Sportsnet: Sportsnet 650 ' Canucks listening to offers on Virtanen'

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
There’s is no chance Virtanen is traded for spare parts. We drafted him early, have developed him, and he is now finally to look like a player. If you have a young top 4 defenseman that stings to loose, fine, but spare parts are not welcome.

Some of these offers have been decent though... I just don’t see him being moved.
Very surprised at the fact it has been so civil. I guess because the leafs and flames are not in the mix wqe only get their decent fans not the trolls

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
So then why is Vancouver moving him?
Who said he is being moved. A gms job is to listen. and when up to 11 teams have expressed serious interest you listen. It does not mean he will be traded. and i can promise you if he is. it will be from a gm who looks at Jake and sees a future pure PF who does everything well. You have to keep in mind he was injured his draft year. rushed his second year. Went down to Utica and bought into getting better. This summer he worked with the best shooter out there and it shows. He is not a 3rd liner. TG wants him to be a complete player. the offense is coming but other things are more important to his development first.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
As a Nucks fan I really would like to keep him - team is already soft and he seems like the type to be a later bloomer a la ferland.

Maybe a 1for1 for a young dman but would have to be a good offer.
Would you do Hamilton and for for Gudy JV and Goldy?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
You are basically right on Juolevi. That said, trading him for Brodziak makes no sense. They might as well hope Juolevi defies current forecasts and becomes a top 4 player.

Calm down about jones. What are you, his agent?
You have zero clue on OJ he was hurt this year before camp. He posted amazing numbers in the Finn elite league and the AHLHe was also the youngest in the 2017 draft. he is still just 20 every scout and people who actually follow him like his old GM who knows his stuff. Still says he is the best D from that draft and only injuries kept him from proving that.; God all you people act like he is 23vb and made no progress in the NHL. well, I could say Jones is older and still in the AHL and has less ppg then Oj so do your research bud. Look at Serg. still think he's the best D out of that draft? TB fans think he has totally regressed.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Yes he values Pouliot so much, he traded some guy named Pedan for him and pays him $1.1M on a one-year contract.

And he values Sbisa so much that he exposed him in the expansion draft and didn't sign him when he was a desperate UFA.

"Dim" :laugh:
Bam million likes if I could

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Sorry I watch pretty much every Oilers game and constantly back Oilers players up on here, but this total bull****. Jones played extremely poorly this year, suggesting he's been good in top 4 minutes is a complete fabrication, you act like people don't read your teams GDT's.
Well I guess the third option is you have no idea how to judge what is good play in a young d-man. Jones was partnered with Larsson on the top pairing for 15+ games and was thrown out as a rookie against the other teams top lines every night. While he made some rookie errors, he also made a ton a very good plays as well. Oiler fans were very pleasantly surprised at just how good he was. We know he isn't ready for a top 4 role just yet, but he is better than the rest of the bums on the third pairing. He is better right now than Petrovic, Manning, Benning, Gravel and probably Russell. It is in the teams long term best interest to send him back to get a chance to play big minutes as the number one d-man in Bakerfield.

I like Virtanen, but there is no chance I would move Jones for him. You are a Vancouver fan, so be ready for him on our blue line in the future as he will be here next year and for years to come.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Jones is a whipping boy on the Oiler board and this guy coming in here trying to make him sound like a top 4 dman.

PASSSSSSSSS

Although utica has tons of injuries right now. Id do Granlund for Jones then send Jones to the AHL ans help that Dcore.

Allows Goldobin to get back in the lineup too

I have to say I post a lot on that oiler board and I never really saw a ton of chat about Jones let alone him being a whipping boy. I am sure you could post a thread in there asking if the oilers would trade Jones for Virtanen and see if your right.

member 290103

Well I guess the third option is you have no idea how to judge what is good play in a young d-man. Jones was partnered with Larsson on the top pairing for 15+ games and was thrown out as a rookie against the other teams top lines every night. While he made some rookie errors, he also made a ton a very good plays as well. Oiler fans were very pleasantly surprised at just how good he was. We know he isn't ready for a top 4 role just yet, but he is better than the rest of the bums on the third pairing. He is better right now than Petrovic, Manning, Benning, Gravel and probably Russell. It is in the teams long term best interest to send him back to get a chance to play big minutes as the number one d-man in Bakerfield.

I like Virtanen, but there is no chance I would move Jones for him. You are a Vancouver fan, so be ready for him on our blue line in the future as he will be here next year and for years to come.

Again, if he is this good, why is he not on the team?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
A top 9 winger is not equivalent to a top 4 D
You sure?

Not worth Severson? Not worth Ian Cole?

If I understand correctly he’s worth a 5-6-7 to you guys?

Sorry, but I don’t agree. At worst he’s worth a top 4 d man. At best a top 3. All good we don’t agree.

I don’t think he’s getting dealt anyway so who cares.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Stop being a homer. I watch edmonton consistently and there’s no way Jones is top 4. On a team starved for defence you’d think you’d keep him and not send him down if he’s a top 4 dman no? :laugh:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jones and Virtanen are both about to become very important pieces on their respective teams. It would be stupid of either team to move them at this point in their careers. So i fully expect the Oilers to move Jones for a tweener forward....just kiddin Oiler fans....Jones is a stud and i wish we had him.

Seriously Virtanen should be going nowher without a big overpayment. He's 22 and the organization has gone through a lot to rebuild his game and professionalism. He's currently a 2-3 line tweener who is one of the fastest skaters in the league has a canon and can hit like a truck. He's not a good passer and still needs work on his intensity and game to game readiness as he can have a tendency to float but for sure he's just starting to scrtach the surface of his ceiling and is a rare skillset.

You would think our pinhead media at this point would get that Travis Green is giving tough love to these guys because he wants future winners and holds them to a higher standard then some of the placeholders on the team....oh well thats the Canadian media for ya

Reactions: iFan

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Of course they are listening to offers, Virtanen is a replaceable depth player and a disappointment for his draft position. Dumb as a rock with very little offensive upside. But he is young and plays a physical game, not surprised some GMs might be interested to find out how cheap he is now.

member 290103

Of course they are listening to offers, Virtanen is a replaceable depth player and a disappointment for his draft position. Dumb as a rock with very little offensive upside. But he is young and plays a physical game, not surprised some GMs might be interested to find out how cheap he is now.

His game has round into shape this past year. He no longer routinely skates in, cuts wide and just takes a waster of a shot. His passing has been better and he has always been decent defensively. I'd simply prefer they retain him rather than trade him for a bottom pairing d-man. He still has good upside, imo.

member 290103

Because the team in a losing season wants it's young guys building confidence in the AHL right now?

Really? How do you explain Puljujarvi and Yamamoto in the lineup then?

If Jones was anywhere the player he is made out to be here, he'd be in the lineup.

Reactions: mstad101

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Really? How do you explain Puljujarvi and Yamamoto in the lineup then?

If Jones was anywhere the player he is made out to be here, he'd be in the lineup.
He was in the lineup for quite a few games. Chiarelli was fired. They said the young guys should be in the AHL, sent Yamamoto and Jones down. Puljujarvi is up cause he is Hitchcock's pet project.

Jones is a good player and will be a good NHL player. Needs a few things ironed out but he is a surefire NHL guy next year.

member 290103

He was in the lineup for quite a few games. Chiarelli was fired. They said the young guys should be in the AHL, sent Yamamoto and Jones down. Puljujarvi is up cause he is Hitchcock's pet project.

Jones is a good player and will be a good NHL player. Needs a few things ironed out but he is a surefire NHL guy next year.

LOL, ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad