Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Kritter471 said:
Are these the same sources that said Goodenow didn't want to meet at all?

And the same sources that said back in February that a deal was absolutely going to happen and the season would be saved.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The lockout will have become the longest work stoppage in North American sports history by that time. Just a piece of trivia for you.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
tom_servo said:
The lockout will have become the longest work stoppage in North American sports history by that time. Just a piece of trivia for you.

No surprise with Bob "I don't even start talking until deadline day, screw the league" Goodenow at one of the tillers...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Being Pro-Player, im very disappointed with the PA, they aren't doing anything im sure in the next 2 weeks. They should have scheduled meetings. That earns them a minus in my books.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Three things -

One, May 2 is a week from Monday, so about 2 weeks would have passed between meetings, but the statement "there will be no meetings for at least the next two weeks" is wrong.

B, I can see perfectly logical reasons for not scheduling meetins next week, as in schedule conflicts. Yes, they should ideally be able to clear their schedules but both sides could have very legitimate reasons (these people do have personal lives outside of hockey) for having scheduling problems. And that isn't simply a PA comment - the NHL apparently offered 13 potential dates over the next three weeks. That's 10 days they said they couldn't get together, and if the first convergence of dates is May 2, then it just worked out that way.

Pi, Sportsnet needs to identify their sources in the sense of "an NHL employee close to the negotiations said" or "an NHLPA member with knowledge of the negotiations" or something for me to start believing them again.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Being Pro-Player, im very disappointed with the PA, they aren't doing anything im sure in the next 2 weeks. They should have scheduled meetings. That earns them a minus in my books.

However, neither side could agree on a workable date for next week....

Stop jumping to conclussions and assuming its all the players fault for not meeting. I mean what would the NHL possibly be doing that should be more important?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Crazy_Ike said:
No surprise with Bob "I don't even start talking until deadline day, screw the league" Goodenow at one of the tillers...

And a great legacy for Gary. Knowing he was the man in charge who control the outcome of this.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Icey said:

Stop jumping to conclussions and assuming its all the players fault for not meeting. I mean what would the NHL possibly be doing that should be more important?
No no no, its the players fault for everything... :sarcasm:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Well isn't there a Jewish holiday early next week? Might have something to do with Bettman not being able to meet?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I have no idea if Bettman is Jewish, but Passover does happen from 4/24-5/1 this year. That might come into play regarding travel and being around family for any Jewish members of the negotiation teams.

http://www.cjwi.org/holiday2.html

Edit: And with further research, Bettman does appear to be of the Jewish faith and a fairly active in the Queens Jewish Association at that.

Now, I'm not Jewish, but my high school was 76 % Jewish, and during passover, even the kids who didn't keep kosher or attend temple every weekend had pretty strict schedules to keep to during passover. So there may have been some extenuating factors playing into scheduling next week.

Last edited:

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
I have to say that the PA knows full well that the Owners MUST HAVE this time to enable the sponsorships that will allow them to pay the players the highest possible amount thay the PA is looking for.

By their forcing the Owners to bypass this opportunity and also saying they won't accept anything other than MORE than the Owners are offering today I feel that the PA is deliberately seeking the financial end of the NHL.

Clearly if Don Goodenow were looking for the best offer he could get he'd move FAST. Since he's not and is disallowing the League to consolidate its advertising cash stream, he obviously is looking towards another course.

This won't get solved unless the players remove Captain Queeg, period, end.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Kritter471 said:
One, May 2 is a week from Monday, so about 2 weeks would have passed between meetings, but the statement "there will be no meetings for at least the next two weeks" is wrong.
And they never made that statement, so why are you implying that they did? Their statement is, word for word: "so it appears, at best, almost two weeks will pass between formal negotiations." They're referring specifically and explicitly to the time that will pass between meetings. What is wrong with that?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
And they never made that statement, so why are you implying that they did? Their statement is, word for word: "so it appears, at best, almost two weeks will pass between formal negotiations." They're referring specifically and explicitly to the time that will pass between meetings. What is wrong with that?
Sportsnet didn't make that statement.

FlyFan4Life did by saying "im very disappointed with the PA, they aren't doing anything im sure in the next 2 weeks. "

I was responding to that, though you're right, I shouldn't have direct quoted something that was never said.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Icey said:

Is it jumping to conclusions if the NHL has requested 13 meeting over the next 15 business days and the PA can't find the time to meet for at least three of the dates (assuming that the league doesn't have more than one meeting per day).

I've tried to be pretty balanced, but this seems to be a pretty strong indicator that the PA is trying to avoiding serious negotiations.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
Beukeboom Fan said:
Is it jumping to conclusions if the NHL has requested 13 meeting over the next 15 business days and the PA can't find the time to meet for at least three of the dates (assuming that the league doesn't have more than one meeting per day).

I've tried to be pretty balanced, but this seems to be a pretty strong indicator that the PA is trying to avoiding serious negotiations.

The story says they cannot meet next week. That doesn't mean that no meetings will happen in the following 2 weeks of that 3 week window. Maybe they're working on another concept to propose and that's why they can't meet. Maybe its because some of the lawyers in the negotiating committees have other committments. Maybe its because Bettman is celibrating Passover. I don't really care why they can't meet next week or when they finally can meet. They could meet starting a week from Monday from 1:24 AM until 11:47 AM every day for the next 9 days after it for all I care. I just want to see a deal done soon that is fair to both sides.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What is the big deal waiting until the week of May 2 to begin the new and latest series of meetings?This week is Passover and Easter week for the Orthodox Christians.The lockout began on September 16.Where was the urgency in September?Where was the urgency in December?Waiting another week is not a big deal.Most of the schools will be closed this week.A new CBA is not going to get done until the eve of training camp(IF it gets done by September)

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Bettman is Jewish I know that for a fact. So passover is 4/24-5/1, or all of next week. So not that anyone on here really knows why they aren't meeting, but if you are going to take a guess than that is certainly the most logical reason.

...Yet people come on here ripping Goodenow for stalling haha. Like it's Goodenow's fault that Bettman is jewish?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nyr7andcounting said:
Bettman is Jewish I know that for a fact. So passover is 4/24-5/1, or all of next week. So not that anyone on here really knows why they aren't meeting, but if you are going to take a guess than that is certainly the most logical reason.

...Yet people come on here ripping Goodenow for stalling haha. Like it's Goodenow's fault that Bettman is jewish?
Point of Fact ..

It interesting that Bettman's Jewish faith and Passover is a possible reason for no meetings .. yet the NHL filed its first NLRB grievance on Good Friday during Easter that is also a very important date for religious people, who are not Jewish.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Why don't you just change the title of this thread to "Is Bettman's Jewishness the reason there are no new meetings for two weeks"......the thread has become totally absurd and bordering on being racist.... :shakehead ....and that comes from a goy.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
It also should be noted that May 1 is May Day, a day in which the NHLPA can show it's tremendous worker solidarity with unions worldwide. This should give the PA members all the support they need in hammering out a fair deal from their oppressive owners.

Okay, even I can't say that with a straight face. :biglaugh:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
saskhab said:
It also should be noted that May 1 is May Day, a day in which the NHLPA can show it's tremendous worker solidarity with unions worldwide. This should give the PA members all the support they need in hammering out a fair deal from their oppressive owners.

Okay, even I can't say that with a straight face. :biglaugh:

Heh. :) Good for a chuckle definately. Most unions would puke if they heard anything like that from the NHLPA, which does nothing but damage union causes everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->