Spooner

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would have been nice to trade Nielsen for him. Can we pick him up and waive Nielsen?

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Not interested in Spooner unless it’s part of a trade to send Nyquist there

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd be interested in Spooner but not at his full cap hit. If edmonton wants to move him, they're either eating salary or taking some back, if not packaging a pick with it as well. that is really his biggest appeal - that we could maybe siphon more assets off Edmonton just because we're willing to take him off their hands. The better the asset they package, the more salary the Wings would take on.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He makes 4.0 mil/yr.....NYR retained 900,000.

I wonder what the record is for one player being paid by the most number of teams at the same time?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm betting all 30 GM's, even if interested in Spooner, let him clear.

If Spooner and Rattie get claimed, the Oilers would no longer be over the ceiling and off the hook. I'm sure other GM's are hoping they can cash in by collecting some other assets from the Oilers to take some of their bad salary (like Spooner).

If Spooner clears, Chiarelli still needs to clear something like 500-600k less than what Spooners buried cap hit is, so he'd probably get desperate enough to shell out other assets to get rid of the contract if it's still on the books...

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
f*** NO. Stay away, far away. If the oilers want help out of their cap nightmare they can package picks and prospects.

As an Edmontonian I have negative interest in claiming spooner off waivers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He makes 4.0 mil/yr.....NYR retained 900,000.

I wonder what the record is for one player being paid by the most number of teams at the same time?
Vanek was paid by 3 teams (Wild buyout, Red Wings 50% retention, Florida) when the Wings traded him the last go around. I can't find any players paid by 4...

Reactions: NEWing

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
You can’t put much stock in players failing in EDM tbh. Culture of failing

In fairness to the Oilers, Spooners game fell off before he got there.

While with the Rangers, 13 of his 16 points there last season came in his first 8 games. After that, 3G 2A and -12 in 28 games, before he was sent to Edmonton.

Before that he seemed to be a mixed bag to Bruins fans and was even a healthy scratch for a couple games in the 2017 playoffs.

If he was coming in at a "just got bought out" or "didn't get qualified" reclamation project price, then I'd be open to give him a shot. But not for $3.1M for the rest of this season and then next season.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Thought there would be more interest in a 26 year old who had 41 points in 59 games last year with only a year left. I’m all for claiming him. You can’t put much stock in players failing in EDM tbh. Culture of failing

From what I have seen he is soft, weak on the puck and only produces with a prime opportunity. He is the guy that is too good for the AHL but not good enough to be a top 6 forward on a contender but brings nothing to your bottom 6.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hopefully this is the last step before Edmonton resorts to trading Spooner + sweetener as a cap dump. I have zero interest in wasting $3.1M on Spooner next year but would happily do so if a 2nd, 3rd, Marody or the like were sent along with him.

• To DET: Spooner + 2019 2nd or 3rd or Marody
  • To EDM: McIlrath, Sateri, et al

Alternatively, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd happily take him in part of a larger trade as a means of negotiating up from two 2nds (or similar) to a first...
  • To DET: Spooner + 2019 1st
  • To EDM: Nyquist
  • To DET: Spooner + 2019 1st + 3rd
  • To EDM: Howard + Vanek
  • To DET: Spooner + 1st + Pool Party
  • To EDM: Howard + Nyquist
  • To DET: Spooner + 1st + Pool Party
  • To EDM: Green (25% ret) + Vanek

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Should we consider this?

Ryan Spooner
(23.4% retended) to make him move with a 2.375M caphit.
+ 1st round pick 2018
to Detroit

<>

Gustav Nyquist, 50% retented (2.375M caphit)
to Oilers

This is build to work with Oilers cap. They can't take more caphit in than they throw out. But idea is to retent both contracts, so that next year caphit for Spooner could be less, and we could do an easier buy-out or something like waiving is he busts totally. I retended maximum of Nyquist and then fix it same figure to Spooner.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Put him on a line with AA and helm and I think he would do well. Also a good PP guy when in Boston. Ya it’s 3.1 mill for this and next year, but he’s got talent and we shouldn’t be close to the cap with our situation. If he plays well we have a good asset to sell next deadline, or extend for the future as he’s only 26. I take the risk on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad