News Article: Sportsnet: 7 teams pose threat for offersheets, DET included

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I'd do it, but I don't think we do. Seems that most teams have an unwritten understanding not to do it.

I'd offer up to the - $8,454,872-$10,568,589: Two first-round picks, one second-round pick, one third-round pick - salary and compensation range

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The NHL should have the NBA's policy on offer sheets. Zero compensation and a team has 7 days to match. Giving up 4 first rounders is absurd. The only way you offer a player that is if you know the team can't/won't match. There's literally like 5 players in the whole league worth 4 1st's. Offer sheets are basically trading players for picks...

Reactions: PelagicJoe

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I don't think there's a good option here. Either you're overpaying a player to lure them away from a better team or you're giving up too many draft picks. Losing a 2nd to get Kapanen for 3-4 million is the only one that seems plausible to me but we don't need Kapanen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Losing a 2nd to get Kapanen for 3-4 million is the only one that seems plausible to me but we don't need Kapanen.
We don't? Last I checked, the defense likes to impersonate Swiss cheese even when healthy. I'd happily take Kapanen for 3-4 million.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hahaha, my bad. For some reason I was thinking he was a 2nd pairing defenseman. Carry on...

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Offer sheets require you to pay enough money and give up enough compensation for it to not be worth matching.

... Detroit shouldn't be giving up any 1st round picks right now.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
While I am fully aware Stevie is the type of guy who sees something he wants and goes for it, I'm not really seeing that it'd be worth the assets and salary to sign any of these players to offer sheets.

Then again, I'm not the GM. In Stevie we trust.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Second tier players are not getting offersheeted, and neither is anyone else. There is cap crunched teams every year, and no offersheets. Leon Draisaitl went 2 months into free agency and didn't get one, so they aren't happening.

Blueliner70

Mar 16, 2018
I'd tender an offersheet to Werenski. The Blue Jackets have cap issues and may not be able/willing to match.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Second tier players are not getting offersheeted, and neither is anyone else. There is cap crunched teams every year, and no offersheets. Leon Draisaitl went 2 months into free agency and didn't get one, so they aren't happening.
Well I don’t know about that I know we shouldn’t with the position we’re in but if the cost is simply a second round pick and let’s say Your the Montreal Canadians where you can’t attract free agents adding a kapanen for a 46th pick let’s say is an intriguing add I’d say ?

Or let’s say the canes who there have been trade rumours involving peace and nylander for a year, maybe they just say f it and target kapanen and give up the 60th?

Anyways I think the chances of teams offering up offer sheets to players are slim to none cause teams will most likely always match and trade them to that team or elsewhere for more value, Same with these second tier guys , leafs would just match and trade kapanen let’s say for 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a young player etc...

Offer sheets don’t work

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Well I don’t know about that I know we shouldn’t with the position we’re in but if the cost is simply a second round pick and let’s say Your the Montreal Canadians where you can’t attract free agents adding a kapanen for a 46th pick let’s say is an intriguing add I’d say ?

Or let’s say the canes who there have been trade rumours involving peace and nylander for a year, maybe they just say f it and target kapanen and give up the 60th?

Anyways I think the chances of teams offering up offer sheets to players are slim to none cause teams will most likely always match and trade them to that team or elsewhere for more value, Same with these second tier guys , leafs would just match and trade kapanen let’s say for 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a young player etc...

Offer sheets don’t work

When you match an OS, you cannot trade that player for a year. So if you match an offersheet, you have to trade someone else from your roster if it forces you into a bad deal.

And why would a team deal you two 2nds for a matched Kapanen even if that were possible when they could have just offered the deal and got him for one. Trading for RFAs is kind of based on what the compensation is. It's why Hamilton got dealt for the picks he did and when the Wings were trying to trade for Weber instead of OSing him, they still would have been looking at an offer closer to the value of 4 1sts.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
The draft is June 21, Free Agency is July 1. Draft picks forfeited would be 2020 picks onward.

I'd tender an offersheet to Werenski. The Blue Jackets have cap issues and may not be able/willing to match.

I think with Panarin/Bob/Duchene coming off the books and potentially leaving they'd match any offer sheet. Werenksi is probably the only player I'd risk it on though, being a great young defensemen and Larkin's buddy.

Now that I look at their CapFriendly page, they have Ryan Murray up as an RFA as well. He could be a target.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Let's say we'd offer sheet Sanheim / Provorov / Murray, I would be all over it for 4M AAV and would cost a 2nd rd, but I'm sure they would cost more than that. Any bigger fishes, like Connor, Marner or Point would be too much.

Rome wasn't built in a day, I guess patience is what this team needs.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The NHL should have the NBA's policy on offer sheets. Zero compensation and a team has 7 days to match. Giving up 4 first rounders is absurd. The only way you offer a player that is if you know the team can't/won't match. There's literally like 5 players in the whole league worth 4 1st's. Offer sheets are basically trading players for picks...

I can't see the owners wanting to move away from the current system suppresses RFA salaries, it would be quite the concession on their part. It's unfortunate from a fan perspective, but it also makes sense as to why the system is designed the way it currently is.

I wouldn't be opposed to throwing around a mid tier offer sheet to some of the RFAs currently available. I'd say we could likely sign away someone for a 2nd and potential trade them away in the future for more than that should the rebuild need to continue. I wouldn't sign anyone to an offer sheet where we need to give up a 1st as we're still quite a few pieces away from contending.

Given Yzerman's comments about this rebuild being a process I really don't see him making any offers to RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad