News Article: Sportsnet: 7 teams pose threat for offersheets, DET included

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
When you match an OS, you cannot trade that player for a year. So if you match an offersheet, you have to trade someone else from your roster if it forces you into a bad deal.

And why would a team deal you two 2nds for a matched Kapanen even if that were possible when they could have just offered the deal and got him for one. Trading for RFAs is kind of based on what the compensation is. It's why Hamilton got dealt for the picks he did and when the Wings were trying to trade for Weber instead of OSing him, they still would have been looking at an offer closer to the value of 4 1sts.
Cause I figured they could match and trade him after and get more compensation , which they could I guess after a season

Anyways none of these mid guys aren’t worth the seconds , not for us anywhere with where we are and the teams with too guys won’t ever let point,rantanen etc... so these chats are all fun and games imo

Only teams like mtl etc... who have a hard time attracting free agents and can afford to just give away a 50th pick for a player next year like kapanen might take a shot

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Second tier players are not getting offersheeted, and neither is anyone else. There is cap crunched teams every year, and no offersheets. Leon Draisaitl went 2 months into free agency and didn't get one, so they aren't happening.

You don't know if any of your statements are true. Nobody does except the player, his agent, and the team submitting the offer sheet.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Cause I figured they could match and trade him after and get more compensation , which they could I guess after a season

Anyways none of these mid guys aren’t worth the seconds , not for us anywhere with where we are and the teams with too guys won’t ever let point,rantanen etc... so these chats are all fun and games imo

Only teams like mtl etc... who have a hard time attracting free agents and can afford to just give away a 50th pick for a player next year like kapanen might take a shot

If you land a player like Kapanen with a 50OA, that’s a home run pick.

He’s already a legit NHL winger. I don’t know what the percent chance a 50OA becoming an NHL player at all is... but it’s certainly less than 100%.

It wouldn’t necessarily make sense for Detroit to do, but it is a completely valid idea to get a guaranteed NHL player with no risk for a little bit bigger cap hit than if you hit on that same level player with just your pick.

Teams aren’t going to give you more compensation for a mid range player. The whole reason you’d give more than the compensatory picks in a trade is that you could sign the player to a contract you negotiated vs having to offer a ludicrous deal to have it not be matched. With a Johnsson or Kapanen, Toronto would struggle to match even a reasonable contract

Reactions: Zetterbeer

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You don't know if any of your statements are true. Nobody does except the player, his agent, and the team submitting the offer sheet.

Yeah we don't hear about it until it's signed and the original team ends up on the clock.

Weber famously did his tour of every city before signing an offer sheet. The Wings would have absolutely given one, had he picked them. He picked Philly, they offered that crazy poison pill deal, unfortunately for them Nashville matched. Yadda yadda yadda PK Subban.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
If you land a player like Kapanen with a 50OA, that’s a home run pick.

He’s already a legit NHL winger. I don’t know what the percent chance a 50OA becoming an NHL player at all is... but it’s certainly less than 100%.

It wouldn’t necessarily make sense for Detroit to do, but it is a completely valid idea to get a guaranteed NHL player with no risk for a little bit bigger cap hit than if you hit on that same level player with just your pick.

Teams aren’t going to give you more compensation for a mid range player. The whole reason you’d give more than the compensatory picks in a trade is that you could sign the player to a contract you negotiated vs having to offer a ludicrous deal to have it not be matched. With a Johnsson or Kapanen, Toronto would struggle to match even a reasonable contract
I don’t know if I’d say homerun, he had one decent season with 20 goals on an offensively stacked leafs teams which no doubt helped him, don’t think he gets that here and our pick would be #35 , rather keep it and go for a bjnornfot or beecher, someone who with real upside or someone who slips out of the first round

I’d say for a team like mtl that just missed the playoffs by one point who are competing now unlike us then giving up a 50th is worth a shot

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, I think about it really and outside of making some half hearted attempt at Brayden Point, I don't wanna offersheet anyone.

I like Point, I think he's worth it. It's not a 1 year thing with him he's been a good player now for three full season's. He's young and fits in our fold. Yzerman should know alot about him being he drafted him. He's the guy I'd consider offer sheeting but it'd cost a lot, so they're going to have to be some plans in place outside of this single move.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One of the greatest ideas was offersheet both Kapanen and Johnsson from Toronto.

Kapanen with 4.5M (you lose 1st + 3rd)
Johnsson with 4.0M (you would lose only 2nd)

100% sure they could not match both.

This would be very complicated thinking process for them, which one to keep?

- Better player in Kapanen, but having lesser incentive in 2nd?
- Or lesser player in Johnsson, but having better incentive in 1st + 3rd.

What would you do as Toronto?
Which one would you hope to happen as Red Wings ?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I actually do know they are true. The first one is true because when does it happen anymore? The second one is true, because he didn't get offersheeted, he is with the Oilers and there is nothing suggesting anything was even offered his way. If there had been, we would have heard about it, as the media finds out about everything, and much lesser things than this. Also, if there are any offersheets that got turned down, who really cares, as they came to nothing. The only way fans care, is if one gets signed and there is a match or accept situation.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
One of the greatest ideas was offersheet both Kapanen and Johnsson from Toronto.

No way in hell would I give up a 1st round pick for Kapanen. 2nd sure. 1st round, no way.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

I don't think we have a big enough need at wing to spend a 1st and 3rd on Kapanen. If I'm Toronto I take Detroit's 1st rounder, keep Johnsson, and run. I think we're in the lottery next year again barring any major moves at D.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Second tier players are not getting offersheeted, and neither is anyone else. There is cap crunched teams every year, and no offersheets. Leon Draisaitl went 2 months into free agency and didn't get one, so they aren't happening.
Kapanen, and Johnsson in Toronto are 2 that I could see a rival trying to poach (or a straight out trade)...After Marner gets his $$$ - I'm not sure what they'll have left in cap space, and with some holes in their D they may have to make moves to shore it up.

Draisaitl was gonna get big $$$ (and likely cost multiple 1st round picks) whereas a guy like Kapanen will get a slight raise if he remains a Leaf, but a rival GM could offer upwards of around $4 million (which would be a bit of an over payment - $3 to $3.5 million seems fair), and only have to surrender a 2nd round pick...Unless there';s a few moves made by Dubas - anything more than $2 million might be too much for him to match when considering other needs for the team.

They're already in cap hell, and haven't come close to winning it all.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't think there's a good option here. Either you're overpaying a player to lure them away from a better team or you're giving up too many draft picks. Losing a 2nd to get Kapanen for 3-4 million is the only one that seems plausible to me but we don't need Kapanen.
While I agree that we may not need him when considering the young forwards the Wings have been drafting as of late, but it would be nice to have a guy with a right handed shot, and could be a 30 plus goal scorer.

For $3 to $3.5 million for 2, or 3 years he could very well be an affordable addition.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
While I agree that we may not need him when considering the young forwards the Wings have been drafting as of late, but it would be nice to have a guy with a right handed shot, and could be a 30 plus goal scorer.

For $3 to $3.5 million for 2, or 3 years he could very well be an affordable addition.

true true, a second is a great deal for Kapanen at that price if the Leafs can't find a way to match. doesn't hurt to lose a second when we have 3 this year and 2 next year (3 with the conditional from the sharks)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
true true, a second is a great deal for Kapanen at that price if the Leafs can't find a way to match. doesn't hurt to lose a second when we have 3 this year and 2 next year (3 with the conditional from the sharks)

You don't pick the second though, it will be the Detroit Red Wings second round pick in 2020 if we do it.

With any offer sheet you're required to use your own draft pick or picks.

I agree we have fortified a few more kicks at the can and that makes this move more interesting, just want to point that out so people don't start posting to use the San Jose pick or something like that because if we finish dead last next year, it is the 32 pick we would be sending.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You don't pick the second though, it will be the Detroit Red Wings second round pick in 2020 if we do it.

With any offer sheet you're required to use your own draft pick or picks.

I agree we have fortified a few more kicks at the can and that makes this move more interesting, just want to point that out so people don't start posting to use the San Jose pick or something like that because if we finish dead last next year, it is the 32 pick we would be sending.

Odds are the 32nd pick never becomes as good as Kapanen is. I think the point is that with multiple 2nd round picks we can afford to spend one of them (even the highest) on a sure thing like Kapanen while still having the additional picks to use on higher upside players who may or may not bust.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
I don’t know if I’d say homerun, he had one decent season with 20 goals on an offensively stacked leafs teams which no doubt helped him, don’t think he gets that here and our pick would be #35 , rather keep it and go for a bjnornfot or beecher, someone who with real upside or someone who slips out of the first round

I’d say for a team like mtl that just missed the playoffs by one point who are competing now unlike us then giving up a 50th is worth a shot
First of all, offer sheets happen on or after July 1st. This means none of our picks this year would be moving. If you can get Kapanen for a 2nd round pick next year that's fantastic. He is a homerun 2nd round pick. Kap would likely be our 5th best forward moving into next season. Having more good forwards gives us flexibility to move out other forwards for help on the back end. Having a log jam of good forwards is never a bad scenario, especially ones that can skate and shoot the puck like Kapanen can.

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->