Proposal: Splish Splash do we need to take a bath?

Should we dive more?

• Total voters

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nothing I despise more than a dirty cheating diver Marchand, Gallagher, Tkachuk (Calgary), Abdellader all world class divers. All despised by most opposing fan bases because of their occasional four legged rodent unsportsmanlike behavior that draws penalties.

I remember a few years back Kadri receiving a lot of vitriol from fans (I was one of them) about his diving. No one likes a diver... I've always thought the game should be played within the rules but this years team's dominant PP is making me reconsider does the end justify the mean?

A few years back Montreal had a team of divers, I mean sneeze and they would fall, the Canadian Olympic diving team would be proud of Montreal's high degree of difficulty dives, they also had an extremely good PP and that was the difference between them being a bad team and a great team. I think they scored somewhere near a PP goal a game.

Imagine what damage this team could do if they were able to draw more penalties, we currently rank 13th in drawn PIM's and average less than 3 drawn PIM's per game , among the lowest in the league. We currently have 50% success rate on the PP.

So the question to the great Leaf Nation, do we believe playing strictly by the rules is the only way or do you think that having a few players who are able to draw penalties (aka dive) is fair play? Is diving cheating or is it just part of the game?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
LOL the title should be Splish Splash .... mods can you change the thread title please?

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No diving, ever! :shakehead

It's bad enough that we don't get as many legitimate calls as it is these days. If the Refs think we are a team of divers, we'll be getting even less calls IMHO. :(

And besides, the Russian judge will never give our guys fair scores! ;)

Reactions: Bluelines

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Players embellish because if they don't then the referee just ignores slashes and hooks.

Diving without contact is the absolute worst though.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The Salish people are the Aboriginal inhabitants of the Vancouver area. There is a move to rename the Georgia Straits waters as the Salish Sea. I thought the “Salish Splash” had something to do with situation of the Canucks!

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
PS A lot of fans of other teams would have Nazem Kadri on that list of divers already.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The Salish people are the Aboriginal inhabitants of the Vancouver area. There is a move to rename the Georgia Straits waters as the Salish Sea. I thought the “Salish Splash” had something to do with situation of the Canucks!

LOL... no it has to do with the poor typing of the OP

Reactions: 67Cup

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Splash thrown by a killer whale in the Salish Sea.

#salishsplash

misty-macduffy-splash-028-800x420.jpg

Reactions: 67Cup

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Nothing I despise more than a dirty cheating diver Marchand, Gallagher, Tkachuk (Calgary), Abdellader all world class divers. All despised by most opposing fan bases because of their occasional four legged rodent unsportsmanlike behavior that draws penalties.

I remember a few years back Kadri receiving a lot of vitriol from fans (I was one of them) about his diving. No one likes a diver... I've always thought the game should be played within the rules but this years team's dominant PP is making me reconsider does the end justify the mean?

A few years back Montreal had a team of divers, I mean sneeze and they would fall, the Canadian Olympic diving team would be proud of Montreal's high degree of difficulty dives, they also had an extremely good PP and that was the difference between them being a bad team and a great team. I think they scored somewhere near a PP goal a game.

Imagine what damage this team could do if they were able to draw more penalties, we currently rank 13th in drawn PIM's and average less than 3 drawn PIM's per game , among the lowest in the league. We currently have 50% success rate on the PP.

So the question to the great Leaf Nation, do we believe playing strictly by the rules is the only way or do you think that having a few players who are able to draw penalties (aka dive) is fair play? Is diving cheating or is it just part of the game?

Ridiculous thread .... BUT.... I will drop some knowledge:

1) Diving is only cheating if done wrong (just like hitting is only cheating if done wrong).
2) Diving is not part of the game & never will be (because it's embarrassing).
3) Diving during the season won't help the Leafs win a cup (it will probably hurt).
4) A successful dive may draw a penalty but won't fool the cameras (the refs will take note).
5) If the pattern continues, the diver will be red-flagged (and real penalties won't be called).
6) This would become a handicap in the playoffs (penalties are already less frequent).
7) Diving is only an effective strategy if the season is on the line (within 1 or 2 games).
8) It's also most effective in period 3 (ensures the refs don't review & 'even-up' the game).

But go watch soccer bruh .... the dives are dope AF.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kadri wasn’t a diver, he was an embellisher and he was damn good at it. I think the majority of the league embellishes and a small percentage dive or do that slimy thing with the opponents stick where they try to make it look like they are hooked. It was nice having Naz draw all of those penalties but his game is defence now and not taking himself out of position by being an aggressive offensive player. He’s fully bought into what Babcock wants from him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Now that the Leafs are struggling ...maybe we consider a little more soccer like activity on the frozen pond?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad