Sportsnet confirms: NHL to make offer tommorow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
And people said John Kerry was a flip flopper.
Sportsnet is ridiculous

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
dem said:
And people said John Kerry was a flip flopper.
Sportsnet is ridiculous

Exactly. Thats why I really don't believe the negative crap coming from the media outlets.

Team1040 in Vancouver just reported that they will be meeting tommorow in Toronto, and that they communicated via conference call today.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I just cant see this thing going into day 150. I have a strong belief that it is all over, if not tomorrow, by Saturday. OMG PLEASE. :bow: :bow: :bow:

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
It will be interesting (and telling) if Goodenow and Bettman are invited. If they're there, then I believe tomorrow is final - in what direction? - I don't know.

Crows*

Yeah I have a feeling we will know if it's over by friday or saturday. Hopefully. And hopefully players will be flying over to get ready for training camp.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
struckmatch said:

Hopefully media outlets will not continue to report that the offer contains a salary cap when it doesn't.

Player compensation is only capped under the offer (as reported) if league-wide profits do not exceed $115 million (or less than $4 million a team). Moreover, if base salaries decrease that only makes it more likely that "profits" will be made and monies not paid in base salary will be paid out as profits.

If a movie star (as they often do) takes a movie deal for $2 million plus 10% of profits, is his salary in any way "capped"?

No. End of discussion.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
EJ Hradek claims this is window dressing.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
This is the exit strategy the PA needed, like the poster above, I don't believe they can call this a "salary cap" because if profits increase, their salaries increase. So they would not be accepting a salary cap per se, but it is still a form of cost certainty.

To me, the PA would be idiotic not to negotiate off of this proposal, they aren't going to be in a better position a year from now, or at any point in the future. The owners are winning this, and will have cost certainty when this is all said and done. I think players have come to realize that. Hopefully logic will prevail and a deal will get done.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
With all the reports coming out this week it is a very positive sign. It means the medias sources are hearing things which means talks are going on atleast. Also if you wanna believe mark madden's report tomorrow being wednesday everything could be signed by thursday. Two different reports can fit into one timeline and in my mind this is atleast a good sign, but we will see tomorrow i guess

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:

like the PA's offer of a 24% rollback, with more than 75% of the league becoming free agents by end of 04-05? :)

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
"The league will have a few changes to the ideas discussed at two meetings last week, but won't back away from its demand for a hard salary cap."

:shakehead

Then the season is over. Don't these idiots (NHL and PA) know what it means to compromise?

Fools.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
go kim johnsson said:

I think its more than window dressing. The NHL must know that the players want to make a deal, and get back playing. I don't think, and have never thought the NHL was going down the impasse route, and I still believe they aren't going that way.

It is a hoop they have to jump through, making a formal proposal, in order to declare impasse, but I think that is a treacherous and risky path to take for the NHL. To me, I just see this as a good deal for both sides, the players need to start thinking logically, and see where they will be a year from now. This may be the best deal they can get, as starting in September, the owners don't need to be serious about negotiating, because they don't strt making money until half the season is over anyways, so the PA is in danger of missing another half year without revenue.

I think the PA can live with an average salary of 1.6 million dollar,s with profit sharing and room for salary growth. They should bargain the UFA age down to 27 or 28, and then tweak the minimum and maximim cap numbers, and sign the damn deal. I don't think the PA is dumb enough to reject this proposal outright.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I hope like hell we play this year, but the good thing is this will be over soon one way or the other. I am getting sick of hearing about meetings and getting all excited and having them come to nothing. Hopefully they make a decision soon one way or the other.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Beauty said:
"The league will have a few changes to the ideas discussed at two meetings last week, but won't back away from its demand for a hard salary cap."

:shakehead

Then the season is over. Don't these idiots (NHL and PA) know what it means to compromise?

Fools.

There is no "salary cap" go look at Greshner4 post...

I mean these people aren't idiots, the owners know the drop dead date is approching so they're coming with their best offer, PA knows this, which is why they haven't skipped town yet...and because this offer has no "cap" it's a way for the PA to save face, and it's also a way for the owners to save face

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
just like that. just there version of it. bottom line is that the owners don't want to play without a salary cap. if the players won't play with one, then there is no league....now or whenever.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
There is no "salary cap" go look at Greshner4 post...

I mean these people aren't idiots, the owners know the drop dead date is approching so they're coming with their best offer, PA knows this, which is why they haven't skipped town yet...and because this offer has no "cap" it's a way for the PA to save face, and it's also a way for the owners to save face
I hope you are right bro.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Nick Kypreos is a tool. Why he continues to believe the players have any chance of avoiding the outcome of cost certainty is absolutely ridiculous.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
struckmatch said:
Nick Kypreos is a tool. Why he continues to believe the players have any chance of avoiding the outcome of cost certainty is absolutely ridiculous.
Too many shots to the head...poor Nick...Couldn't fight couldn't score...could run goalies over though...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This comes from the newest article on TSN:
"The league is proposing cost certainty or a team-by-team salary cap, linked to 55 per cent of league revenues. The salary range would have a floor of $32 million and a cap of $42 million, although those figures are slightly misleading as the cost for player benefits (health care, insurance etc.) are also to be included in the salary range. Since the average costs per team for player benefits is in excess of $2 million per year, the actual range for player salaries would be between $30 million and $40 million."

Im sorry but if this is true all hope for the season is definitely lost. The NHL's newest offer differs HOW much from when we started? Barely anything. Also I find this funny as well for people who call the players the only greedy ones:

" The expectation is that any NHL revenue sharing plan would be based on a redistribution of playoff monies, not regular season revenue to any great extent."

Big Market teams dont want to share the REAL money to keep the small market teams healthy. If the NHL isnt willing to do anything important with revenue sharing, why should the NHLPA even bother looking at a cap? If this report is true my opinion- season over.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Crows said:
Yeah I have a feeling we will know if it's over by friday or saturday. Hopefully. And hopefully players will be flying over to get ready for training camp.
if the deal dosen't go down in 48 hours the speculation is the season will be cancelled on super bowl sunday - team 1040 - the score.ca -

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
This comes from the newest article on TSN:
"The league is proposing cost certainty or a team-by-team salary cap, linked to 55 per cent of league revenues. The salary range would have a floor of $32 million and a cap of $42 million, although those figures are slightly misleading as the cost for player benefits (health care, insurance etc.) are also to be included in the salary range. Since the average costs per team for player benefits is in excess of $2 million per year, the actual range for player salaries would be between $30 million and $40 million."

Im sorry but if this is true all hope for the season is definitely lost. The NHL's newest offer differs HOW much from when we started? Barely anything. Also I find this funny as well for people who call the players the only greedy ones:

" The expectation is that any NHL revenue sharing plan would be based on a redistribution of playoff monies, not regular season revenue to any great extent."

Big Market teams dont want to share the REAL money to keep the small market teams healthy. If the NHL isnt willing to do anything important with revenue sharing, why should the NHLPA even bother looking at a cap? If this report is true my opinion- season over.

First, NHL started at 52%, now up to 55%.

Second, NHL introduced Proft sharing, which means that if league profits exceed 2$3.9 mil a team, the players will get more than 55% of league revenue

Third, the league is guaranteeing 55% of revenue to the players, no matter WHAT

Fourth, someone is going to do the math, 55% of 2.1 Billion (1155 Million) is better than 70% of 1.3 Billion (910 Million), and realize that striking a deal is more important than crushing your oposition like an ant under your fist.

Shadder

Jan 26, 2005
Ya know what? Untill we see that the deal is signed I don't much care what reporter says what the deal includes or excludes. It's sort of stupid to argue about whats in it. Every report that I've read has a deal on the table and each one is different, be it a little bit or a great deal. They are meeting tomorow, they are meeting Thursday, they had a conference call meeting today, they had one yesterday. Seems to me that the bottom line is that just as the NHL and the NHLPA want it, no one has the true story. I'd bet that they are spoon feeding some of therse reporters different stories just to throw them ... and us...off the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad