Sportsman Of The Year

Al Bundy*

In the history of Sports Illustrated, three times has their Sportsman Of The Year involved hockey: Bobby Orr in 1970, the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team in 1980, and Wayne Gretzky in 1982.

But can any of you recall any instances when there should have been another Sportsman Of The Year from the sport of hockey?

Last edited by a moderator:

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
In the history of Sports Illustrated, three times has their Sportsman Of The Year involved hockey: Bobby Orr in 1970, the U.S. Olympic Hockey Team in 1980, and Wayne Gretzky in 1982.

But can any of you recall any instances when there should have been another Sportsman Of The Year from the sport of hockey?

One that sticks out to me are:

1993-Mario Lemieux. Came back from cancer to still lead the league in scoring, and be named MVP. No offense Don Shula, but that was a magic year for Mario.

Also, I think a case could be made for Saku Koivu to share the 2002 award with Lance Armstrong, instead of David Robinson.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
How about in 1997 when Hasek won the Hart, Pearson and Vezina? Instead they gave it to Dean Smith. Like it shows you just how little attention the NHL gets in the US.

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006

There was one other hockey player honoured. I can't remember what year but in the 80's Sports Illustrated one year honoured multiple athletes as their "Sportsmen" of the year. There was about 7 chosen from various sports with an emphasis on charity. Bob Bourne of the Kings was one of the athletes on the cover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad