News Article: Sportsnet all hockey special Magazine

morgan_mtl

Apr 1, 2008
Montreal
Can be merged if another thread if need be. I got the Magazine in the mail yesterday and had flipped through it and saw somthing that caught my eye and not sure if they did a mistake or I was misinformed. On page 85 at the bottom they did a prediction for this years Stanley Cup Playoffs where they think Kings beat Lightning in finals.

My issue is on the side of the East where in the Atlantic they have Boston, Tampa, Detroit and Montreal making playoffs. In the Metro division they have Pittsburgh, Columbus and both NY teams making the playoffs. In the first round they have Bruins and Islanders playing and Penguins and Red Wings playing. I thought that if it was equal of 4 teams from each division making the playoffs the 2 wildcards stayed in their own division for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs with no crossover. Am I wrong or did Sportsnet get it wrong?

Thank you for any info and Go Habs Go:handclap:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Top seeded team within the conference will always play the lowest wild card seed regardless of the division it's from. So cross-over is still possible even with four teams making the playoffs from each division.

Saintpatrick*

The division leader in each conference with the most points plays the wild card team with the fewest points.
The division leader with the second highest amount of points plays the wild card team with the most points
3 & 4 – the second and third seeds in each division face one another in the first round.

So yep it's possible

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Actually I thought I read somewhere that they are changing it this year so that if it is 4 from each division, they play the wildcard that is in the same division. This wasn't the case last year.

morgan_mtl

Apr 1, 2008
Montreal
Standings last year:

BOS = 114
TB = 101
MTL = 98
DET = 94

PIT = 111
NYR = 95
CLM = 94
NYI = 93

If that is the case would it not been BOS vs NYI and PIT vs DET in last years playoffs then?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Standings last year:

BOS = 114
TB = 101
MTL = 98
DET = 94

PIT = 111
NYR = 95
CLM = 94
NYI = 93

If that is the case would it not been BOS vs NYI and PIT vs DET in last years playoffs then?

Your standings are wrong for Metropolitan division:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/year/2014/seasontype/2

Both Detroit and Columbus has 93 points last year but Columbus had more regulation/OT wins hence Boston got the lower seed - Detroit.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Standings last year:

BOS = 114
TB = 101
MTL = 98
DET = 94

PIT = 111
NYR = 95
CLM = 94
NYI = 93

what a great habs fan...forgets we reached 100 pts last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad