Spitting Chiclets Mike Richards

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

Thought it should have its own thread.

Highlights for me:

Matt Greene was a great teammate. Held the team together during Sutter years. Explains why (to me) he was resigned over Mitchell.

Sutter was a hard ass but the team needed it.

Dry Island nonsense. Surprise, players like to party but also work hard. Also the media bs in Philly.

Carter did not want to go to CBus (Again I’m terribly shocked). They had a hand shake agreement not to be traded from Philly.

Also just think Richards body broke down. Not sure what he had to do to manage pain but I wish he could have lived up to his potential over the corse of his entire contract.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I wish they would have at least touched base on his AHL role, what was asked of him down there before coming back up and his time in Washington. Otherwise loved it.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I wish they would have at least touched base on his AHL role, what was asked of him down there before coming back up and his time in Washington. Otherwise loved it.
Yeah, was surprised when Biz said you could see he had slowed down.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

They did talk about his stint in the AHL....but not Washington.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
The things they didn't ask about were the most revealing. Nothing about the arrest or the contract termination.
It's public knowledge that Mike doesn't like the media. We can safely assume that they agreed not to ask about certain things

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
really enjoyed this interview. As a Richie homer myself, dude is just a pro. Had nothing bad to say about anyone.

Highlight for me was him talking about Forsberg when he played with Philly. First day on the ice everyone just stopped and stared in amazement at Forsberg skill level.

Hope Richie is enjoying getting paid by the kings to go fishing until 2032.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i miss the mike richards pre-2014 like i miss deadmarsh

I had never drawn that connection until this mention, wow, yeah.

Watching the quiet Richards just mow people down in 2012--starting with Burrows--was just something else. And it really set the tone--this team didn't chirp or anything (except Drew, lol), just keep your mouth shut and play hard till the whistle. Richards. Brown. Mitchell. Greene. Williams. Can go on and on about those guys and more, every single one of them had that same "this is gonna get done whether you like it or not" quiet confidence until their bodies just couldn't keep up with their will.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This was a good listen. The guy has a dream life, summers up north fishing and golfing and winters somewhere warm, with millions in the bank and millions still rolling in for the next 13 years.

I don't blame him for not discussing the border incident whether he signed an NDA or not, I think everyone has a pretty good idea of what was going on. As a Kings fan it greatly helped the teams cap situation that his contract was terminated, but I still think it was overall in poor taste.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He was the tipping point, it was short-lived but worth it. First time I saw him on the ice for the Kings I knew our second line center prayers had been answered. He was phenomenal when we needed him most.

I liked the interview. I wish I had his life. It would have been nice if things had happened differently toward the end. Lombardi could have definitely handled things better, but it's hard not to wish the guy nothing but the best.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I still say his body was still serviceable but it was his head that was messed up, physically, and it was the combination of two hits that led to concussions that did him in. How can you skate or hit at full speed, risking that impact, knowing your own noggin was mush that was barely holding together?

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Richards was my favorite non LA King before being traded here.

He's gritty, could make plays, fantastic in his own end of the ice, and had some really great leadership qualities. Glad to have seen him win here in LA.

Mike+Richards+Montreal+Canadiens+v+Philadelphia+h98bWf8cyttl.jpg

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I still say his body was still serviceable but it was his head that was messed up, physically, and it was the combination of two hits that led to concussions that did him in. How can you skate or hit at full speed, risking that impact, knowing your own noggin was mush that was barely holding together?
I mean, not disagreeing with you but his head is attached to his body.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think it was the season before he was traded to us, the Flyers played a game in LA and Richards just abused us and I remember going to my dad and said I would give anything to have Mike Richards on this team. And when the trade happened I was ecstatic even though I didn't like giving up Schenn or Simmer, but I knew it would be worth it.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

That hit in the 2013 playoffs vs the Hawks was his undoing .

Reactions: Rorschach

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I think it was the season before he was traded to us, the Flyers played a game in LA and Richards just abused us and I remember going to my dad and said I would give anything to have Mike Richards on this team. And when the trade happened I was ecstatic even though I didn't like giving up Schenn or Simmer, but I knew it would be worth it.
I remember that game like it was yesterday.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Richards was my favorite non LA King before being traded here.

He's gritty, could make plays, fantastic in his own end of the ice, and had some really great leadership qualities. Glad to have seen him win here in LA.

Mike+Richards+Montreal+Canadiens+v+Philadelphia+h98bWf8cyttl.jpg

God I wish he was still playing. Even if he was a 3rd liner at this point would have been great to watch him. That Philly run in 2010 (may have year wrong but year they lost to Chicago) was something else.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Simmonds was my favorite King at the time of that deal and I was still jacked about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->