Sportsnet: Detroit scouting Weiss heavily

CloneHakanPlease*

I know this was already posted on the rumor forum but figured we could have a discussion on it since most of that forum is hypothetical value. Kypreos and Mckenzie have both tweeted that the Wings have been making calls and scouting Stephen Weiss from Florida. Wings scouts have apparently been to 5 panthers game the past month including two AFTER the Ellerby trade.

Your thoughts? I'm not sure how I feel about this move, as he certainly isnt enough to elevate this team to a favorite, but I think if he can be signed to an extension he may be worth acquiring. A couple people have speculated trading impending UFAs Flip-Weiss, and while I prefer Flip, would not be opposed to it as Weiss has proven to be able to carry a line as a center.

(theoretically healthy roster that will probably never happen)
Brunner-Zetterberg-Franzen
Tatar-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Weiss-Sammuelson
Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo

A more realistic option would be to keep Filppula and send Tatar/Nyquist and a pick, for a roster similar to

Brunner-Zetterberg-Franzen
Filppula-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Nyquist/Tatar-Weiss-Sammuelson
Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo

Would you like to see us make a deal for him? What would you want to give up.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
I don't see it. We have an abundance of centers as is. Detroit needs defense. Not center man.

CloneHakanPlease*

I don't see it. We have an abundance of centers as is. Detroit needs defense. Not center man.

We have three good Centers. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Helm. You can count Filppula if you want but I think it's clear at this point and time he is better as a Winger if we want a scoring line. Out of those three, Helm is proving to be Injury prone, Zetterberg is viable on the Wing, and Datsyuk may not be here in a few seasons.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
We have three good Centers. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Helm. You can count Filppula if you want but I think it's clear at this point and time he is better as a Winger if we want a scoring line. Out of those three, Helm is proving to be Injury prone, Zetterberg is viable on the Wing, and Datsyuk may not be here in a few seasons.

Wether datsyuk stays or goes is yet to be determined. I don't see them giving up a lot of futures to acquire Weiss just in case datsyuk bolts after next year. Helm will b fine. Just ****** luck. Then everyone else. Emmerton. Abby. Anderson. Jarnkrok. Mursak. Are all technically centermen

It might just be me. But I can't see holland giving up futures for someone who isn't an immediate need and who will potentially just walk away this summer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am guessing Florida would have some interest in Jurco. While him and Hubie didn't play a ton in Saint John's together they have some chemistry in terms of playoffs. What the add to Jurco is where it becomes crucial. I don't want to give up a first for Weiss so I probably pass on whatever Florida wants.

Depth forward and Jurco should get it done, we could also through in one of our AHL d-man they need to make space there.

If Weiss and Filppula have similar contract demands I go with Weiss in that case. Although Weiss isn't doing much this year to improve his value.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Maybe they want Tatar? Could explain the odd way he's being handled at the moment.

God, I really hope not, unless they have an extension signed with Weiss when he gets here.

I am not in favor of trading futures for this guy unless we have a guarantee he won't walk in July.

CloneHakanPlease*

Wether datsyuk stays or goes is yet to be determined. I don't see them giving up a lot of futures to acquire Weiss just in case datsyuk bolts after next year. Helm will b fine. Just ****** luck. Then everyone else. Emmerton. Abby. Anderson. Jarnkrok. Mursak. Are all technically centermen

It might just be me. But I can't see holland giving up futures for someone who isn't an immediate need and who will potentially just walk away this summer.

Oh it's not just you, I actually am against this trade unless it is 100% assured he is extended. I'm just reporting it since they were talking about it on the Sportsnet (not TSN) version of Sportscenter and it's being picked up by actual journalists instead of just rumor sites

Last edited by a moderator:

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
weiss

wow weiss would be a very good addition for the wings solid forward and young ..but at what price

maybe a draft pick and a prospect

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh it's not just you, I actually am against this trade unless it is 100% assured he is extended. I'm just reporting it since they were talking about it on the candian version of Sportscenter and it's being picked up by actual journalists instead of just rumor sites

Isn't the Canadian version of Sportscenter the same exact program even in name just spelled with the funny way they spell center?

CloneHakanPlease*

Isn't the Canadian version of Sportscenter the same exact program even in name just spelled with the funny way they spell center?

Yeah the classic English spelling, but that was TSN's version. I meant Sportsnet version. Shoudlve clarified

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Haha, yeah. Sportscentre on TSN is the ESPN of Canada. But Rogers Sportsnet is pretty big, too. Until a guy says something from TSN (Bob McKenzie or Darren Dreger) then I don't fully buy it.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Weiss on the third line is such a terrible waste. the guy is a top six center, good 2nd line center that caN fill in on the first.

If we acquire him, it'd be for the 2nd line, then u reunite Z and Dats, put flipper on the wings with Weiss.

CloneHakanPlease*

Weiss on the third line is such a terrible waste. the guy is a top six center, good 2nd line center that caN fill in on the first.

If we acquire him, it'd be for the 2nd line, then u reunite Z and Dats, put flipper on the wings with Weiss.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the same line is more of a waste than running three scoring lines.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the same line is more of a waste than running three scoring lines.

Helm, Tatar, Gus is enough for 3rd line, no point acquiring Weiss to play 13min a night, the cost is too high.

Plus overloading the top line prevents people from double coverage ng Dats. Balance is why we have Cleary and Abby on top line lol and I hate that lineup.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Same thing I posted on the main board.
We are not Weiss away from being a contender.
So it doesn't make sense to deal picks/prospects to get Weiss unless we are sure we can re-sign him.

That said Babcock did mention that he doesn't want to play Z, D too much minutes (I can't seem to find the link)
Z, D, Weiss, Helm is a good 4 line Cs. We could role 3 scoring line but that means Helm will play very little 5-5.
Or we put Datsyuk as winger on Weiss line and role Z, Weiss, Helm, Abs/Emmerton

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So it doesn't make sense to deal picks/prospects to get Weiss unless we are sure we can re-sign him.

He'd have to waive his NMC so that's at least a positive sign he'd be okay in Detroit for a bit longer, if this deal went down.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The one thing that we already have is good center depth. But nothing Holland does really surprises me anymore. It would be a dumb move.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Same thing I posted on the main board.
We are not Weiss away from being a contender.

Hah, oh, if we were only a Weiss away... Weiss Away. Hmm, isn't that some poorly spoken pasta dish?

That said Babcock did mention that he doesn't want to play Z, D too much minutes (I can't seem to find the link)
Z, D, Weiss, Helm is a good 4 line Cs. We could role 3 scoring line but that means Helm will play very little 5-5.
Or we put Datsyuk as winger on Weiss line and role Z, Weiss, Helm, Abs/Emmerton

Maybe the Wings have some bad news about Helm and aren't willing to spill it until a suitable replacement is found...

... man, could you imagine a 3rd line of Hudler-Weiss-Filppula? :naughty:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I just don't understand this. I like Weiss and all, but its not like this team is bereft of skilled, two-way centers. And with all the other needs we have? A top 4 defensive defenseman? A hard point shot? Size in the top 6? Why waste assets on a guy like this when so much more needs to be done. And that's not even considering the fact that he's an impending UFA.

The only way I wouldn't mind this if it were basically a Filppula for Weiss swap, where we throw in a mid-level prospect OR a few mid-to-late picks (not necessarily from the 2013 draft) OR a depth guy or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad