Sporting News: Top 25 under 25 for 2019-20

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
NHL top 25 under 25: Ranking hockey's best young stars for 2019-20

This list is not based on potential like other prospect or draft-related stuff I've done. This is based purely on resumes, with 2018-19 season production at 5v5 amongst 25-and-under peers the foundation of the analysis. Team success and the role that player on on that successful team also played a role. I tried not to read too much into QoT and QoC, but some were too obvious to overlook.

Lastly, this was finished in late September, so one or two on the list may technically not be "under 25".

Edit: The honorable mentions are in no specific order.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Started and immediately see Dahlin and Heiskanen below Dunn. What in the actual ****?
Yeah that was absolutely bizarre, not to mention guys like Boeser, Laine, Hart, Kakko, Hughes etc. below him too in the HM section.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
So the methodology used for this ranking is

***"""The players listed below belong to an elite group of performers who bear the responsibility of carrying the league to greater heights.They draw crowds, sell jerseys, dominate late-night highlights and stretch the history of their profession from common to legendary.""""

Not quite sure a player like Vince Dunn fits that criteria. Not hating on the player.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
How is Meier (despite his disappointing start this season) so much lower than Boeser and (the overrated) Connor? He is even listed after Konecny who is clearly an inferior player. Laine is also to low based of just one bad season. Marner over Pasternak and Rantanen seems fishy to...

Reactions: Connor McConnor

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Started and immediately see Dahlin and Heiskanen below Dunn. What in the actual ****?

from what I can see this has nothing to do with potential. Dunn last year was better than both of those guys so I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Reactions: uncleben

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So the methodology used for this ranking is

***"""The players listed below belong to an elite group of performers who bear the responsibility of carrying the league to greater heights.They draw crowds, sell jerseys, dominate late-night highlights and stretch the history of their profession from common to legendary.""""

Not quite sure a player like Vince Dunn fits that criteria. Not hating on the player.

I am Dunn with non-believers. Some people just cannot be conVinced.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
  1. McDavid
  2. Matthews
  3. MacKinnon
  4. Barkov
  5. Jones
  6. Point
  7. Marner
  8. Raantanen
  9. Draisaitl
  10. Pastrnak

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
from what I can see this has nothing to do with potential. Dunn last year was better than both of those guys so I don’t see anything wrong with it.
If they weren't taking potential into account I don't think they'd have someone like McAvoy that high, who has had 2 injury-plagued seasons.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Labanc above Meier... or on the list above Nylander, Guentzel, etc? Idk man.

Btw, McDavid didn’t lead the league in assists, that was Kucherov.

Don’t wanna be a hater, but this was questionable.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Is this really necessary?

I may not love the list but this guy put a lot of work into it, he deserves at least a click.

There are people who pay HF to allow their ads, and I don't see HF Sponsor under OP avatar. Meanwhile, OP does have advertisements on his site. Either everyone should have to pay for their ads, or no one should have to pay.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
There are people who pay HF to allow their ads, and I don't see HF Sponsor under OP avatar. Meanwhile, OP does have advertisements on his site. Either everyone should have to pay for their ads, or no one should have to pay.

Fair enough, I thought sponsors got articles but if they are competing in this space then I get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad