Sporting News: Top 50 NHL Prospects

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh c'mon man would you really be here defending Shestyorkin if you weren't a rangers fan? The Samsonov Shest. Sorokin debate is very close, to complain that the ranger goalie is ranked the lowest in this poll is a little silly.

Is that what I said? Maybe you should do a better job of reading what I said.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
This list was more short term than long term, barring some exceptions. In the short term -- this season -- Nedeljkovic has a very good chance at being a No. 2 or eventually play himself into the No. 1. Scott Darling isn't Mt. Everest.

Shestyorkin OTOH has to beat out Henrik Lundqvist, and wait until next year to do it. You of all people should know that a weak depth chart historically is the perfect chance for a rookie to distinguish himself. Shestyorkin won't have that opportunity for quite some time. Do I think he's NHL caliber and future No. 1? Yes, but I'm banking on Nedeljkovic making an impact earlier.

Besides, most goalies take anywhere from five to 10 years post-draft to really reach their prime. Ranking goalies as teens or early 20's is playing darts blindfolded. Both these kids will give us a clearer picture in two years anyway.

Why don't you call this "Top 50 NHL Prospects Weighted By Their Chances of Playing Next Season" then? It makes no sense to value Nedeljkovic more just because Carolina's other goalies are terrible.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Mrb1p

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Yeah, it makes no sense really, but then he has Petersson at 1 and he might not stick in the NHL.

That's great man. There's also a chance Dahlin, Svechnikov, Necas, Glass, etc, etc etc, won't stick with their teams too.
Seriously though, if you have sources that tell you Pettersson isn't gonna be with the big team, then I wanna know who it is. Everything I've read and heard so far concerning Petterssson makes it clear that he is in our top 6 next year and that he will be given a chance at center to start off the season. The only reason he wouldn't be is because he gets injured.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's great man. There's also a chance Dahlin, Svechnikov, Necas, Glass, etc, etc etc, won't stick with their teams too.
Seriously though, if you have sources that tell you Pettersson isn't gonna be with the big team, then I wanna know who it is. Everything I've read and heard so far concerning Petterssson makes it clear that he is in our top 6 next year and that he will be given a chance at center to start off the season. The only reason he wouldn't be is because he gets injured.
Theres 0 chance Dahlin isnt on the Sabres and Dahlin has the better potential

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Petterson will play on the Canucks this year. You can guarantee that. He’s already been playing against men in Sweden. The only question is whether he plays wing or center. He’s a lock along with Dahlin for the Sabres.

Curved Space

Apr 9, 2006
I like this list. I always like reading Steve's opinion on hockey prospects.
It is one man's opinion. I would totally understand why Steve would discontinue posting stuff like this.
Rude, butthurt posters (not everybody here) should stop insulting people who post like Steve.

MitchMurphy

Nov 29, 2017
Good list, Steve. People will have different opinions and rankings when it comes to prospects. It’s always good to discuss it. That’s what makes this board interesting.

Reactions: Steve Kournianos

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I like this list. I always like reading Steve's opinion on hockey prospects.
It is one man's opinion. I would totally understand why Steve would discontinue posting stuff like this.
Rude, ******** posters (not everybody here) should stop insulting people who post like Steve.

Thanks for the support but there's no way in hell I'm going to stop posting here because people hate my rankings. Part of the process and I don't mind it at all.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Steve, as a follow up to the Leafs prospect pool. In your opinion, what do you think is the potential upside for Johnsson?

Also, an under the radar prospect that you're particularly high on?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Steve, as a follow up to the Leafs prospect pool. In your opinion, what do you think is the potential upside for Johnsson?

Also, an under the radar prospect that you're particularly high on?

Watching him in both Sweden and the AHL reveals a player with top-6 upside. The question is it on a lesser team or a contender? He always stands out and usually pools together 3-5 shifts a game (sometime more) where he creates quality chances.

It's not the 1990s when putting up points in the AHL was the norm. It's no longer easy to put up gaudy stats, and I just put out a tweet that 71 points led the AHL in scoring last season -- the lowest since 1940-41.

That's why a kid like Johnsson should be considered a legit asset with more worth than your average AHL prospect. The AHL no longer is a rest stop for has-beens and wanna-be's. It's a legit farm system with kids taking over jobs from vets (sans a few exceptions like Rochester or Hershey but I think that changes this year).

I didn't like the Leafs' 2016 draft outside of Matthews and a few others, and same with 2017 outside of Liljegren, but I like the 2018 crop with Sandin, Durzi, Kral (a personal fave of mine) and of course, SDA. I think Kral is exactly what the Leafs need a stay-at-home type who can skate when necessary and not be guilty of creating those hysterical 5-on-1's (as in 5 Leafs covering one guy).

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
@Steve Kournianos

Can you give some feedback on why Kostin is so much higher than Kyrou? Kostin didn’t accomplish a lot last year other than getting his feet wet on the North American ice rink size. It’s not all his fault how he was used as the Blues couldn’t really call the shots. With St. Louis owning their AHL team this year I expect to see more of Kostin getting favorable ice time.

Contrast that with Kyrou, who looked bored at times last year, and still was the MVP. Kyrou, with his absolute elite skating, seems more NHL ready.

Just curious of about your thoughts.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
NHL prospect rankings: Top 50 players in NHL pipelines for 2018-19

Post-draft production had a role in this, especially if they produced in the AHL or NHL.

It's easy to make a list with just high draft picks, or put the most recent draftees at the very top. To me, AHL production has more weight than junior stats most of the time. But in some cases (like omitting Dylan Sikura for Heponiemi), I leaned towards some unproven types because their junior seasons were either historic or dominant (like Adam Boqvist).

I was lower on 2018 draftees than I would have liked to have been, but I also wanted to factor in Calder-winning readiness. That's why Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina are way higher.

New to the Forum, interesting list, interested how this list came about? Do you have live in game views on all the players already or is this just from gathering information? Thanks

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
To Sweden, To Toronto... Sporting News must have a heck of NHL scouting budget to work with.... who knew!

What many talk about when it comes to Johnsson is his ability to be versatile his skating allows him to move up and down a lineup, that has a lot of value in today's NHL....

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
@Steve Kournianos

Can you give some feedback on why Kostin is so much higher than Kyrou? Kostin didn’t accomplish a lot last year other than getting his feet wet on the North American ice rink size. It’s not all his fault how he was used as the Blues couldn’t really call the shots. With St. Louis owning their AHL team this year I expect to see more of Kostin getting favorable ice time.

Contrast that with Kyrou, who looked bored at times last year, and still was the MVP. Kyrou, with his absolute elite skating, seems more NHL ready.

Just curious of about your thoughts.

Several reasons.

1. Kyrou has had several marginal postseasons. Sarnia never has been a stacked team, but for whatever reason he saves his worst hockey for the playoffs. And I'm not going by only stats. He tends to stay more on the perimeter and isn't engaged, plus turnovers or 1-on-4's seem to increase.

2. I'm more impressed with 30 or so points as an AHL rookie teenager than 100 points as a fourth-year CHLer. To fair to Kyrou, he's made the proper progression and improves ever year. But I had Kostin in my top-10 in 2017 and Kyrou was ranked as a 3rd rounder. Kyrou has the higher bust potential IMO.

3. Kostin is more of a complete player. If Kyrou is suffocated or not on the PP he gets shut down. Kostin can be a playmaker, a shooter as well, but his physicality wears down opponents, even in the AHL.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
New to the Forum, interesting list, interested how this list came about? Do you have live in game views on all the players already or is this just from gathering information? Thanks

All players ranked are viewed either live or on streams (mostly streams) during their draft year or thereafter (if they have draft-eligible teammates). This year I spent more time watching the AHL.

I spend about $1500 a year on streams for pretty much every league you can think of. The AHL is the biggest ripoff because the quality sucks.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
All players ranked are viewed either live or on streams (mostly streams) during their draft year or thereafter (if they have draft-eligible teammates). This year I spent more time watching the AHL.

I spend about $1500 a year on streams for pretty much every league you can think of. The AHL is the biggest ripoff because the quality sucks.

Its Difficult to get a good read on players over video but I agree, AHL streams are god awful, which it mind boggling to me because you'd think Organizations would want decent video for not only their player evaluations but coaching...

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
@Steve Kournianos

Can you explain Dahlin at three ? I get it, you prefer Svechnikov, but you also prefer Pettersson ?
I'd have Pettersson over Svechnikov, so I don't really see much issue at all there. Personally, I'd rank Dahlin over Pettersson but it's not out of the realm of possibility that Pettersson could be better than Dahlin to start and, who the hell knows, maybe even down the road. Yes, Dahlin's pedigree is incredibly impressive but Pettersson's resume is also absurdly good. I can't think of a D+2 player with this much hype entering a season since Malkin.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd have Pettersson over Svechnikov, so I don't really see much issue at all there. Personally, I'd rank Dahlin over Pettersson but it's not out of the realm of possibility that Pettersson could be better than Dahlin to start and, who the hell knows, maybe even down the road. Yes, Dahlin's pedigree is incredibly impressive but Pettersson's resume is also absurdly good. I can't think of a D+2 player with this much hype entering a season since Malkin.
If all youre looking at is the next year then I agree... but then thats the wrong title

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Doesn't matter...its all about the here and now and being contrarian gets more clicks than being conventional...
Sometimes mindlessly appealing to larger fanbases also gets clicks. I disagree with some of his rankings but it's clear he put thought into his rankings and wasn't swayed by popular opinion. That's alot more respectable than people coming in here to bitch about their prospects that aren't "ranked correctly".

@Steve Kournianos why Timmins over Makar? I know they are close but Makar seems to have a much higher ceiling. Appreciate your list anyways. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad