Sports Illustrated draft grades

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My Pens got themselves an A, and I agree. Staal was no surprise, several teams seemed to want to move up to get him, and the Pens were going to take one of three or four forwards, but finding Sneep and Strait, rated in several mocks as firsts, were very good finds in rounds two and three:

Pittsburgh Penguins
Count the Pens among the day's big winners, even if they had just five picks. Jordan Staal (2nd) was one of the most coveted players of the day -- think Keith Primeau with a better offensive upside. New GM Ray Shero also addressed the team's biggest weakness -- blueline depth -- with the savvy picks of Carl Sneep (32nd) and Brian Strait (65th) in rounds two and three. These aren't top end guys, but both have the size, smarts and leadership skills to contribute.

Grade: A

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/06/25/east.grades/1.html

Vic Rattlehead*

Good, SI realizes that the Bruins had a great draft. Kessel, Alexandrov, Lucic, and Marchand were all excellent picks.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think that the Isles should have gotten an A-. I thought they did well in getting Nolan-type players that will bring the grit and tenacity back to the Isles. In the future LI is going to be a very, very tough place to play.

IMO the Habs did very well too. I think that Fischer was the second best defenseman in this draft and the moved up and got their man. I would give them a B+.

I like what the Sabres did alot too and would move them up to an A. Pick for pick they might have had the best draft.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't like this article. "The Ducks addressed blueline depth with two of their first three picks". Makes it sound like we've got a problem back there, despite the fact we've got plenty of blue liners, nine of our top 20 in fact. We've got a (small) weakness in goal; which we did nothing about. A weakness as in we've not got many guys there (Levasseur and McKee are nice, but I want more than just those two).

But we don't need any pick from this draft to be part of the team any time soon. We've got a cup run to set up with the guys from the past drafts first.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
crashthenet said:
Did anybody actually read the Buf review? A glaring weakness in goal?

they probably mean a glaring need in the prospect system, not at the NHL level. though I don't know buffalo's goalie system and maybe they have someone else back there, dunno

scott99

May 13, 2005
Boston got the best player in the draft, Kessel. Count my words, he will be the best player to come out of this draft. I wish my Isles traded up to get him.

I think the Isles draft is more like a B instead of B-, though his comments were somewhat accurate. I think Marcinko in the 4th round was a steal.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Naru said:
I don't like this article. "The Ducks addressed blueline depth with two of their first three picks". Makes it sound like we've got a problem back there, despite the fact we've got plenty of blue liners, nine of our top 20 in fact. We've got a (small) weakness in goal; which we did nothing about. A weakness as in we've not got many guys there (Levasseur and McKee are nice, but I want more than just those two).

But we don't need any pick from this draft to be part of the team any time soon. We've got a cup run to set up with the guys from the past drafts first.

Anaheim was weak on the blueline. They have quantity but little quality. After Smid and Mikkelson, there's a drop to players with questionable potential such as Skinner, Kondratiev, Salcido and Klubertanz and players with a limited ceiling such as O'Brien, Rome and Sanders

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
The Lightning did a decent job with what they had, filling two of the three holes, in a) getting a number one netminder (have good depth, but no one has yet proven to be a game-breaker -- Helenius is as good as could be gotten this draft in that regard), and b) a potential, albeit still raw, future offensive defenseman with their first two picks. Hard to get the dynamic playmaking centerman of the future with so few options

A trade-up would have been great, a move for more picks would have helped, but with only four picks at your disposal, you have to make do with what you have.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Los Angeles Kings
The first draft under new GM Dean Lombardi should go a long way toward moving this franchise in the right direction. Jonathan Bernier (11th) was the consensus best goalie available in the draft. He could be in the NHL in three years. With the 17th overall pick, acquired from Minnesota in the Pavol Demitra trade, they tabbed Trevor Lewis, one of those kids whose stock kept rising as the draft approached. He has good size (6-foot-1, 192) and the hands to be a top-six forward. With little in the defensive cupboard, the Kings made a smart call in Joe Ryan (48th), a keep-it-simple blueliner with a nice physical edge to his game.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
scott99 said:
Boston got the best player in the draft, Kessel. Count my words, he will be the best player to come out of this draft. I wish my Isles traded up to get him.

:shakehead

If he would have been the best, he would have gone first not fifth

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Jaded-Fan said:
My Pens got themselves an A, and I agree. Staal was no surprise, several teams seemed to want to move up to get him, and the Pens were going to take one of three or four forwards, but finding Sneep and Strait, rated in several mocks as firsts, were very good finds in rounds two and three:

Pittsburgh Penguins
Count the Pens among the day's big winners, even if they had just five picks. Jordan Staal (2nd) was one of the most coveted players of the day -- think Keith Primeau with a better offensive upside. New GM Ray Shero also addressed the team's biggest weakness -- blueline depth -- with the savvy picks of Carl Sneep (32nd) and Brian Strait (65th) in rounds two and three. These aren't top end guys, but both have the size, smarts and leadership skills to contribute.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/06/25/east.grades/1.html

Really, how can a team mess up drafting 2nd thorughtout the draft. I know it's possible but highly unlikely.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Gotta love their review on the Sens. They comment on our 1st and our late 2nd rounder and totally forgeting about the rest of our picks...the ones that were good. Whatever. Looks to me the more players they recognized the higher grade they got, the Leafs only got comments on two players and had nothing but good things to say but they got a +C. :biglaugh:

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004
Washington Capitals

Nicklas Backstrom (4th) looks like the player most capable of jumping directly to the NHL -- an important element for a team that needs immediate help. He's expected eventually to center Alexander Ovechkin on the first line. Semen Varlamov mans the nets for the Russian Junior Nats, and while a bit of a stretch at 23, he's highly regarded. Watch for Francois Bouchard (35th) and center Brent Gwidt (157th) to help make this one of Washington's most productive classes ever.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
These rankings mean nothing and are a waste of time. Wait two or three years to see how well a team did.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Nitso said:
These rankings mean nothing and are a waste of time. Wait two or three years to see how well a team did.

Nitso, I know that you're new here, so I'm going to help you out.

You're allowed to skip threads which don't interest you.

You're welcome. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad