

None of this makes any sense.. they've had it every single year so why all of the sudden change it now??

I hope this was just a one time thing and that they figured out their mistake by the next game cause this sucks so bad.. i had to watch the game on RDS HD and watching a game in french just isn't the same for me ..

You would think that the Sens would make sure that their contract with Sportsnet makes sure that Sens fans in the entire region can watch the games.

#upset

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I chatted with a Videotron rep yesterday who clearly had no idea what she was saying. She told me RDS held the rights to Sens games (What?) and there's nothing Videotron could do since it had to do with the NHL broadcasting restrictions.

I also sent Sportsnet an email last night during the game and have yet to receive a response.

This is ****.

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah i sent Sportsnet an email too after the videotron guy said it was a license thing .. still no word from sportsnet either..

this is so bad

BURY

Oct 15, 2005
Gatineau
I ran into the same problem and received the same answer from Videotron... I've watched Sens game in HD for the past 6-7 years without any issue. I seriously hope they fix it for the next game.

rpodeanu

Oct 12, 2010
Gatineau
Same here!!!!
I called Videotron but they gave me another reason.
First guy did not know anything (he was looking if i should have that channel in the first place) then he placed me on hold and passed me to technical.
They came up with the excuse that Senators have blocked out the game:rant:. I told the guy that cannot be it because it was not blocked on the regular channel.
They don’t know anything.....
Hope this will be fixed by Thursday and Friday games.
I will keep sending SportsNet e-mails and call Videotron if not.
Go Sens Go.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Yeah I had a very frustrating experience with Cogeco. I have the NHL package. The technical people knew nothing as well and said it was blacked out in Southern Ontario. Which was BS because my friend was getting the game on Bell. I hope they get it sorted out by Thursday too.

BURY

Oct 15, 2005
Gatineau
I don't know if anybody else got a response but Sportsnet wrote back today saying it was due to technical difficulties and that everything should be back to normal tomorrow.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I don't know if anybody else got a response but Sportsnet wrote back today saying it was due to technical difficulties and that everything should be back to normal tomorrow.

Sweet. I had no response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad