Sporting News: Top 25 under 25 for 2019-20

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
from what I can see this has nothing to do with potential. Dunn last year was better than both of those guys so I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Exactly. People need to look at the 5v5 numbers. Dunn was sheltered much like most young defensemen but his rates were far better than Dahlin and Heiskanen, plus he was a regular on a Cup winner.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There are people who pay HF to allow their ads, and I don't see HF Sponsor under OP avatar. Meanwhile, OP does have advertisements on his site. Either everyone should have to pay for their ads, or no one should have to pay.

Posting entire lists -even really terrible ones- from an outside source is generally considered to be against site rules.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Imagine not only having Meier not in the 25, but actually under Labanc:laugh: Steve you crack me up

The HM’s were not supposed to be ranked. Sporting News did it without telling me. Meier is the superior 5v5 player but I had to include defensemen which is why he didn’t make the top 25. He would gave been 27 after Hischier.

Why was PLD there? XGFrel was 4.11 to 3.66. PDO was 1.024 to 0.994. HDGFrel was 8.86 to 2.77.

Meier has the better numbers elsewhere and was less sheltered. But he also spent more time with EK and Burns than PLD spent with Jones and Werenski, and that’s reflected in the point totals.

You’re a Sharks fan so I expect pushback. I gave the slightest edge to PLD for the reasons stated, also because his best season was draft-3 while Meier’s was draft-4.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Exactly. People need to look at the 5v5 numbers. Dunn was sheltered much like most young defensemen but his rates were far better than Dahlin and Heiskanen, plus he was a regular on a Cup winner.

With all due respect, screw rates, gimme the guys playing top minutes and producing at a slower clip per 60.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The HM’s were not supposed to be ranked. Sporting News did it without telling me. Meier is the superior 5v5 player but I had to include defensemen which is why he didn’t make the top 25. He would gave been 27 after Hischier.

Why was PLD there? XGFrel was 4.11 to 3.66. PDO was 1.024 to 0.994. HDGFrel was 8.86 to 2.77.

Meier has the better numbers elsewhere and was less sheltered. But he also spent more time with EK and Burns than PLD spent with Jones and Werenski, and that’s reflected in the point totals.

You’re a Sharks fan so I expect pushback. I gave the slightest edge to PLD for the reasons stated, also because his best season was draft-3 while Meier’s was draft-4.
why is it a good thing that PLD had a far higher PDO?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow. Wasn't expecting much for obvious reasons, but this one swiftly goes south as we get below rank 20 or so. Names such as Drouin, Nurse etc. over some of the omissions is simply dreadful. And let's wait for Kakko and Hughes to prove something at the NHL level before having them over players such as Ehlers.

Reactions: 204hockey

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Hughes 30 when he showed nothing in the NHL yet. Holy shit.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

If you put Labanc over Meier, you clearly don’t know enough about the players to make any kind of list like this.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I'd like to see how the people who make these lists defend putting Marner at 5. Seems like it's just to stir controversy.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If you put Labanc over Meier, you clearly don’t know enough about the players to make any kind of list like this.

Clearly stated Meier is better and I had nothing to do with the HM ranking and it was an editorial decision. I asked them to remove it. IMO HM’s should not be ranked otherwise it would be “Top 50 under 25”

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Still kinda of nuts that Jones + MackInnon are still under 25.... I get both played right out of the draft but I just feel like they are older.

Thought the same thing about Barkov. I did a double take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->