Confirmed with Link: SportsNet And Vancouver Canucks Sign A Ten Year Broadcast Extension

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Scott Moore ‏@MooreScottmoore
This morning @sportsnet announces 10 year broadcast rights extension with @vancanucks. We've been partners for 15 yrs. Here's to 25!

You guys are not my people but thought you might appreciate the news. Discuss amongst yourselves

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Wow, this is Gillis' worst move by far.
Fire Gillis and AV, trade Kesler, amnesty buyout the Sedins, waive Edler, FULL REBUILD!!!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wow, this is Gillis' worst move by far.
Fire Gillis and AV, trade Kesler, amnesty buyout the Sedins, waive Edler, FULL REBUILD!!!

:laugh:

On the one hand - great to see more of the Canucks on local TV, and I do really enjoy Shorthouse, Garrett and Murph. (heck, even Valk is growing on me a bit). It's just unfortunate that the rest of those associated with Sportsnet - their various panels of "experts" - are so colossally stupid.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Dislike.. most West games are blacked out here in Winnipeg on SNET. I ended up having to buy Game Center. I can't stand SNET on so many levels.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm fine with this as long as they ditch about half their camera angles.

Great point, I almost forgot - they've been experimenting with one this year that appears to be to the side of one of the faceoff dots, as if you're sitting about 13 rows back. They then proceed to take way, way, way too long to shift to one of the cameras that has a better view of the overall play. That angle and the "behind the net" camera angle drive me nuts.

TheSnowLeopard

Jan 8, 2013
Soviet Kanuckistan
Shorthouse and Garrett are great. From watching out of market games this year it is pretty obvious that we are lucky to have those two for a good portion of Canucks games. I prefer Shorty over Jim Houston myself (less hammy) and while Garrett is obviously a fan of the home team, he's got a good eye and calls things like they are. Hopefully Sportsnet have locked those two up long term.

I'm also a fan of Gary Valk, it would be cool to see him do more intermission segments. I wish that Sportsnet had all Canucks games to be honest as CBC coverage is generally so poor on both a technical and personality level.

As to Kypreos, Maclean and Mallard, listen to the Hockey Central at noon podcast before writing them off. Generally a very funny show which provides an interesting view of hockey culture. Based on the podcasts Kypreos seems like a genuine, solid hockey guy with a decent head on his shoulders, Mallard is an excellent wrangler and while Maclean may be a bit of a blowhard, he's a charasmatic one.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey_central_at_noon/

Cheers

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Shorthouse and Garrett are great. From watching out of market games this year it is pretty obvious that we are lucky to have those two for a good portion of Canucks games. I prefer Shorty over Jim Houston myself (less hammy) and while Garrett is obviously a fan of the home team, he's got a good eye and calls things like they are. Hopefully Sportsnet have locked those two up long term.

I'm also a fan of Gary Valk, it would be cool to see him do more intermission segments. I wish that Sportsnet had all Canucks games to be honest as CBC coverage is generally so poor on both a technical and personality level.

As to Kypreos, Maclean and Mallard, listen to the Hockey Central at noon podcast before writing them off. Generally a very funny show which provides an interesting view of hockey culture. Based on the podcasts Kypreos seems like a genuine, solid hockey guy with a decent head on his shoulders, Mallard is an excellent wrangler and while Maclean may be a bit of a blowhard, he's a charasmatic one.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey_central_at_noon/

Cheers

I agreed with you up until the Kypreos, Maclean and Mallard part. I have listened to their show several times. Having one guy on the extreme right and another on the extreme left of every issue does nothing for good debate. It is the National Enquirer of analysis.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Dislike.. most West games are blacked out here in Winnipeg on SNET. I ended up having to buy Game Center. I can't stand SNET on so many levels.

That really has nothing to do with Sportsnet. We can blame the CRTC for these stupid rules about national broadcasting.

TheSnowLeopard

Jan 8, 2013
Soviet Kanuckistan
That angle and the "behind the net" camera angle drive me nuts.

The behind the net angle is awesome! How can you not like being able to see the entire play as it develops? Especially with playmakers like the Sedins, that camera angle is tailor made for them.

What has to go is the stupid cut to guy leaving the penalty box cutaway (or PIP overlay). It drives my nuts that they think someone opening and closing a door away from the play is more interesting than what is happening with the puck.

Cheers

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The behind the net angle is awesome! How can you not like being able to see the entire play as it develops? Especially with playmakers like the Sedins, that camera angle is tailor made for them.

What has to go is the stupid cut to guy leaving the penalty box cutaway (or PIP overlay). It drives my nuts that they think someone opening and closing a door away from the play is more interesting than what is happening with the puck.

Cheers

Mayor of Wrongville. I hate that angle as well. I like the above the net one though, wish it was zoomed out a bit more.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Cheers

My issue with the behind the net play is when the play gets over to one side of the ice. With an overall view, you can see the guy sneaking in back door, or going into the slot for a one-timer, etc. - whereas with this view, all you can see is the few guys fighting along the boards.

I like the traditional view because you can see the whole play develop. For seeing the down low stuff, that's what replays are for. :D

YouCantYandleThis*

The only one I can't really stand is Gary Valk.

This guy is just brain-dead. I honestly cringe watching him trying to spell out sentences that are barely coherent.

"You can really see that the Sedins really know the game of hockey."

Well, no ****.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I usually do something else during the intermissions and post-game so that doesn't bother me too much. The game itself is well done. Shorthouse and Garrett do a good job compared to a lot of the crews around the league.

M A K A V E L I*

Wonder when they'll start putting overlay advertisements throughout the entire glass length.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad